850 Maps?

They certainly are.......

A report in a UK forum (for what it's worth) said the CS in the UK told the poster that TT had run into difficulties getting the new 850 maps to fit the units and things would be delayed a couple of weeks.......

I hope TomTom releases the extra large maps too for people with a large SD card.

Also, I don't understand why TomTom would have the map not fitting issue. The newer units come with 4GB of memory. I know there are 2GB units out there, but make the 4GB version maps available for people with > 2GB TomToms.

Also, the maps are under 2GB for too long anyways. Just release a really detailed, complete, 3.5GB map.

Those models with 4 gigs are to handle BOTH European and North American maps. There is no individual map that is over 3 gigs in size.

Thanks, makes you wonder what new features or what it may be that made them hard to fit.
Probably just more of the same. Things were already getting tight. Figure they've been adding roads and speeds and ... it all adds up.

There is some talk floating around that the problem may be this:

The new TT 1000 for Europe, when it arrives, is purportedly got a new feature of having every conceivable route already stored in a file for instant navigation. Well, the story goes...........

This file takes up 1/2 gig file size and, somehow, TT distributed (in error) this file to ALL 850 maps! Well, that wasn't gonna work, so now they are scrambling to fix the foul-up before the maps are released.

Now, all this is simply unfounded rumour, but based upon the fact that TT has screwed up map sizes before, it makes for a viable story..............:p

Tomtom just released app 9.053 for the XL LIVE in Europe.

Perhaps they were holding off maps to get all the 2009 models onto Navcore9 so that favorites won't be lost.

For 2008 models owners (ONE/XL/GO X30, and GO x40) we may be out of luck...

Perhaps they were holding off maps to get all the 2009 models onto Navcore9 so that favorites won't be lost.

Yeah, well ... I've grown accustomed to the mapsettings.cfg tweaking game every time. I hope TT gets another 10,000 phone tech support calls from those who are yet again surprised to see their favorites go away and don't know how to recover. There's really no reason for this to keep happening. What's it got to do with Navcore9? If they wanted to, they could use Home to preserve the original and restore it.

Yeah, well ... I've grown accustomed to the mapsettings.cfg tweaking game every time. I hope TT gets another 10,000 phone tech support calls from those who are yet again surprised to see their favorites go away and don't know how to recover. There's really no reason for this to keep happening. What's it got to do with Navcore9? If they wanted to, they could use Home to preserve the original and restore it.

Right on Canderson

Hmm so is the GO740 a 2008 model even thoughj I bought it in Oct/Nov 2009? I would be pretty unhappy if we cant have Navcore9.

Pissed right now as my mapupdate service is not working again and I bought it 3mo ago, which means I will have to deal with CS again for who knows how many hours

Last edited:
Pissed right now as my mapupdate service is not working again and I bought it 3mo ago, which means I will have to deal with CS again for who knows how many hours

Map 850 hasn't been released yet. There appears to have been some delay. So if you're on map 845, nothings broken with your map update service (yet).

Map 850 hasn't been released yet. There appears to have been some delay. So if you're on map 845, nothings broken with your map update service (yet).

No the issue is it is asking me to buy the service again, when I connect to tomtom home. Yes I updated to the new TT home app.

I have had 2 740s and both would not work correctly to offer mapudate service, it took me forever to get TT to do anything. Blah.

If I remember right, all the "buy the map update service" nag screens appear whether your map update service is active or not.

The only way (that I know of) to know if MUS is active is when a new map comes out it should automatically be offered in "Update my GO".

If I remember right, all the "buy the map update service" nag screens appear whether your map update service is active or not.

The only way (that I know of) to know if MUS is active is when a new map comes out it should automatically be offered in "Update my GO".

OK thanks.

Ask a Question