825 or 1005

just cant make up my mind between the 825 and the 1005.
First off is there anyway to know if the 1005 will come with an sd slot? if its the new one with twitter?

now the real problems: 825 has the integrated mounting bracket and its going to be a pain unmounting and mouting every time i get in and out of the car. The 1005 of course has the snap magnetic mount making this easy.

the 1005 has the reflective mount which so many people have moaned about and i really dont want the sat nav coevred in fingerprints and not very visble every time the sun shines. But then it has the better speaker.

which one to go for?

open to other suggestions and would have gone for the navigon 92 premium live if i could find some reviews on it but seems theres little out there. But it beats the above two for voice control. I wonder if it can can compete on traffic and route accuracy though?

Hi,

I cannot tell you which one to choose. Both devices have their own qualities and you'll have to decide which ones are more important for you. I've added a link to the official TT forum below where I described the differences between those two devices and additionally the 1000.

Differences between 825, 1000 and 1005

Concerning knowing if it is the device with an sd slot I recommend asking the shop clerk if the box could be opened to check for that feature or if it shall be ordered via the internet to ask the seller to confirm it is the device including the sd slot.

Regards
Lars.

Bit late I know, but for me the deal breaker would be the mount for the Go825.

I hate the integrated mounts - far too fiddly to fix and tighten, especially with a 5" screen model.

True. But...

I guess it depends on what you expect to leave in the car and what you would take with you every time you leave.

I always take my TomToms with me even when paying for petrol, but I leave the mounts in place or in the glovebox of the car if it's for a longer period.
Therefore I don't mind having a bit of an unwieldy mount, but I DO want the TT to release from it really quickly and easily, and I want the device itself to be as small and flat as possible when put it in my pocket or bag.

I've not a lot of experience of Brodit mounts, but with a Go925 l think you'd always end up with part of the mount as a lump on the back of the device whenever you carry it around.

And if you dash mount the 825 with the existing mount, you still have the problem of getting your hands round the back to rotate the locking ring every time, an action that I find really awkward.
See if you can get to handle one in a shop and try it for yourself.

yes my situation is the same as yours. The rear mount section on the unit is removable and the brodit is a passive unit where you just slip the 825 in and out.

Yup, from the replies I think everyone was aware of that...
But it still means that half of the third-party mount has to be left attached to the device when you put it in your pocket.

When I'm in California (which won't let me use my standard window mount) I take off the TT builtin mount from my 1535M LIVE (same thing as a 825LIVE in Europe), and use a universal gripper type of vent mount (my model is here).

Then I just leave the mount in the car.

Working here, dhn. Bracketron Universal GPS Grip-iT Rotating Vent Mount from Target.

Strange, not for me........Google says 'Oops! Link appears to be broken'. Using IE9, if that matters.

having tried both i can say 1005 v2 is a big step up from the 825. The mount is way better. The speaker way better, less errors on voice command and much nicer reponse to screen taps. Build quality feels much nice too. The power button on top rather than the back is also nice.

Ask a Question