8.302 & 825 maps

TomTom Model(s)
Go920
I just installed the 8.302 update AND the 825 maps on my 920, and so far, so good.
Last Friday, I took a little trip with my 8.3 firmware and 725 maps and had terrible stuttering. I noticed that it'd clear up for a while if I pulled the power cord out of the TomTom, but after plugging it back in, the stutter started up again after a few minutes.

Today, with the new firmware and map, I took the same trip, and no stuttering!

I realize that 1 test does't confirm that they've fixed the problem, but for me at least, it's promising.:)

Volume

I didn't notice any difference in volume.

Interestingly, on the tomtom site at tomtom.com/6141 is this:
Version 8.302
(TomTom GO x20 and x30 series)

Fixes faltering computer voices

so it looks like they DID work on it!

I've spent two days uploading and clearing my 920 with 8.302 and 825 maps with total frustration. Spoken voice for addresses doesn't work. Compass is gone, None of my Bazar ( tripmaster, etc) and switching back and forth to custom menu works. Also the 8ver maps have a 1/3 less POI data base.
Tomtom says it is to give more room for other programs? Right!!.
Am staying with ver 7 untill it is fixed for good.

There appear to be quite a few of the 3rd party solutions that no longer work under 8.x applications. TomTom no longer offers support files for the 3rd party developers.

I also updated to 8.302 and 825 NA 2G internal and 825 WE SD card.
Works fine!
More ALG too. Keep fingers crossed!

I got the 825 maps using my about to expire one year map guarantee but after installing on my 920, the unit is not seeing the maps. I still have version 8.01 of the OS, but I seem to remember seeing something about needing version 8.3 or later for the new maps, is that true? If so, I've had no luck getting 8.3 or 8.302 to work on my unit. The unit goes into a perpetual restart mode when I install 8.3 or 8.302. Has anyone had a similar problem with the new OS and found a fix?

Try deleting the MapSettings.cfg file in the map folder using Explorer. Load application 8.302. A new file s/b created by the application.

Try deleting the MapSettings.cfg file in the map folder using Explorer. Load application 8.302. A new file s/b created by the application.

I could have sworn I tried that originally but apparently not. Deleting the MapSettings.cfg file and reinstalling 8.302 seems to have worked. Thanks.

I've spent two days uploading and clearing my 920 with 8.302 and 825 maps with total frustration. Spoken voice for addresses doesn't work. Compass is gone, None of my Bazar ( tripmaster, etc) and switching back and forth to custom menu works. Also the 8ver maps have a 1/3 less POI data base.
Tomtom says it is to give more room for other programs? Right!!.
Am staying with ver 7 untill it is fixed for good.

The POI database should be the same size in terms of data. The file size is smaller as it's now more compressed, in that they merged shopping center POIs, etc.

The POI database should be the same size in terms of data. The file size is smaller as it's now more compressed, in that they merged shopping center POIs, etc.

Correct. We aren't getting any less POI's than we had before, If anything we have more, but the last 2 map releases were compressed differently than the others. The compression now is much higher, so the file itself is much smaller. I still see people trying to load their old huge 810 map database on their new maps(which doesn't work)

What we DO want though, is to have the POI database from a 920/930 unit since those do have a bigger database.

Solved!!

Ah, HA! That's how it broke! I copied my old Settings file, after the map update to restore the Favorites. Fortunately, the correct (renamed) file is still on the TomTom.

I'm going to have to copy out my Fav's by Lat & Long, so they can be hand re-entered into the new Settings file.

So, what else does this file contain, besides Favorites & Recent Destinations?

I'm going to have to copy out my Fav's by Lat & Long, so they can be hand re-entered into the new Settings file.
Why copy over your favorites?
You could just convert them to a POI category and transfer over
1. Change preferences
2. On Preferences 2 of 8 Manage POIs
3. Add POI category
4. Give it a name like 1_favorites
5. Select a picture for the marker (you can upload a better one latter)

6. Add POI
7. Select the POI category (1_favorites)
8. On the Add as POI screen Tap Favorite
9. Tap a favorite
10. Keep the name or rename
11. Give it a Phone number or just press OK
13. Repeat steps 6-12 for each Favorite

Now your favorites I mean custom POI category should not get deleted when you update maps if I have read about this correctly.

You can also use something like T.Y.R.E to create the custom POI category.

To create a custom POI Icon for Driving View
It needs to be a 24 x24 pixels Windows bitmap (*.bmp)
It needs to be named the same as your custom POI Category file (ov2 file)
So 1_favorites.bmp in this example

(Optional)
To create a Sharper POI Icon for recently travelled menu & POI warning
44 x44 pixels Windows bitmap (*.bmp)
It is like above but has a _X2 before the .bmp extension
So 1_favorites_X2.bmp

You can also set a Warning for your Custom POI category by clicking on "Warn when near POI" back at the Manage POIs screen

Now only if TomTom would make accessing "Add POI" as easy as "Add Favorite"
They should also add a "Add position to POI" in the Quick Menu

I will agree that using Favorites is quicker to access and add to but hopefully using a custom POI category will save having to loose Favorites.

If you have a SD card you can load your Backup to it and create the Custom POI on it and copy it over.
To bad TomTom Home will not detect a subst created virtual drive (at least I don't think it does)
I also don't know if Home will detect a backup on a CD/DVD but it doesn't have write permissions unless you used a RW.

Last edited:
Why copy over your favorites?
You could just convert them to a POI category and transfer over
I though of this, but when I'm delivery driving, it's less distracting to hit: "Nav To --> Favorites"

I would much prefer it if I could "Nav By Voice" to POI or Favorites.

I only have about 20 or so & copying them out last night, allowed my to cull a few from the list.

Besides Fav's & Recent's, "MapSettings.cfg" also holds your day & night Color Schemes. I couldn't find any other settings affected by its deletion.

Probably last known coordinates & possibly your 3D vs 2D selection, if so it defaults back to 3D (which I use).

After replacing the MapSettings.cfg with the original file which installed with 825, I'm still seeing the Round-Off Error, but I haven't experienced any stuttering....so far.

I'm going to re-enter some of the speed limits, on the suspicion that they were saved incorrectly by the previous Settings file. Maybe they'll round correctly, this time (quite a stretch).

If not, I'll probably have to reinstall the 825 map, and then put back all of the corrections & fav's. *Groan!* :(

Ask a Question