750 to 825 .ov2 not playing ball?!

Some of the more talented on this forum may possibly know the answer to this but I sure as hell don’t!
Started when my 750 went into a loop at start. I am off to France in 5 days time so thought I will not chance the 750 and bought an 825. So far delighted. I tried transferring the .Ov2 files from the files on my computer via the “add community content” All these files are those I created. Once copied, they show the POI category but the file is empty? :confused:Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and is there an easier way for me to get the POI’s over? Also, can I transfer the favourites over? It is really just the POI’s that are the main worry. I also have a South Africa map on my 750 that I download from TomTom, how do I transfer that?

Many thanks in anticipation
Piff60

What you're doing SHOULD work.
I'm assuming you have probably copied the POI files (both .ov2 and the associated .bmp icon file) to your PC before trying to put them on the new unit, in which case, you could try opening them in something like POIEdit on the PC to see if they look OK there.
(Download POIEdit from here using the "Current version" links at the bottom NOT the blue link for "My POI Manager")

If all is well, you SHOULD be able to use "Add community content" in MyTomTom as you say you've done.
If it's any help to check you've been doing it right, you could compare your steps to something I wrote a while ago, here:
How to add POIs, voices etc to the new TomToms (and to BACK THEM UP)

------
As for an "easier way" (and copying Favourites across too, there was an on-line tool called the "Content Transfer Assistant" which did exactly that, and it was available from the TomTom website. But last I heard it had stopped working and my link for it no longer works, so I reckon that in typical TomTom-style, they've dropped it rather then fixing it!

SO once you've got the POIs working, the only other way is to manually convert your Favourites on the old unit into POIs and then copy that across and convert them back again.

You MAY (repeat, MAY) need to reboot the 825 the first time that you add new POI files to it. It's been ages, but something in the back of my brain says that this was necessary the first time, and never again, and darned if I can recall why. So after you have used the Add Community Content and moved the files to your 825, try a drum reboot with the power button and see if they magically appear.

Hi
The POIEDIT site is giving a 404 so looked at the .ov2 via an online editor. All the POI's are there and showing what I believe is a longitude and latitude figures such as:

Port Vendre 42.5167 3.10569

It appears that all the information is there and it comes over to the 825 but when you open it up it just says no poi's found?
I have tried all your advice with both the .0v2 files and the bitmap images but no successes. Drum reset before and after transfer. I suppose that I could enter them all in manually if I have and the Long and Lat information? I just wonder why they don’t come over?:confused:
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks for your previous replies
Piff60

Hi,
If you try to download the POI Edit software, thats when you get the 404. The POI manager is still up.

Try as I might, still cant get the POI's to move over even tho all the information is still with the POI;s on the 750, it will just not transfer?
Any ideas?
Piff60

@Piff60
Let's start by seeing whether or not the files have actually been copied to your unit my MyTomTom.

With your device connected, please navigate to this url >>> http://169.254.255.1/personal/

See if there is a POI folder there, and if so, what content it might have.

Here is a direct link to the installer for the latest version of POI Edit that I have.

POIEdit

With that installed, you should be able to click on the POI files you see in canderson's link to the device at
http://169.254.255.1/personal/
and they should open directly in POIEdit (you may need to tell windows to open them with that program).

Thank You so much for the POIEDIT, it works a treat!:thumb:
I copied all the POI’s from my computer to the desk top and looked at them all through POIEDIT
All the files are there with the Longitude and Latitude and description. I sat for 3 hours and loaded them all into TOMTOM one by one under the correct heading and description. You know that as you just enter the last one you think to yourself, “I should really have checked after the first one”….. Well, even though it says “saved to TOMTOM” it was telling a little lie!
Funny as it is, it transferred 2 categories over the first time, no problem, so I came to the conclusion that the other may have been corrupt so did it manually. As it is brand new, I am going to take it back to the store and have a replacement, as I believe that it is faulty. When I got it the box was a little crumpled and open and when I questioned it they said they all came like that?!:confused:
Many thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated and I will post back and let you know!!
Piff

Well! All has been revealed! :eek:
I took it back to the store and the guy who was knowledgeable and seemed to know what he was talking about!
He asked of I had done a reset and I said yes……. He said “no a proper reset”?:confused:
He held the button and got the drums and then just continued to hold it and did a full hard reset? (New to me!) We had a look and hey presto they were all their!
However, the way you navigate to them is really different? I used to just input Navigate- POI- select the category- set the route. This time I have to tell it where it is near, set a city, then go into POI, then select a category and then find the POI ??!!
Still, at least it is working and a big thank you to all you guys…and girls who took the trouble to guide me through the mire!:thumb:
Best Wishes
Piff

Hmmm.. back to Post #3?

He held the button and got the drums and then just continued to hold it and did a full hard reset? (New to me!) We had a look and hey presto they were all their!

I don't think there is any difference in the actual level of reset you get if you
a. hold the power switch until you get the drums and then release, or
b. keep holding until you get the "BIOS" screen and then do another reset to get out of it.

Happy to be proved wrong though!

However, the way you navigate to them is really different? I used to just input Navigate- POI- select the category- set the route. This time I have to tell it where it is near, set a city, then go into POI, then select a category and then find the POI ??!!

Yes, this is all down to one single, VERY annoying change. Instead of the POI search algorithm searching the ENTIRE POI category, it now only searches (and shows you results on screen) for around 50 miles from your current position unless you specify a different starting point for the search..

In my simple case it now means that on old models I have a simple short list of all ma immediate family members in a PO and can easily select any one of them to visit.

but on a new model it looks like I have one less member of the family, because she lives a bit too far way from me.

I find this amazingly irritating as there is NO good reason for introducing the limitation, except seriously underpowered hardware on the new devices or sloppy programming, as the older models managed it effortlessly.!

Ask a Question