740T unstable after latest update

Have just updated my 740 Live the latest firmware. After months of trouble free use we are now experiencing:

Frequent reboots - the system reboots itself several times a day - annoying and dangerous while driving.

Performance seems sluggish - compared with the before the update route calculation takes significantly longer and we see much more "grey background" as the screen takes longer to build/refresh.

Questionable routing - this one is harder to pin down but routing seems less reliable, often taking us through the centre of town (london) when it didn't before. Traffic information is also questionable - we missed a theatre show last night as TomTom insisted there was no traffic en route when in fact the whole of the east end of london was suffering it's worst gridlock for a decade.

I would appreciate any advice on this as we rely on TT for our business and it's letting us down badly.

Are TT aware of these issues and busy on a fix? Can I revert to the older version of the firmware - if so how?

FYI this is a 6 month old unit untouched but for regular updates and we don't use bluetooth.

Many Thanks in advance, M

btw - how do I find the firmware version info on the device.

Last edited:
Tap the satellite bars to see what firmware version is installed on your unit.

When you say 'updates', are you referring to a new map or a new application? Do you have a backup prior to the latest update?

My 740 Live unstable too

I am having similar issues since the update and I too am reliant on my sat nav for my job.

Over the past two days, my Tom Tom keeps shutting itself off to reboot itself. Also a message keeps appearing in top right corner in a red box saying "Unable to store map settings: File access error".

Also, I have not been able to turn it off at the end of the trip whereas before, as soon as you shut the car engine down, it would automatically turn itself off. Eventually it reboots itself and once it does that, I can then turn it off in the usual way.

Yesterday mid journey and after the message in red box appeared for about the 100th time, the whole map froze which was really inconvenient as I was driving in an area I didn't know at all so had to pull over and as I was unable to turn it off, had to wait until the sat nav decided to reboot itself then reenter my destination.

Any advice please.

Download and run the Clear Flash tool found here: tomtom.com/6211

Run it 3 times.

Hi there,

Have downloaded and run three times but same message Unable to store, etc still coming up?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps a complete Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents followed by a format of the unit (not quickformat) and follow that with the Explorer restore.

TT740 Rebooting

Have just updated my 740 Live the latest firmware. After months of trouble free use we are now experiencing:

Frequent reboots - the system reboots itself several times a day - annoying and dangerous while driving.

Performance seems sluggish - compared with the before the update route calculation takes significantly longer and we see much more "grey background" as the screen takes longer to build/refresh.

Questionable routing - this one is harder to pin down but routing seems less reliable, often taking us through the centre of town (london) when it didn't before. Traffic information is also questionable - we missed a theatre show last night as TomTom insisted there was no traffic en route when in fact the whole of the east end of london was suffering it's worst gridlock for a decade.

I would appreciate any advice on this as we rely on TT for our business and it's letting us down badly.

Are TT aware of these issues and busy on a fix? Can I revert to the older version of the firmware - if so how?

Im not trying to jump in here and try and be an expert on the TT but after all the latest updates to my TT740 I started to have the rebooting problem also.....I hooked up my TT to my computer and did an error check with windows on my memory card and TT and according to windows it found several.....then fixed the errors and since then Ive had no more rebooting problems. I just thought I would throw that in here with the hopes that it might help someone.

Just did the error check and it seems to have done the trick. The truth will be tomorrow when I use it but thanks Barwellm for the input as it was really helpful.

Last edited:
The red warning message that pops up top right saying "Unable to store map settings - File acess error" is usually down to a corupt MapSettings.cfg file which will be in your active map folder, when this happens I normally connect the device to the PC and delete the "MapSettings.cfg" file that resides in the current active map folder on the device, when it re-boots the device will create a new file in the correct format but you will lose Home location and POI warnings and your favourites as a result of doing this - Mike

Tries the error check - I assume you mean on the main device as there is no removable SD cad that I can see.

No errors were found. Ran check drive again with "fix file system errors" checked and still no errors found to fix so I'm back at square one with an unstable device.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

mjingo, if you use bluetooth handsfree calling, there is a bug with software 8.35 and later that causes crashes after a few hours/days of use. See here.

This is different from Nell's "unable to store map settings" error, which is due to corruption on the internal filesystem. Of course the corruption could have been caused by a bluetooth-induced reboot right as it was saving data.

Last edited:
Just did the error check and it seems to have done the trick. The truth will be tomorrow when I use it but thanks Barwellm for the input as it was really helpful.

Neil

How did you do the error check??????

Ron

Windows Explorer-->Right click on the drive represented by the TomTom unit-->Properties-->Tools-->Check for errors.

Ask a Question