740 GO LIVE - is it safe to update?

A while back I updated to the 8.50 map which resulted in a loss of traffic and live services and (after many attempts by TomTomto fix) in a total meltdown of the unit. I got a new unit from my retailer which I have not updated in any way. Everything seems to work fine. I was told by TomTom support to not do anything until the issues were worked out. Does anyone know if it is safe to perform updates yet?

A while back I updated to the 8.50 map which resulted in a loss of traffic and live services and (after many attempts by TomTomto fix) in a total meltdown of the unit. I got a new unit from my retailer which I have not updated in any way. Everything seems to work fine. I was told by TomTom support to not do anything until the issues were worked out. Does anyone know if it is safe to perform updates yet?

Do make a full backup of the contents of the device before you attempt anything at all.

And I mean a FULL BACKUP - do not use the HOME software to do it - the backup done by that software is often found to be inadequate.

Follow instructions found elsewhere on this forum and make a full backup.

In short use a file manager such as Windows Explorer, connect the Tom Tom to computer, make a full copy of all files including hidden and system files from the device internal drive onto a separate new directory on your computer. If possible create a DVD Data Disk out of the directory to be doubly sure.

The instructions elsewhere on this forum give you exact details - so go ahead read them and take back up.

I haven't seen any issues in the US which are definitively caused by app upgrades, app issues are only in UK as far as I know.

I saw one report of an issue that was resolved with a map downgrade, but most Americans aren't reporting any improvement with a downgraded map.

Most USA issues seem to be tied to subscription renewals, or logging into your account while the free 3-month LIVE trial period is occurring. So make sure you don't log into your account on the Tomtom, and don't run "Operate my GO" which does an auto-login to your account.

I haven't seen any issues in the US which are definitively caused by app upgrades, app issues are only in UK as far as I know.

I saw one report of an issue that was resolved with a map downgrade, but most Americans aren't reporting any improvement with a downgraded map.

Most USA issues seem to be tied to subscription renewals, or logging into your account while the free 3-month LIVE trial period is occurring. So make sure you don't log into your account on the Tomtom, and don't run "Operate my GO" which does an auto-login to your account.

TT740TM Live here.

(1) Never experienced any problem with live subscription during first 90 days, and after finally getting 9.054 navcore update to install, can actually login and operate my TT from TTHome -- did have issue at first with 740 login trying incorrect user name and password, but that may have been my fat fingers.

(2) 850map worked good from start with the pre-9.054 navcore that came installed on my 740 when new. AS all caution, I did indeed do full backup right after receipt of tt new, and also immediately before and after new map. But, try as much as I could, I could not get 9.054 upgrade for as delivered navcore (9.051?) to work at all. Had to follow info in other thread to uninstall current navcore and go back to previous one (which was previous to one that came on the tt when new) avail from TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems, and then when prompted auto installed the new 9.054. Since, all has worked flawlessly.

With 9.054 and 850 map working like a dream, last week I even went to TT.com and subscribed to Live Services, renew mothly, right after alert popped up on my TT that my subscription needed renwal (one month left on free subscription.) So far no issues at all: subscription end date is correct for each and every live service avail in US and even no foreign currency conversion fee issues.

We shall see what happens first time auto renewal kicks in.:)

Chuck

TT740TM Live here.
With 9.054 and 850 map working like a dream, last week I even went to TT.com and subscribed to Live Services, renew mothly, right after alert popped up on my TT that my subscription needed renwal (one month left on free subscription.) So far no issues at all: subscription end date is correct for each and every live service avail in US and even no foreign currency conversion fee issues.
We shall see what happens first time auto renewal kicks in.:)
Chuck

You must be so lucky.

This monthly subscription seems to be available only to users from US.

It does not seem to be available here in UK. Here it seems to be 12 months payment all in advance and then the service level determined by Tom Tom without any guarantee as such.

Additionally subscribers from UK seem to be isolated from everyone else - I am not sure whether my present working UK trial subscription works while I would be visiting France next week. What I read on Tom Tom's own website suggests that they have plans to extend LIVE services in other countries to UK subscribers but seem to suggest not yet.

If it does not work in France then I would not be subscribing at all. Even if it did, I would consider only monthly subscription - not one lump sum paid in advance.

Shall report back after coming back about this.

You must be so lucky.

This monthly subscription seems to be available only to users from US.

It does not seem to be available here in UK. Here it seems to be 12 months payment all in advance and then the service level determined by Tom Tom without any guarantee as such.

Additionally subscribers from UK seem to be isolated from everyone else - I am not sure whether my present working UK trial subscription works while I would be visiting France next week. What I read on Tom Tom's own website suggests that they have plans to extend LIVE services in other countries to UK subscribers but seem to suggest not yet.

If it does not work in France then I would not be subscribing at all. Even if it did, I would consider only monthly subscription - not one lump sum paid in advance.

Shall report back after coming back about this.

Since in all our wisdom, the US has allowed multiple cell phone standards, we find that the GPS SIM chip in the TT740 is restricted from use in EUR (probably because International Data charges would be exhorbitant)and don't even have a way to install an EUR version SIM should we wish. Looking yesterday on the TomTom.com UK site, it sure seems to me your live services will work all throughout anywhere in EUR, but perhaps not all of the included services are supported in every country.

I for one will be really interested to hear what you experience.

As to being lucky, on the new TT units we're only offered two versions that support live services AND then are only offered a 90 day trial of "free" live services. You have many more live services capable TTs in UK and a full 12mos of "free" live services for each and every of those new or refreshed models.

Of course it could be argued nothing is free and the inflated initial purchase price recovers TT investment and needed profits, when all is said and done.

Chuck

Ask a Question