740 and strange new power connector

I gave my 720 to my stepson and got a new 740. I need to make it more portable for powering and connecting to the laptop without carrying the cradle and the window mount with me. With the 720, the motorola cellphone's car charger with mini-usb let me use the 720 as a hand-held when a passenger in another car. Plus a lightweight usb-to-mini-usb cord from a precious camera let me attach to the laptop.

Neither of these fit the 740 GPS itself. Instead it seems I have to carry the car charger and the window mount for use in another car; and I have to carry the cradle to hook up to the laptop. Lots of heavier equipment than the stuff I used with the 720.

I did find a web site with possible ideas, though a bit costly. I'd like to know if there are better ways to do what I need.

Here is the only thing I've found ---
TomTom GO 740 Accessories with TipExchange

1) TomTom GO 740 Straight USB Cable uses TipExchange for 17.95 goes from the GPS to the laptop's usb; then add 1 Amp High Output USB Car Charger Adapter with Power Surge Protection which converts the normal usb end to a cig lighter plug for another 8.95
2) for just the power and no laptop connector, TomTom GO 740 Car Charger uses TipExchange is 19.95

TomTom make a dedicated lead only which sounds like its what you are after, try This Link for more details - Mike

That is a start and I will print that info.

I would still need the adapter I mentioned that would convert the usb end to a car charger end. I won der if local stores would have that kind of adapter.

Thanks.

The connector I had mentioned before is just a mini-usb end and NOT the new long connector.

But, as mentioned above, Tomtom sells the connector with a regular usb end (to attach to computer) and the Gomadic company has a cig-lighter-plug adapter that attaches to the regular usb (NOT mini) so Tomtom's additional cord can also be used in a car.

Also, be aware that some functions (like auto-dimming) only work in the car dock. I'm not sure if a third party car charger will properly enable that.

You may want to buy a second dock for the other cars.

Ask a Question