730 will not lock on GPS sats like before

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I've had a new 730 for about 10 days. All software and GPS updates are the most recent. Until yesterday this unit would get a lock on satellites within a few seconds regardless of the weather or where I am (in my car or in even the basement of my house).

Yesterday I downloaded the latest GPS and map corrections update and a few new map colors. Afterwards, it wouldl not register a GPS lock unless I first use the reset button and then take the unit outside to "see" the satellites. Then it will work fine unless I shut it down for 5 minutes or so... then it requires the same procedure to get it to work again.

I deleted the latest GPS update but it made no difference.

Previously I had noticed that it would show that it was receiving up to 14 satellite signals on a cloudy day, now (when it is working) will register no more than 11 out in the open with clear skies. In the house where it previously registered about 8 now it connects to 3 or 4 (when it does connect). It is as if the sensitivity of the receiver suddenly stopped functioning properly.

Has anyone one had similar problems that you were able to fix?

I tried the search and found a few comments but no solutions thus far that have worked for me.

I don't know whether it'll help (It won't hurt) is to try the Clear Flash tool found here. Don't worry that the link may not reference your specific model.

I've got a One 125 and a few weeks ago, mine had similar issues. I wanted to be able to "Operate my One" through TomTom Home, so I downgraded(?) the firmware to v8.010. I thought I made a mistake because among a couple of other issues, like you, suddenly it was taking forever to acquire satellites.

One day, while I was connected to the PC, I went to "Items on my computer" in "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc." and saw QuickGPSfix Data, and hit "Add". I don't know why, but after that, I've had no problems.

Thank you for those suggestions.

I found this thread that also addressed my situation: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=13363&highlight=factory+reset

I tried the idea to reselect using the NA_2GB map (in the manage maps utility) while the GPS was seeking a satellite lock. Reselecting the map I was currently using (the only one on the unit anyway) started a new "seeking a signal" operation that locked in 30 seconds or so. This worked and so far the 730 is connecting again. I not 100% certain if it is locking on to as many satellites as before but it does appear to be back to normal.

I am quite relieved but a bit gun shy of using TomTom Home again because doing so was what started the problem. I think I will just do so when absolutely necessary and not worry about the almost daily GPS and map correction updates.

My TT730 has the same problem: After I downloaded the GPSquickfix yesterday (Feb 6), it has been showing "waiting for a valid GPS signal..." for a very long time and does not lock satellite as fast as before.

I think the GPSquickfix is corrupted, and I have been waiting for a new fix.

I tried your method of reselecting the map while TT is waiting for a GPS signal, but it apparently doesn't work for my TT.:mad:

Finally, I tried the CLEAN Flash method and did a reset and it worked! :)

You need to delete the QuickGPSfix from your device first

I finally got it working. The corrupted QuickGPSfix has to be removed from the device first. Then a hard reset and select new map and it picks up GPS signals much faster now.:D

This same issue has also afflicted my 930T after downloading the updates from the same day...I've restored degraded functionality with just a reset, but I'm probably going to have to blow away the last GPSquickfix along with using ClearFlash and a reset...

I'm surprised this issue isn't affecting more users...

Ray :)

Last edited:
I had th esame problem yesterday with my 720. Got a fix for the first leg of the trip, though not as quick as before. However, on the return, could not get a fix for over 40 minutes, ended up taking thel ong way home.

A newer (hopefully improved) GPSquickfix is now out. I took a chance and applied it to overwrite the problem one. The first time, downstairs in a house the 730 boots up and locked onto a signal within about 15 seconds ... so that seems good.

Later it took a few minutes and then the next day it took about 5 minutes... definitely much slower than before the latest GPSquickfix I installed. I should have left it as it was. It is locking on to a reasonable amount of satellites at least.

Deleted the current and previous GPSquickfix and reinstalled the previous good GPSquickfix then removed the SD card and did a reset. Turned the unit on and reselected the map I am using and the unit seemed to be working fine afterwards. Later, when the unit was operating I stuck in the SD card. I don't know if the SD card has any bearing on what files are kept in flash memory but I have a 16GB card that has a lot of mp3 files and photos. TomTom suggests removing the SD card when doing a reset anyway.

Last edited:

Ask a Question