730 vs 720

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I bought a GO 720 back in November from Costco. I just read that TomTom is coming out with a 730, which has 2 new features that I am interested in: IQ Routes and Advanced Lane Guidance. Will there be a firmware (I think this is what it's called) update available or will you have to purchase a 730? If there will be a firmware update, how much will it cost (from past experiences) and how does one get the update? If an update is not available, or if it's too costly, I may consider returning the 720 using Costco's generous return policy and upgrading to the 730.

One thing I've noticed using the Bluetooth on my 720, when I have the volume up high - like around 85% - there's a weird screeching type noise. It's brief but annoying and it happens more than once.

Another thing I don't like is that the 720 doesn't tell you which side of the street your destination is on. Do any of the TT models do this?

I bought a GO 720 back in November from Costco. I just read that TomTom is coming out with a 730, which has 2 new features that I am interested in: IQ Routes and Advanced Lane Guidance. Will there be a firmware (I think this is what it's called) update available or will you have to purchase a 730? If there will be a firmware update, how much will it cost (from past experiences) and how does one get the update? If an update is not available, or if it's too costly, I may consider returning the 720 using Costco's generous return policy and upgrading to the 730.

One thing I've noticed using the Bluetooth on my 720, when I have the volume up high - like around 85% - there's a weird screeching type noise. It's brief but annoying and it happens more than once.

Another thing I don't like is that the 720 doesn't tell you which side of the street your destination is on. Do any of the TT models do this?
I have heard rumors that there will be a firmware update to include those new features.
I would return your 720 because of the screech. Being that you bought it from Costco, you've got nothing to lose.

I have heard rumors that there will be a firmware update to include those new features.
I would return your 720 because of the screech. Being that you bought it from Costco, you've got nothing to lose.

A firmware update by itself will be insufficient to make use of IQ routing and other map features. Will also require the purchase of a new map with the features linked.

No, none of them do. This is a feature that Garmins have, though. However, aside from that and some neat trip stats, the TomTom is superior to the Garmin in every way imaginable.

I do with they would add both of those features, though.

Not sure if this implemented elsewhere in North America but, locally, even number addresses are located on the South or West side of streets while odd numbers are North or East side of roads.

May not "tell" you which side of the street.....but mine deffinatly [clearly] shows whether the address is located on left or right. There's a distinctive little hook that appears, showing address being either L or R.

Many replies [threads] about this issue. I guess some see it....some don't.

May not "tell" you which side of the street.....but mine deffinatly [clearly] shows whether the address is located on left or right. There's a distinctive little hook that appears, showing address being either L or R.

I see that one mine as well. It's rarely "dead on", but it gets you pretty close

I may not be paying close attention - I've always just seen the destination flag in the middle of the street.....where should I be looking for the little hook?

Last edited:
I may not be paying close attention - I've always just seen the destination flag in the middle of the street.....where should I be looking for the little hook?

I only use 3D. When you're aprox 1/8mi. -or- closer to destination , you'll see the "route color" making either a right or left. It's a very small 90? marking [hook]

Ask a Question