730 shuts down (low battery) while on car charger

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Just picked up a (like new) refurbished GO 730 and have fully charged the battery 1st thing, then backed up and downloaded the new maps. I have not used the gps at any time while off the pc or car charger. I used it a couple of days ago and yesterday for maybe 3/4 hours to test out all the features along with the routing and am very pleased with the unit.
Today as I was driving after about a half hour the gps shut down due to low battery and the gps was attached to the car charger.
Is this normal?
Does the unit charge itself when on the car charger while in use?

Thanks for any and all help...

It should charge while on and using the car charger.

Make sure the charger has power and the little light on the gps is on.

Sometimes a bad connection or blown fuse will keep the charger from working.

The usual cause is not seating the charger in your power plug firmly. Do you see a light on the charger base? There should be if it's receiving power.

Thanks PSJ and GatorGuy,
I had not noticed if the charger light was on at the time the gps shut down, but when I got home I checked the car charger for some kind of indication that the charger was working and did not notice a light untill after I plugged it in a couple of times. That I'm sure may have been the problem but once I knew the charger was working and plugged into the gps, the gps would still shut down due to low batteries only moments after it was turned on. Even if the battery has a low or not enough charge left to run it without any other power souce, I would think it should run with an external power source whatever level the battery is at???

When the unit senses the battery is at a low level (some report even at about 40%), it does shut down.

Keep the unit charging overnight while connected to its dock in the computer.

Then try again tomorrow in the car charger (ensuring the light on the charger and unit are both on) and see if it is better.

It should....sounds like you are going to have to return it.

I would think that with an external power source battery level would not matter. Will see tommorow when it's fully charged and I make sure the car charger light is on when plug in.
Thx...

pc charge overnight - battery shows 60%

I kept the TomTom on the pc charger overnight and while still on the pc charger I downloaded a couple of POIs and an itinerary. Shut down the gps and removed it from the pc charge, turned it on and went to status summary and the battery only shows about 60% of charge.
Is this typical, or should the battery show 100% after only on for five minutes without any external power source?

That's a bug in the application 3.51, showing a greatly reduced battery charge when removed from the dock. We all suffer from that one .........:(

tomtom shuts down

the same thing happens to me .it shuts down all the time.if you turn on the tomtom first then plug the in car charger its seems to stop the unit shuting down ,i think or is this because the battery is at a good level ?

Ask a Question