730 Powers down

TomTom Model(s)
I posted this before, before I knew what I was saying! Now I know how to better describe it (I think) so here goes!
I purchased a 730 and it worked great, no problems at all. I updated the firmware to 8.3 a month later and the 730 would power down by itself whenever it took a notion to (after about 30 to 40 minutes of operation). No problems with the car charger, the charging light is on, no issues with the cord or power supply itself. Roll the firmware back to the previous version...no problems at all. Customer support, uninstall, reinstall, reformat, send it back for replacement. I took it back to the store instead, have a brand new one in hand today.
Tonight, updated the map to 815, updated the firmware to 8.3...same problem. It powers down whenever it wishes to as if the battery is dying. Power/battery settings are correct...nothing seems to work. It doesnt power down during a route. No route programmed, it will power down after about 40minutes.
It seems that this is a firmware issue...anyone had this problem and is there a fix or work around for it? It's driving me crazy!
Thanks!
Dale

As noted under the 720 area, my 720 started rebooting (at least after powering down, it comes back up by itself) shortly after installing 8.3 firmware.

All I can suggest to you is to abuse the toll free number for TomTom often until they come out with another release that cleans up the mess on the floor that 8.3 has left. I've just this evening bailed on 8.300 entirely and am back to 8.010.

My TT power s down after setting for a while with no movement or input.
I thought that this might be a power saving feature....

My TT power s down after setting for a while with no movement or input.
I thought that this might be a power saving feature....

It might be......

Second page of batter savings preferences is 'switch off when external power is lost'

It's not the battery saving options, though PSJ's thoughts
powers down after +/-30 minutes if there is no movement or input
may be correct. I wonder is this something you "know" or just perhaps thinking?
Dale

It's not the battery saving options, though PSJ's thoughts may be correct. I wonder is this something you "know" or just perhaps thinking?
Dale

read it posted on some other GPS TomTom forum.

tested it for myself.

this feature is not adjustable or an option.

actually this feature is a good thing ( in a twisted way )

because 8.3 still has the...." turn itself on "....bug that many of the other version 8 navcores have....( except 8.002 )

8.3 is no where near as bad....but it does happen.

so now if the device does " turn itself on "....the battery won't be drained completely.

since I'm using the 8.15 maps and need the plus services....I'm stuck with 8.3....( or I would still be using 8.002 )

Last edited:
Good to know. This update has really screwed everything up. I'd prefer that it just stay on until I turn it off. I noticed that the update also killed my voice input. Im sure there are some other functions that are effected also that I'll eventually notice.

Tom Tom Answers...finally

After waiting over a week for a reply from Customer Service, they finally replied to my question.

"Dear Dale,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the TomTom GO 730 shutting off. My name is Ana. We are always happy to help. We understand the frustration such an issue might cause.

The TomTom powering off when there is no route planned is a feature that was automatically added by the application update to prevent the battery from being damaged. Just like nay electrical device with but in battery, it can not be completely drained because it will damage the battery.

If the feature is not of your liking, we will be more than happy to forward your feedback on the feature.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Ana
TomTom Customer Support"

Well Ana...it would be nice if you would tell Tom Tom to put that information out "before" we update so that we know why our units have gone nuts. Also, now that the firmware has been updated...I cannot use voice input. Is this another battery saving feature? If it's plugged in to the charger, then why would I worry about the battery draining? Arggghhhh!!!

Ask a Question