730, Phone External Speaker, will there EVER BE A FIX

hey folks, just picked up my TomTom 730 today, I was ALL excited when I seen that there was an FM transmitter, because I drive a diesel and have a hard time hearing the external speaker, only to be dissapointed that the phone doesnt come through the radio speakers, now I read on here that there use to be a fix, but after software upgrades that the option no longer works, people are also saying on here that TT is gonna have a fix for the problem, has anyone heard if there will EVER be a fix for what seems like such a simple problem!!! Otherwise seems like a great product!

hey folks, just picked up my TomTom 730 today, I was ALL excited when I seen that there was an FM transmitter, because I drive a diesel and have a hard time hearing the external speaker, only to be dissapointed that the phone doesnt come through the radio speakers, now I read on here that there use to be a fix, but after software upgrades that the option no longer works, people are also saying on here that TT is gonna have a fix for the problem, has anyone heard if there will EVER be a fix for what seems like such a simple problem!!! Otherwise seems like a great product!

Not sure if FM works with phone with this fix but perhaps give it a try, go Here and have a look at Mikealder's post 3rd from bottom.

because I drive a diesel and have a hard time hearing the external speaker,

Diesel Truck ? Tractor ?

If so, forget about the FM Modulator. It's only a usefull feature if your daily traveled route is the same and you know the local stations.

If you run nation-wide ? The FM Modulator is basically useless.
1. your selected freq will constanly change = sux
2. sound quality CAN quite often be less than enjoyable = sux

Affordable solution:
Purchase a replacement headunit [in dash radio] with a audio-input female jack. The cost of headunits, even full featued ones, priced in the $125-$200 range. The audio of the TT will play thru vehicle speakers....you simply plug a dual male ended mini cord from TT to radio. Seriously, you'd NEVER use that FM thangy if you'd hear the difference

MY Pick for best VALUE !! [owned for 8 months]

Alpine iDA-X200 Online for $150.00'ish

alpine.jpg

Alpine designed the iDA-X200 digital media receiver for you iPod lovers. Its USB input lets you connect the latest iPods and other portable audio sources, or you can use Alpine's optional KCE-422i cable to set up a "Full Speed" connection with older iPods. You get easy and fast music selection and the best possible sound quality, and the LCD display delivers song and system information with two lines of text. Leave your CDs at home

I agree with ChillyCat.
If you do travel nationwide and move from county to county, the FM transmitter is not the best choice unless you know the strongest stations throughout the trip.

BTW, the hands-free will only be submitted through the internal speaker.

Diesel Truck ? Tractor ?

If so, forget about the FM Modulator. It's only a usefull feature if your daily traveled route is the same and you know the local stations.

If you run nation-wide ? The FM Modulator is basically useless.
1. your selected freq will constanly change = sux
2. sound quality CAN quite often be less than enjoyable = sux

Affordable solution:
Purchase a replacement headunit [in dash radio] with a audio-input female jack. The cost of headunits, even full featued ones, priced in the $125-$200 range. The audio of the TT will play thru vehicle speakers....you simply plug a dual male ended mini cord from TT to radio. Seriously, you'd NEVER use that FM thangy if you'd hear the difference

+1000000

I have the Radio Shack $4 cable --- I'm fortunate that my factory head unit already had an Aux input jack. Forgot this TT thing even DID FM once ... I used the cable once, after which I am not sure I even care if FM is ever restored as a TT feature...

I'm not certain that I understand. I have a 720. I know I can get directions and music through the aux out. Is it possible to have the phone through aux out (leaving directions through the internal speaker)? I can easily toggle from the radio to the aux out if I have a phone call.

Thanks,

Howie

I'm not certain that I understand. I have a 720. I know I can get directions and music through the aux out. Is it possible to have the phone through aux out (leaving directions through the internal speaker)? I can easily toggle from the radio to the aux out if I have a phone call.

Thanks,

Howie

I do not believe so. TT once told me that the phone will always play thru the unit, no matter what. They indicated it was by design, so the call and the directions don't collide.

If you are on the phone, and relying on the speaker for directions, I believe directions are muted until the call ends.

IF if if you can get the phone to play thru the audio jack there is an even cheaper fix. Get an FM modulator and plug that into the audio jack (just as if you were using an ipod). That would be the CHEAPEST way to go w/o replacing the entire radio route. HTH

Mitch

IF if if you can get the phone to play thru the audio jack there is an even cheaper fix. Get an FM modulator and plug that into the audio jack (just as if you were using an ipod). That would be the CHEAPEST way to go w/o replacing the entire radio route. HTH

Mitch

Yes, but I don't think that's possible, according to TT. I mean, they're ALWAYS right... correct? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Howie

Sorry Howie, all phone calls are heard through the internal speaker.
It was possible once in the past. We are all hoping a solution arises.

Sorry Howie, all phone calls are heard through the internal speaker.
It was possible once in the past. We are all hoping a solution arises.

I was afraid that would be the answer. Bought a new Chevy Avalanche with On-Star. Love the quality of the On-Star phone but not the price (or the hassle with Verizon). Thought that the 720 with either the FM or audio jack out would work great. Use the internal speaker for directions and the car speakers for sound and phone. Hopefully, TomTom allows this in the future because I don't think GM will ever make it easy to use adapt the On-Star system for bluetooth.

The 720 works great in the Avalanche with a vent mount. Much improved from the 510 on a dash mount.

Howie

I use the audio out line which is connected to a tape cassette. The audio plays great through the car speakers for everything but the phone. It's tough to hear the phone through the TT 720 and find myself leaning forward our YELLING.
I heard "somewhere" that I can increase the volumn on my phone which should help. I have a Blackberry 8330. The call volumn can only be increased during the call. I can't seem to get the volumn greater than its current setting.

Ask a Question