730 and charging and battery life

TomTom Model(s)
Sorry if this was already covered but I couldn't find any info on the topic of charging my GO730.

I'm curious as to how to tell if and when the 730 is fully charged. While it's in the dock, I turn on the unit and go to the battery indicator and the battery gauge continues to show charging progress even after it's been on the dock for 3-4 hours. So how do I know when it's completely charged?

Also, does anyone have any experience with battery life on the 730? I only seem to get about an hour out of a fully charged battery but yet TT boasts I should get 5.

Thanks for any help on this.

Regards,
Mike

I don't think anybody has ever gotten 5 hours. Same as I don't think anybody ever gets the EPA rated mileage on a car.

Things like Bluetooth being on, screen brightness at 100% tend to wear down a battery faster. There is a preference for battery saving where selecting the options there may help.

One hour does seem somewhat low. Others, hopefully, will chime in with their experiences. From posts I've read here on the topic, I'd hazard a guess that the average battery duration should be more like 2 - 2.5 hours in real life experience.

Some report that doing a pin reset on the unit sometimes seems to help with battery life.

same here. 2 hours max. I think the battery is only for temporary power for such events like setting a route while at the restaurants and tomtom away from the car, or checking for POI's. Or for use as calculator (I installed a calculator program).

On most times when in use, the gps is expected to be powered by the vehicle. Or by the USB when connected to computer at home.

And if anyone has gotten the "Battery Savings "preferences to work - I would like to know. TomTom support was of no help with it (had no answer on if it was to work and how...).

The 910's got around 4 hours - I think they put a lesser battery in the newer units. Anyone know of the amp-hour ratings of the x10 units versus the x20-x30 units ?

Thanks for the responses but I'm unsure about what to next.

I've only had this GPS for 7 days now and from what I've read calling TomTom support is fruitless. If I'm only getting about 70 minutes out of the battery should I return it?

I am using bluetooth and have the volume set 80 and the brightness to 70. Are these settings out of the normal range to get 2-3 hours out of the battery?

Thanks again everyone.

-Mike

You can exchange for a new one but no guarantee the results will be different.

By the way, when you first took the unit out of the box, you did let it charge for 2-4 hours (preferably 4) before doing anything, right?

Yes. I let it charge for 4 hours as indicated in the docs.
I'll try dialing down some of the settings and see if that improves the battery life. Like brightness to 50 and volume to 50.

Also, do you know if the GPS charges while it's plugged into the cig lighter? or does it only charge in the dock?

And while charging in the dock is there anyway to know when it's fully charged?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes. I let it charge for 4 hours as indicated in the docs.
I'll try dialing down some of the settings and see if that improves the battery life. Like brightness to 50 and volume to 50.

Also, do you know if the GPS charges while it's plugged into the cig lighter? or does it only charge in the dock?

And while charging in the dock is there anyway to know when it's fully charged?

Thanks,
Mike

Yep......charges in the car as well, just not as quickly as in the dock.

Not obvious by looking at the docked unit when the unit is fully charges. The light stays green but you can't overcharge it in the dock.

If you tap the satellite bars when the unit is docked or in our hand you'll see a screen with the version number of the firmware. At the top of that screen, you'll see the condition of the battery.

Do NOT judge by what you see if running the emulator (Operate My Go) using Home. What ou see there is just a simulation.

I use my 730 in 2 different trucks and on a motorcycle. The best time I have gotten on battery is just about 1 1/2 hours. Sunday I went on a ride with 18 other bikes and was talking to a man who had a 720 mounted on his and he swears that he routinely gets 5 hours on his. Is this one of those "all fishermen are liars except you and me" type of things? :rolleyes:

I use my 730 in 2 different trucks and on a motorcycle. The best time I have gotten on battery is just about 1 1/2 hours. Sunday I went on a ride with 18 other bikes and was talking to a man who had a 720 mounted on his and he swears that he routinely gets 5 hours on his. Is this one of those "all fishermen are liars except you and me" type of things? :rolleyes:

I think the answer to your question is yes.

TomTom put a much lower rated battery in all the newer units. The battery in the 300,700, 510, 910, etc. had a 2300 mah rated battery - now they have 1200 mah batteries in them.

The old ones were advertised at 4 hours, and I got close to that on my bike. The newer ones - with battery saving preferences set - get no more then 2. They fully knew that when they advertised 5 hours.

Ask a Question