720 versus One

Why I Chose the 720

For me, it really came down to the following features over the One, and Garmin Nuvi's in the same price range:

• Bluetooth Data and Traffic/Weather
  • Bluetooth Voice (Albeit with some issues, see other postings)
  • A Better Well Maintained Map Database, that does not cost an arm and a leg.

For $499, it really can't be beat by any of the Garmin's. What you will get, though, is what appears to be some feature packing, that while valuable, may not be what you need. Hope that helps in your decisioning...

The ONE vs the GO 720

I've just upgraded from a ONE to a GO 720...

While I like the ONE and it has a new home with my parents who expressed an interest in getting a simple GPS nav unit, I decided to upgrade to the 720 - there were two features that really grabbed me and convinced me to update.

1) While the ONE can use Plus through *some* Bluetooth phones to get traffic info, I'd much rather use the RDS-TMC receiver. I didn't want to change my cell provider or go with Plus for this (more expensive in the long run). I should note in fairness that apparently the One XL can also use the new traffic receiver, but the ONE itself cannot.

2) I wanted to be able to use the 720 as a hands-free kit with my cellphone. It took some doing, as my cell phone is a sprint phone that is not specified as compatable, but I was able to make this work fine (I've posted another thread regarding using the Samsung SPH-M300 sprint phone if anyone needs that).

Also, I'm intrigued by the mapshare system the 720 has access to, though it wasn't really a strong reason for me to get it. So far, though, the 720 has impressed me.

The ONE is still a good solid nav unit, but there's a lot of nice addons to the 720 - unless you're really on a tight budget, spring for the 720.

Ask a Question