720 Replacement Battery?

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
Had to return my 720 ... was rebooting every time I would try to route, and then finally just decided it had never heard of a GPS satellite.

Received a replacement (older) 720 from TT on RMA, but the prior user evidently didn't treat this one as well as I did mine. For one thing, the battery life is about 45 minutes.

It was too much heartburn to get the first one replaced. I'd prefer to replace the battery myself with a known good unit -- and given the way these devices are designed, they require a functional battery, even when on external power, so a spare might be a good idea for down the road a bit (literally and figuratively).

Does anyone know of a source for the Sony VF8 battery this thing uses, or a decent alternative?

BUMP... HELP!

Had to return my 720 ... was rebooting every time I would try to route, and then finally just decided it had never heard of a GPS satellite.

Received a replacement (older) 720 from TT on RMA, but the prior user evidently didn't treat this one as well as I did mine. For one thing, the battery life is about 45 minutes.

It was too much heartburn to get the first one replaced. I'd prefer to replace the battery myself with a known good unit -- and given the way these devices are designed, they require a functional battery, even when on external power, so a spare might be a good idea for down the road a bit (literally and figuratively).

Does anyone know of a source for the Sony VF8 battery this thing uses, or a decent alternative?

Ive looked around as well and havent found anything so if you find something, let me know

i have never gotten more than about an hour from my 720 - it is the only thing that annoys me about the unit.

There is a battery saving preference icon. Have you tried that? Also, if you have Bluetooth enabled all the time, that'll help drain the battery. A final thought....what do you use to charge your unit, the dock to pc connection or the car charger? If using the dock, perhaps your usb hub is underpowered and not enough juice is getting to the unit to really fully charge it.

OK... whee is it??

Any idea what type of battery the 720 is or is it the same as 710??
Also anyone ever "take apart" the 720 and replace the battery. If so please write up detailed instructions OK
Also we know it "voids"warranty but what good is that if they send you back a "used" unit

canderson
copy and paste this in your browser. It's a place to start.

http://www.longlast-battery.com/productCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=259

Richard
Thanks for pointing them out, but found them early on, and have emailed them twice asking what, if anything, they had for the 720. No replies. They've been carrying the older ones for a while. Perhaps eventually the newer models will show up on their pages.

The goofy thing is that, when I didn't NEED one of these -- just looking as a "what if" while owning my previous 720 -- I'd swear I saw one somewhere.

I'd always had better than an hour on my prior unit, and BT was always enabled. I do some carpooling, and "Suzie" goes with us in "portable mode" when I'm not driving. The BT is used for ongoing traffic information. I barely get to work now and the battery is tired. Before, I could do the full round trip on one charge.

Any idea what type of battery the 720 is or is it the same as 710??
Also anyone ever "take apart" the 720 and replace the battery. If so please write up detailed instructions OK
Also we know it "voids"warranty but what good is that if they send you back a "used" unit
I'll email you a copy of photos of the innards. The battery type is as specified in my original post, and is NOT anything like that used in the 710 or other earlier models. Will assume your riata2 address is good and ship that to you tonight. The 720 is actually very easy to disassemble -- just a few screws and things start to come apart quickly.

The 720 is actually very easy to disassemble -- just a few screws and things start to come apart quickly.
This is the only post I have seen web-wide covering this subject matter. I woul dlove to open a 720 for battery removal also. Do you have a how-to or some basic instructions beyond 2 screws on rear.

Colleague is reluctant to force apart and as such, am unsure whether front bezel clips on/off to allow slide thru of main component from underside of case.

any help gratefully received

yDG.

What is silent voice?

Could be one of two things.
1. Preferences-->Mute voice and no sounds will be emitted from the unit
2. An actual voice called 'silent voice' which you can install like any other voice. Using this one, no directions are heard but warnings will still be. The link to get it if you want is here:
http://www.gpsice.co.uk/silentvoice.html

canderson

WOW! thanks canderson for the pdf. have forwarded to colleague in the hope it inspres confidence to add just a little more pressure to permit the release of the innards from the casing. adding rep as well deserved. many thanks.

hoping to get into the case

Hi,

any chance someone could share with me how they get into the 720 case? I have removed the screws but what next? Its not obvious where to push / pull?

I am trying to fix a unit for a friend. They have got a red cross when the unit attempts to read from the internal memory, following the unit being dropped. The SD reader seems to work, but they have no backup to restore to an SD partition. I am hoping to find something loose or fixable inside, or to replace the data onto an SD card.
All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,
Sam

Canderson-

PM'd about those pix. Getting in was cool- want to make sure I put it back together properly. :p

Thanks!

Canderson-

PM'd about those pix. Getting in was cool- want to make sure I put it back together properly. :p

Thanks!
Pics on the way. Hope your venture into the bowels of your 720 was only prompted by battery issues!

I think it is poor business practice for the Tom Tom to not allow easy replacement of the batter of the unit. To have to return the unit for poor battery performance is really unacceptable especially since you may get an older unit back. If they would guarantee the return of your unit it would still be a problem but not as much. As many others I take very good care of my electronics and unfortunaly have found there many that don't. I would not want to get something back that had been abused.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ask a Question