720 loops on startup - FAQ fix fails to fix!

My Go720 is about 18months old and has given excellent service.... until a few weeks ago!

Now when you start it up is goes as far as the background screen and either freezes, or resets and reboots itself back to the background screen in a loop.

Found the FAQ on the TomTom site for this problem
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

And followed it which basically deletes and reinstalls the application on the unit.

When I do this, the 720 boots up and goes through the initialization/setup screen (set language etc) but I can only get as far as setting the home address when the until freezes again.. When I reset...its back to the looping problem,

Have tried this FAQ process several times and it happens each time.

Any suggestions before I throw it in the bin :-(

John

My Go720 is about 18months old and has given excellent service.... until a few weeks ago!

Now when you start it up is goes as far as the background screen and either freezes, or resets and reboots itself back to the background screen in a loop.

Found the FAQ on the TomTom site for this problem
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

And followed it which basically deletes and reinstalls the application on the unit.

When I do this, the 720 boots up and goes through the initialization/setup screen (set language etc) but I can only get as far as setting the home address when the until freezes again.. When I reset...its back to the looping problem,

Have tried this FAQ process several times and it happens each time.

Any suggestions before I throw it in the bin :-(

John
John
This was happening to me this evening. How I solved it was by reformatting the GO with FAT32 format and then I just copied all my backup files into that drive. The GO 720 will show up as separate drive in "my Computer". I then right clicked to format. BUT I had a copy of all my files backup before hand. Now I suppose you could format the Go and reapply the NavCore application through Home but I have not tried that. And unless you have your maps backed up you would loose that.
Cheers and hope that helps
CeeJay

Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the device and locate your map folder named something like "Western Europe" or "North America" open this and locate the file "MapSettings.cfg" and delete this file, the device will create a new one when it boots up, you will lose some settings such as Home location and any POI warnings but the re-booting issue is often down to an issue with this file - Mike

Ask a Question