720 Issues/Questions - Any Ideas?

Hello Group :) I recently switched to a TomTom 720 after being with various Garmin units over the years (c320, c550 and Nuvi 660). I always knew TomTom had better features (itinerary, road avoidance, etc.) and Garmin had better maps, but TomTom is catching up...

Anyways, I noticed some issues with the 720 and was hoping forum members may have some ideas:

1) The music/instruction volume is low - either from the line out or the FM transmitter - my Garmins were almost double the volume

2) It's nice to see the auto turn off feature on external power loss, but is there a way to have the unit auto turn on when power is restored? (once again, garmins have this)

3) Is there any way to disable the voice prompts and still play music? It seems beyond me why this is not possible. I have done this by using a non-usable voice, but it gets reset on reboot.

4) Anyway to have the Bluetooth calls come through the line out or FM? Another strange "feature" if you ask me...

5) Does anyone else have "buzzing" in the line out when the external DC power is connected?

Thanks!!

1) The speaker on the 720 isn't as powerful as the 910 but still good. The volume for the music is sperate from the unit.

2) There isn't an option for the 720 like there is for the 910. Maybe a future firmwire fix.

3)You can download the slient voice

4)I haven't tried this on the 720 but it works on the x10 series.
http://tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=21059&postcount=2

5)Yes, try using a ground loop isolator.

Good luck

Thanks Pedro2NR, here is an update:

Resolved:

1) Low Volume - FIXED with 7.020 Firmware Update
5) Buzzing on Line Out when DC Plugged in - FIXED with Ground Loop Isolator (VERY poor design on TomTom's part though...)

Unresolved:

2) Auto turn on when power is restored - annoying
3) Disable voice prompts and still play music - The silent voice still pauses the music where it would normally speak an instruction
4) Bluetooth calls come through the line out or FM - the created file did not help

Newly Added:

6) How to disable the next turn instruction "beeps" during a phone call?

Thanks Pedro2NR, here is an update:

5) Buzzing on Line Out when DC Plugged in - FIXED with Ground Loop Isolator (VERY poor design on TomTom's part though...)

Could you explain this for those of us that don't understand what you did?

3) Is there any way to disable the voice prompts and still play music? It seems beyond me why this is not possible. I have done this by using a non-usable voice, but it gets reset on reboot.

If you go into the settings menu and turn off sound does that also affect the transmitter/line out? IMO, it shouldn't, if it does. If you want those turned off, you simply turn off your stereo.

They should fix that if it's not the case.

Another point resolved - disabling the voice. I feel a bit dumb for not realizing, but by just going into the menu and selecting "Turn Off Sound" will prevent the voices from saying anything and you are still able to play music/make calls. I guess it is poor labelling on TomTom's part as well, since you would assume "Turn off Sound" would turn off all sounds...

Also, what is the effect of the "Disable Voice" in the voice menu then?? It seems to have no effect...

theJack, the problem described is a buzzing noise that can be heard through the line-out of the 720 (i.e. when hooked up to headphones or a car stereo). This buzzing only occurs when the 12VDC cigarette plug is also plugged into the unit for charging. This phenomenon is known as a ground loop. Proper electrical design should alleviate the problem, but it seems Tomtom did not do all their homework...also, since it is a hardware issue, it is unlikely that a firmware update would solve it as it does for some other issues.

To solve the problem, you purchase a unit (about $20) called a ground loop isolator that decouples the audio and thus solves the buzzing.

Resolved:
1) Low Volume - FIXED
3) Disable voice prompts and still play music - FIXED
5) Buzzing on Line Out when DC Plugged in - FIXED

Unresolved:
2) Auto turn on when power is restored
4) Set Bluetooth calls to come through the line out or FM

New Unresolved:
6) How to disable the next turn instruction "beeps" during a phone call
7) Car Preferences Menu Option greyed out

Adding to the list:

8) Where is the option/how to enable voice recognition for choosing a destination?

They removed it from US products.

Back to the Ground Loop Isolator thing... are you then having to use an adapter to go from the stereo mini, to the RCA, then back to stereo mini?

Hi thaJack,

My exact setup is:

TomTom 720 --> Stereo Mini to RCA Males --> Ground Loop Isolator --> Honda Aux In Adapter --> Honda OEM Stereo

6) Have you tried turning off the sound similar to problem #3?
7) I will have to ask about this one. I was pondering this myself.
8) Maybe released with a future firmwire update.

Ground Loop Filter

Hi thaJack,

My exact setup is:

TomTom 720 --> Stereo Mini to RCA Males --> Ground Loop Isolator --> Honda Aux In Adapter --> Honda OEM Stereo

I did some research on this when I first experienced the buzzing on the AUX output.....

There are "Ground Loop Filter with Stereo Mini" available in the market.

So, for those who are looking for a Ground Loop Filter ....
Try a search on ebay and you should be able to find the one which will fits your particular needs in terms of connectors.

In my case, if I order a Filter with the proper connectors, then I don't have to order adapters to make it work.

Originally Posted by afeudale
Adding to the list:

8) Where is the option/how to enable voice recognition for choosing a destination?

I think I saw this on this forum somewhere before and although not functional, you can see the icons for this function by creating a directory ASR on the root of the internal memory of 720. Now create a file called support_asr.dat in that directory. Edit the file and put the value "1" without quotes in it. ;)

Car Preferences.
It seems from the handbook that this option requires the 720 to be integrated into the car system. The option seems to do two things, switches to night view when headlights are turned on and some form of mute.
Dave

Help Me Please

My tomtom 720 won't get past the start up screen, and then when it does all I get is a picture of a tomtom, with a little disc in the bottom right hand corner. Sometimes this also includes a big red X flashing in the middle of the screen. Any ideas peeps, as I've no idea what to do here.

Hello Stewart and welcome.

Does the unit turn off? Try using a pin and hitting the reset button located on the bottom of the unit.

Did you make a backup? If so try connecting the unit to your computer and restoring the backup file.

Perhaps the pin reset may help you out. keep us updated.

Ask a Question