720 Hands free squealing noise 720 Rant #1

I have tried two brand new 720 ..and they both have the buzzing issue.
both with the old batch number (8M00.780)

just got a respond from TT ......

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding your GO 720 with the bad sound quality. My goal is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience, and I hope to achieve it.

We have determined that this issue is caused by an error in the application. We are working on correcting this issue and an application update with a fix will be released in the future. Since it is a software issue, getting a GO 720 from a different batch will not guarantee that the unit will not have this problem.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Has anyone seen a software update as of yet? Again to me it seems Tom Tom Support has not been able to work out the bugs of this unit. It still appears it was relased too quickly without adequate testing.

There has only been one update that hasn't help this issue. The update was for the display of POI listings.

I have tried two brand new 720 ..and they both have the buzzing issue.
both with the old batch number (8M00.780)

just got a respond from TT ......

We have determined that this issue is caused by an error in the application. We are working on correcting this issue

Still doesn't do what it sasy on the tin does it? And its clear they don't know what was causing it or they would have released the update by now me thinks!!!!.

I would ditch it, get a refund and let TomTom have the problem. Then you can either buy another brand that doesn't have this problem or wait until TT have sorted it and then buy another one. One think I hate is these major manufacturers treating the consumer as a mass testing ground. Its basic abuse of goodwill.

Still doesn't do what it sasy on the tin does it? And its clear they don't know what was causing it or they would have released the update by now me thinks!!!!.

I would ditch it, get a refund and let TomTom have the problem. Then you can either buy another brand that doesn't have this problem or wait until TT have sorted it and then buy another one. One think I hate is these major manufacturers treating the consumer as a mass testing ground. Its basic abuse of goodwill.

Just got another respond from TomTom Support (aftering complaining that their theory didn't explain why some unit works and some don't (even they are on the same SW version). Sounds like the differences is between (preinstalled 7.01 verus upgrade from TomTom Home) .... but I think some people are saying that their unit are working fine after upgrading to 7.01 using TomTom Home?! I guess TomTom still don't know what is the root cause of the problem. :D

Here is the respond from TomTom .....

It seems that units that have application 7.01 preinstalled are fine, but units that are upgraded from 7.00 to 7.01 have the problem. I'm really not sure, the higher ups barely give us enough information to do our job. That being said, we of course have no idea when software updates are released, we usually don't find out until the day after.

I said before what I was told to say, but this is what I actually think. When they did the test to declare that this was a software issue, they took a GO 720 with v7.00 that worked fine with hands-free. Then they updated to 7.01 and had the problem, then downgraded to 7.00 and the problem persisted. Because of this they believe that application 7.01 causes the problem. However, many customers claim that units with the part number 8M00.780.7.010 have no problem. These are units that have 7.01 preinstalled, they never had 7.00 installed on them. So, it must be updating from 7.00 to 7.01 that causes the problem.

If you can find a 8M00.780.7.010 unit, get it. If you get a normal unit, do not upgrade it to 7.01. All that the update does is add brand icons for some POIs.

Sorry for the ramble about my theory, but feel free to post it on one of those forums, I never have time to visit them.

With Best Regards,

That is precisely why I returned my unit. When Tom Tom gets their customer support and firmware issues resolved, the 720 I believe will be an excellent device. At this point it is just plain frustrating.

Response I get from TomTom:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In regards to your query, it possibly is defective. We are in the process of working on an update for this. The should be released in the very near future. However I would recommend you return it to the seller and have it exchanged for a new one.

With best regards,

Response I get from TomTom:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In regards to your query, it possibly is defective. We are in the process of working on an update for this. The should be released in the very near future. However I would recommend you return it to the seller and have it exchanged for a new one.

With best regards,

Here's what I don't understand. If this is a software only issue, why are they recommending that you return for new hardware???

Get your act together TT!

OK couple of thoughts. The ipod audio in uses the tmc input , does this mean an external mic could be used through this interface

2nd If voice recognition of address (I am a UK 520 user with same b/t issue with compatible handset) is ok then it isn't the mic that is at fault.

chhers
Chris

It seems that units that have application 7.01 preinstalled are fine, but units that are upgraded from 7.00 to 7.01 have the problem. I'm really not sure, the higher ups barely give us enough information to do our job. That being said, we of course have no idea when software updates are released, we usually don't find out until the day after.

I am on my second TomTom GO 720 (UK), a 7.01 unit and it has the problem. It isn't as bad as the first unit (not sure which version), but it still is isn't adequate. I tested both in a quiet area to rule out any road noise etc..

The first unit was abysmal (0 out of 10) I tried a Nokia E61 (supported), Nokia N73 (supported) and a Sony Ericsson K800i. The E61, could dial out but there was no audio at either end. The N73 and the K800i were fine my end but the outgoing audio was drowned out by the continuous buzzing (my voice was very low volume in comparison, virtually inaudable).

The second unit was better (4 out of 10), I have only tried the E61 and the N73 on this device and both gave the same result incoming audio is fine, outgoing audio buzzing when I talk. If I speak loudly then the other party can make out about half of what I say.

No problems with voice recognition (address entry) on either device.

I will try a third unit however my main phone (K800i) isn't on the supported list, so I am very tempted to go for a Garmin Nuvi 660.

It is a bit annoying that they are still having these problems, however, I have a feeling that my local PC World don't ship many units. Also the first device wasn't sealed which gives me the impression that it was returned by a previous customer and was put for resale, rather than return to TomTom. I have had this problem with Dixons group stores before (PC World, The Link, Currys, Dixons).

Hi,

updated firmware to 7.02 and everything is OK now!!! TomTom was right! Hardware is ok, problem in software and now it is corrected! No more problems with Go 720!

:( Didn't fix mine. Still have buzzing noise just like before. After the upgrade, when you connect to home and operate the device using the PC for the first time, it will download a new app for the PC also. The version of the app on the computer is still 7.010 although my 720 is showing 7.020 :confused:

I read where people were having problems with this upgrade, I didn't run into any issues. Backed up my 720 and the old firmware, downloaded and installed new firmware, ejected the device and restarted. Checked the version number on the device to make sure it had been upgraded to 7.020 and reconnected to my PC. Pretty simple, just don't know what the firmware does:rolleyes:

Mine came with 8M00.780.7.01 on the box and it is still buzzing :( Might take it back and get something else...

Dunno bout all you i open mine and connected mine threw bluetooth and had nothing but great success...

After some back and forth with tomtom customer services, they have finally told me to exchange mine, no mention of a common fault. I have a 520 but its technically the same kit as far as I understand.....
my serial is 8M00.560.7.01 if a 520 serial is any use....

I plugged in the unit and upgraded when I bought it, so it might have worked before I even tried it! doh.

we'll see how my exchange goes...

After some back and forth with tomtom customer services, they have finally told me to exchange mine, no mention of a common fault. I have a 520 but its technically the same kit as far as I understand.....
my serial is 8M00.560.7.01 if a 520 serial is any use....

I plugged in the unit and upgraded when I bought it, so it might have worked before I even tried it! doh.

we'll see how my exchange goes...

Got it swapped no problem. New one is fine. When I plug it into the PC, it doesnt say there are any updates available like the old one did. Maybe they have taken the dodgy update down.....

720 continues to broadcast squeal and buzz

I recently bought the 720 and had the famous buzzing noise when I called Tech Support. Tech Support told me to charge it in doors for atleast 4 hours and then try it again. I did this and still had the same problem.

Called back and they told me it needed to be reset to factory settings, did this and still buzzed.

A third call identified that Verizon is not supported so I tried my friends AT&T and still had the buzz noise.

Does anyone know how or when TomTom will man-up and admit that there is an issue with the 720 and its hands free broadcasting? Has anyone had this problem and has anyone found a fix?

I am getting a little frustrated, not at the personelle, but the smoking mirrors.

Help

Ask a Question