720 Hands free squealing noise 720 Rant #1

So people w/ this part #... Is there still a microphone problem? Do people u are talking to complain of the quality..?

If not, is the "normal" quality good? Thanks

I have one of the first ones and I'm wondering if I should go exchange or if an update will fix this cuz going back and forth to best buy is really annoying

So people w/ this part #... Is there still a microphone problem? Do people u are talking to complain of the quality..?

If not, is the "normal" quality good? Thanks

I have one of the first ones and I'm wondering if I should go exchange or if an update will fix this cuz going back and forth to best buy is really annoying

I would say that if you are within your 30 day return window and you do NOT have the one that has a part number that ends in .7.1 then you might want to consider exchanging the unit. So far, two of us in this forum are experiencing better performance using the unit that I described in my most recent post.

TomTom technical support has not acknowledged that there is a problem, but I think given the anecdotal evidence on the web, that many of us would say there is a hardware problem.

Once again, I reiterate, if you are having problems with your unit, please tell us first seven of your serial number and your software revision so we can see if there is a problem with the unit.

Last edited:
Ok, here is my update. I returned my unit to Best Buy today, and made two calls with my new unit and both calls seemed to go well.

The information from the bottom of the box is as follows:

SN: M64337Bxxxxxx(x is additional irrelevant numbers I believe)
8M00.780.7.01 (My other box did not have the .7.01 on it.)

The interesting aside is that the 7.01 appears to be unique and a later version of the 720, which may likely be the success factor in why it works now.

The version of the software is the 7.010 version that a few people have mentioned. In addition, mine was shipped with a "Guam" map, which was different from the version I got before.

My conclusion is as follows:

If you can, try and get a unit that has the 7.01 as part of the number below the serial number given my success with the unit. Meanwhile, anyone who has a non-functioning or a functioning one, please report the information I have, so we can see if there is a correlation to my experience.

You may have something, I have a 8M00.780.7.01 unit and it's worked fine out of the box. I notice the actual sticker with the 8M00... on it is a separate sticker that was put over another sticker, it looks like what it's covering says 1M00.780.7.01

You may have something, I have a 8M00.780.7.01 unit and it's worked fine out of the box. I notice the actual sticker with the 8M00... on it is a separate sticker that was put over another sticker, it looks like what it's covering says 1M00.780.7.01
All of the 4 units from Bestbuy i tried , the same problem exist, start with S/N M65297B.....
8M00.780
Version 7.000 on the units are not shown on the boxes.
Seems this batch is all faulty.

All of the 4 units from Bestbuy i tried , the same problem exist, start with S/N M65297B.....
8M00.780

Its a fault with the unit, I have an email from tom tom support in europe that admits it. They even said they can not say when a fix would be available. My advice to anybody who has this problem is to either get a refund or a swap. The unit does not do what the manufacturer claims in respect of handsfree calling.

Its a fault with the unit, I have an email from tom tom support in europe that admits it. They even said they can not say when a fix would be available. My advice to anybody who has this problem is to either get a refund or a swap. The unit does not do what the manufacturer claims in respect of handsfree calling.

Do you mind posting the email for us?

8M00.780

So with it missing the .7.01 at the end of the 8M00.780 version these seem to be the defective ones. I will pass that along to TomTom support.

Please continue posting the version and first seven of the serial number.

RMAs

It looks like TomTom is now issuing RMAs for the defective units. I received an email from them today indicating such. If you can still return your units (e.g. Within a 30 day window) then I would, and look for a unit with the 8M00.780.7.01 number next to the serial number as they seem to not have problems, otherwise contact TomTom.

I have asked TomTom for more information as to the defective units, and if they provide it, I will post it here!

Yay! Problem solved!

Just got one of those w/ the new serial/part #... I will test out tomorrow cuz its kinda late, but it came w/ software version 7.0, not 7.010 (that's what it says on the device when I view through HOME)

When I click on update, it says its already up to date. But on the other crappy GO 720, it updated to 7.010...

HOME is garbage... Any ideas?

Likely it won't work...

Just got one of those w/ the new serial/part #... I will test out tomorrow cuz its kinda late, but it came w/ software version 7.0, not 7.010 (that's what it says on the device when I view through HOME)

When I click on update, it says its already up to date. But on the other crappy GO 720, it updated to 7.010...

HOME is garbage... Any ideas?

It is likely it will not work if it is one that is the 8M00.780 but not 8M00.780.7.01 version which a couple of us have had success with. If it doesn't work, pack it up, take it back to the store and look for the one that has the 8M00.780.7.01 next to the serial number. When you get it home, start it up and as you walk through the setup, if it asks you to choose between a US map and a Guam one, you likely have a good unit.

If you have the 8M00.780.7.01 on the box, I think you should be ok...

As for Home, I didn't get prompted to update the software, so I wonder if we have yet another revision?

I'm on my second 720 that was purchased from Bestbuy. Returned the first one to a different Bestbuy from the first one. Works perfectly!

s/n m62297b....
8m00.780
app. 7.010

interesting?

The second one didn't have .7.01 on the box and it worked perfectly out of the box. It was updated to .7010, sometime after it was connected to TT Home.

The difference between the two of them was the serial number, it was about 3000 off. The first one was something like, M65...B

Thank you and a message from TomTom

Just wanted to thank anyone who has posted their information. I have forwarded it to TomTom, and I got this message back today:

"Thank you for the information. We are still determining which batches of the GO 720s have this issue, but the number you provided helps. I have forwarded it to the appropriate department.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

Please keep the updates coming.

Hi Guys, Following my last post this is the response I got from TT support in Amsterdam

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Some 720 users are currently experiencing BT connectivity challenges.
This is currently under investigation and will be resolved in a future software update ,
We regret at this moment in time we can not offer you an immediate solution .

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I basically took that as an admission there was a problem and that they knew not how to solve it. when I took the unit back to the retailer they called up TT support who claimed to know of no such fault. The retailer then read out the email and the TT agent said without further delay to offer the customer a refund or exchange. As it was the 2nd unit to exhibit the same problem with a host of different phones I went for the refund.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
720 hands free problem

i just returned my 720 to BB and replaced it with SN: M64337Bxxxxxx/8M00.780.7.01 and it now works flawlessly with my ATT blackberry 8800. no swooshing noises with the other cell phone user. i was able on the previous unit to down load free weather updates using this phone as well. im on the phone with tomtom support trying to change my device code....otherwise its one of the better units I have used and is pretty accurate...

The latest from TT support, Ottawa Canada

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. We are very sorry to hear of the difficulty you are having with your new Go 720. The issue that you are experiencing is not a defective unit. We are aware of the hands-free issue and are working for a solution. At this time we believe it to be a software issue and a fix will be available through HOME. We suggest you connect to HOME to check for regular updates. We believe replacing your unit will not correct this issue. We appreciate your patiece while we work to resolve this.
If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

The latest from TT support, Ottawa Canada

The issue that you are experiencing is not a defective unit. We are aware of the hands-free issue and are working for a solution.

In my opinion that is a fault software issue or otherwise.

Basically they are marketing something that they admit does not do what they claim. In the UK this is a breach of the Sale of Goods Act and this is why they have to either replace the unit or refund according to what the cutomer wants.

Hi,

I am from Europe (Lithuania). My TT Go 720:

SN - M65317Axxxxx

On the box - 8M00.711.7.01

SW - 7.010

Phone - Nokia N73

Hands-free call do not work - same issue with microphone I think... or software (but I do not think so...).

Ask a Question