720 from Ebay .

People buying from Ebay have sometimes run into problems with TomTom who does not recognize Ebay as a legitimate reseller. If you paid by PayPal, keep the electronic receipt as TT may recognize it as a legitimate invoice .........

People buying from Ebay have sometimes run into problems with TomTom who does not recognize Ebay as a legitimate reseller. If you paid by PayPal, keep the electronic receipt as TT may recognize it as a legitimate invoice .........

Thanks for replied dhn
I paid for it by paypal but I don't know what you mean electronic receipt ?

Explain please !!!

Do you have a hard copy that you paid by paypal? Some proof? that's what I mean.

Do you have a hard copy that you paid by paypal? Some proof? that's what I mean.

Yes, I have that .
I also need the tone free number to call TOMTOM tech support .
someone gave me the number but it's long distance.

Thanx

Last edited:
eBay

I also got mine from eBay. Call tech. support and explain your situation. They'll ask you to fax or send an image of receipt. Wasn't a difficult process. They should add the latest map to your account.

I suggest you first try to do it yourself (before calling) through TomTom Home. First, make a complete backup of the unit with Windoes explorer per other posts in this forum.

It probably came with a non 8.xx application( 7.xx), so first install TomTom Home 2,3 on your computer, and then connect your 720. It might want to update the application as soon as it is connected. I would say not to initially, as you would want to go to the "Copy to Computer" icon, and have it copy both your current application, and alos the current map (for safe keeping).

Then, log on to your account (I think you can set it up right here - email address and password - otherwise you might have to set it up first on the TomTom website). Then tell it to update your account, and it should offer to download the new 8.xx application - say yes. If not, you can find a download in a recent post under 8.01 application. You need an 8.xx application to download/use 8xx maps I believe.

If you are able to download and install the new 8.xx application, while you are logged on, tell it to download updates again. Note - if it offers 725 maps (which it probably would with the original application), don't accept it.

If it does not offer it, then go to "tools" on the upper toolbar, and select "use latest map Guarantee" and follow the instructions. Again, it it wants to download 725 and not the 810 Map, don't.

Now you will have to call support per the earlier posts. Good luck.

Thank you so much for all Inf guys

I've tried to search for how to make a complete backup with windows explorer in this forum but couldn't find it .
Could someone guide me step by step please ?

( I know only to use tt home to back up but complete backup with windows explorer I do not know )

Thanks again ,

Connect the unit to the computer but do not start Home. Open Windows Explorer. In Explorer, you should see the TomTom unit as an external drive. Click on the unit (drive) so that you see the contents. Do a Control-A to highlight all the contents. Now, a Ctl-C to copy all the contents. Now, move to a folder you've created on your hard drive. Name it something meaningful like TTBackup-9-21. Now do a Ctl-V to paste all the files into your backup folder. That's it.

Well, almost...........:cool:

You want to ensure that all hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types before you do your Ctl-A. How do you do that? By going into Start-->Settings-->Control Panel on your computer-->Folder Options-->In the Advanced Settings window, make sure the choices for Show hidden files and folders is selected (about the 7th item down) and right below it should be 'Hide Extension...". Make sure that selection is UNCHECHECKED.

That's the process. Copying the unit's contents takes only a couple of minutes and is much more reliable than Home's backup method.

Connect the unit to the computer but do not start Home. Open Windows Explorer. In Explorer, you should see the TomTom unit as an external drive. Click on the unit (drive) so that you see the contents. Do a Control-A to highlight all the contents. Now, a Ctl-C to copy all the contents. Now, move to a folder you've created on your hard drive. Name it something meaningful like TTBackup-9-21. Now do a Ctl-V to paste all the files into your backup folder. That's it.

You want to ensure that all hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types before you do your Ctl-A. How do you do that? By going into Start-->Settings-->Control Panel on your computer-->Folder Options-->In the Advanced Settings window, make sure the choices for Show hidden files and folders is selected (about the 7th item down) and right below it should be 'Hide Extension...". Make sure that selection is UNCHECHECKED.

That's the process. Copying the unit's contents takes only a couple of minutes and is much more reliable than Home's backup method.

Thanks dhn .

I've done with that .
I need to know how to install the new map (8.10 ) for Go 720 .
Do I need to use Home software to do that ?

Yes, only Home can be used to install any map. Once installed, make ANOTHER backup to a different folder, Winnie. Consider this your 'safety net' ;)

Thx dhn

I've done with that ,
Could you guide me how to install the new map for my 720 please ?
Do I need to use Home software or something else ?

I already replied. You download and install maps using Home's 'Update My Computer'.

I'm confusing and don't understand :
What's different between using Home software to back up and using windows explorer . please explain ?

Home has a function called 'Backup My Computer'. While it's faster to do it this way than with Explorer, there is evidence that it is not as reliable. So, many users use Explorer, just to be safe.

Home has a function called 'Backup My Computer'. While it's faster to do it this way than with Explorer, there is evidence that it is not as reliable. So, many users use Explorer, just to be safe.

Thanks again . dhn

You're the man .

So... if I purchase a TT720... I can load the Navcore 8 AND the newest version 8 maps? Will this give me the advanced lane guidance, IQ Routes and Reality View?

That's the theory. In practice, Reality View and the other features are not very wide spread vis-a-vis road information so far. You may see examples where you drive, you may not.

Ask a Question