720, any way to get the screen dimmer than the minimum setting?

I do a lot of highway driving in the middle of nowhere at night and I like to keep the lightning as low as possible in the car. Gauge lights are at minimum and I keep the 720 at minimum also.

In one of the last software upgrade, I had the impression the lowest brightness possible was higher that it used to. I know the screen can get dimmer since when I start the music player and it scan the SD card, the screen flicker to a lower brightness that the lowest allowable by the brightness control. The lower level when it flicker would be perfect for me but I see no way to get that level permanently.

I edited the color schemes to get the lowest intensity colors possible but I still find it too bright. The back-lighting of the screen is still too high and some of the status bar colors can't be changed, turning the GPS into a flashlight a bit too much, in my opinion. On moonless nights, driving on small roads, I even had to turn the GPS off because it was blinding me! I keep it mounted at the bottom-center of the windshield.

On top of it, and that one is a real annoyance, in night mode, as soon as you go out of the navigation screen, the intensity is simply blinding!

Beside putting a grey filter on the screen (that's something I consider!) anybody have some idea?

Thanks

Dhn, that's the default setting or at least, that's how mine was set. I see no difference whatever it's enabled or not. Might be only when it's running on batteries?

Maybe so.......

Try changing the night colour scheme to one that perhaps is darker. Also there are other ones available via Home.

As well, if you're inclined to experiment, you can download your own color scheme editor from here

Last edited:
I find Africka colour scheme at minimum brightness is just about acceptable in the car when driving in the dark, the other scheme I sometimes use is the dark Blue/ Black version but this is harder on the eyes than the dark green you get with Afrika but I agree the 0% needs to be dimmer than currently available - Mike

I took the darkest scheme I could find and edited it to be even darker. But since the backlight is still too high, the overall stays too bright.

What map version do you have? You can downgrade to much older software versions as long as your map isn't too new (old software can't read new maps).

The older software may get your dimming back.

Dim Screen Between Instructions - My Findings

Hello,

I am new to this site & so this is my first contribution.

I have both a TomTom ONE 130S and a TomTom ONE XL 335S. I find that the "Dim screen between instructions" functionality WORKS on the 130S but DOES NOT WORK on the 335S.

I have done a bit of research into the issue and I submitted a bug report to TomTom on January 6, 2010. (They told me they'd drop it in the lap of the product manager but made no commitment to fix it.)

My 130S is presently running application version 8.081 while the 335S is running application version 9.026.

My belief is that they moved some options around (from version 8.x to version 9.x) and BROKE the "Dim screen between instructions" function in the process.

Here's an illustration of the differences between the two app versions (i.e. how to access the function):

To configure the feature on a TomTom ONE XL 335S (app version 9.026):

1. Choose "Change preferences".
2. Choose "Battery saving preferences".
3. Toggle from "Never dim screen" option to "Dim screen between instructions" option & click "Done".
4. Check/uncheck the "Device stays on when external power is lost" check box (the choice does not matter) and click "Done".

To configure the feature on a TomTom ONE 130S (app version 8.081), there is a different menu path:

1. Choose "Change preferences".

2. Choose "Brightness preferences".
2a. Review &/or change the values for "Day colour brightness", "Night colour brightness", and "Switch to night view when dark".
2b. Then click "Done".

3. The "Battery saving preferences" screen (#1 of 2) will appear.
3a. Place a check in the box "Turn off screen between instructions".
3b. Then click "Done".

4. The "Battery saving preferences" screen (#2 of 2) will appear.
4a. Review &/or change the value for "Switch off when external power is lost"
4b. Then click "Done".

To test the feature:

1. Choose "Navigate to..."
2. Choose some destination that is several kilometres away and which has a fairly long straight segment (i.e. "keep going straight for 10 km"; there is no need for active navigation help).
3. Drive along the route and check whether the screen dims during the long straight segment.

I hope that people could test their units and report back, indicating which ones work (and what app version is installed). Maybe we can find more of a pattern...

I would suggest also that people submit their own bug reports about this feature not working to TomTom; maybe they could reprioritize their development efforts and get this one addressed (seems like it ought to be a simple fix).

FYI (to the original poster and the 1st responder) - The "Dim screen between instructions" DOES work on my 130S when I have the power cord attached and getting power from the car battery.

Last edited:
Wow, I have the exact same thoughts about mine. I recently had my 720 replaced under warranty for a screen flickering issue, and this lack-of-dimming is indeed an application/firmware problem...both my original and replacement units were "dark" when running on the original application, but the minimum brightness level was increased when i updated the application.

Unless you are willing to revert back to pre-IQ Routes applications, there's no way to "fix" this. I told TT Support my whole story about this...maybe they'll provide a proper fix someday :(

Ask a Question