720 and the Red X

I am just about ready to toss my new 720 out the third floor window.

When I got it, I went to download the latest map. Seems simple enough. However, the download failed to to a lack of space. Not sure if that means my MacBookPro or the Device, but my Mac does have more than the needed 2 gigs of space....

The Red X of Death appeared. I tried every solution I can think of and that I've found on the TomTom site as well as on various forums. You guys are my last, best hope!

One thing I noticed after I originally downloaded the update was that is left a zip file in the download folder, but it did not appear to have decompressed the file. Does it need to do that? I assume so... Anyway, I went ahead and used StuffIt to decompress and put all those folders in Documents/Download/Complete/Map. No go. The update using Home didn't see the file.

I tried the Clear Flash business. No help there. I turned off Spotlight. I prayed. I swore.

One direct question. Can I remove the current map off my device and reasonably expect to be able to replace it, without having to pay? I think the map itself is probably splattered and corrupted, but I'm nervous about just deleting it -- though that seems like a way that might force the unit to look for a new map....

Any help would be grandly appreciate...

Ron

This is assuming you DO have the new compressed file in cab format on your comnputer.

1. Make a complete Finder backup of your unit's contents.
2. Delete all loose files, NO folders or their contents from the root of the unit using Finder.
3. Connect to Home and Home should offer to download the latest application. Aceept it and let it install.
4. Go to your compressed cab map file and extract the Loquendo folder to your desktop.
4. Have Home install items on my computer: Add Maps.....

If it installs ok, make another complete backup using Finder.

Now, use Home to Add Voices, Computer Voices.

Does that work.

Hi -

Just to clarify.

After I do a backup of all existing files on the 720 and store them elsewhere, you are suggesting that I remove ALL files from the root of the device? Your #2 had me a bit muddled and I want to make sure I get this right. By "loose" files you mean ALL files that exist INSIDE folders/directories, but NOT the folders themselves?

Thanks.

Ron

not to speak for dhn, but he does not want you to remove any folders from the device root...just files that are not in a folder (this is what he means by loose).

Fixed!

Thanks SO much for this advise. Saved the day.

Once I removed the "loose" files and then TomTomHOME re-downloaded the app, all appears to be OK now.

I really owe you a beer :)

Thanks..

While I've got you here, however, one more query.

How do you (or can you) extend the reach of the POIs? For instance, I do a "POIs" near me and it only goes out about 1-2 miles. Can't it go past that?

Ron

If you click the 'find' button, and type in part of the name of the poi you are looking for, all the poi items in that category will show. Be aware the mileage shown beside each time is as the crow flies, not road length to drive.

So, type 'Depo' when clicking 'find' for shops and all the Home Depots in the file will appear.

Works when you select any of 'near me', 'on route', 'in city'

POIs...

But I am correct in assuming that I can't continually broaden my search?

For instance, if I'm looking for a restaurant, I wish I could just scrolling until I found one I liked, whether it was 2 miles away or five, but the TomTom seems get to about 1.5 miles and then give up. This makes no sense to me. I know the POIs are in there!

Not trying to belabor this...but I find it curious.

Thanks again.

Ron

The "search" screen has a bug where it quits searching after a few seconds of no new results. Incomplete results, and they differ if you do the exact same search from one minute to the next.

The "Find" upon choosing a category is more reliable.

Still, Tomtom will stop searching after 1-2 screens of results. So if you want to find something far from you, do a "search in city". (despite the name, it is implemented as "search near city center")

Ask a Question