720/730 920/930 Battery Replacement Tutorial - Discussion

It should be possible to bypass the battery but you will need a car charger that can provide 3,7V DC probably the safe way will be to make a power addaptor using a DC to DC converter with the output carefully adjusted to 3,7V - Mike

Excellent, I can use a step-down converter to handle that part.

How about the actual battery terminal -- do I need to do anything with the connector on the board? I suppose the three-wire lead going to the battery would be easy to jumper if necessary to complete the circuit. Or can I just leave the dead battery in there?

More Thanks

Canderson, please let me add my thanks for your excellent tutorial. The battery for the GO 720 from BatteryShip now costs US$21.95 (free shipping), but like others have said with about 10-15 minutes investment I now have a functioning unit again. Thanks for taking the time to document the process.

Appreciated. There have been a lot of folks here adding and improving the original. Sounds like between us we gave you enough ammunition to get it done quickly. I'm just thinking of replacing my first replacement battery. The replacement isn't toast yet, but I'm going to take it portable again in about a month, and I have had another spare around for a while, and lithium ion packs have a finite shelf life -- degrading about 10% per year, as I understand it. This next one should just about last for as long as my 720 will remain in service.

Excellent, I can use a step-down converter to handle that part.

How about the actual battery terminal -- do I need to do anything with the connector on the board? I suppose the three-wire lead going to the battery would be easy to jumper if necessary to complete the circuit. Or can I just leave the dead battery in there?
NO! Don't leave the original battery there connected to a constant DC supply. Go ahead and remove it.

I've ordered the replacement pack for GO920 and Batteryship sent over the CS-TM 730SL, which is for the GO730. Battery Buyer indicates different but Batteryship saying it's the same :(
I hope it will fit in the GO920 unit.

I've ordered the replacement pack for GO920 and Batteryship sent over the CS-TM 730SL, which is for the GO730. Battery Buyer indicates different but Batteryship saying it's the same :(
I hope it will fit in the GO920 unit.
I think that TT was using two sources for their batteries during the x20/x30 days, and as the suppliers were looking at the innards, believed they had to stick with what was there. In terms of ratings and connectors, I've yet to see any difference between 720/730/920/930.

Glad the swap worked out well for you. No problems with the flex connector, I take it?

Wow, I did follow your excellent instructions and everyhing went A1. Thanks a lot, you are my champion of the month.

I got too confident and went through it with a metal screw driver to remove the battery. I ended up
cracking the chip for the bluetooth. somwhere near to the side of the battery. now my 930 still works great but without the bluetooth. I now use a stand-alone handsfree device.

Something for others to watch out for. Those little tiny parts around the battery are
brittle.. take care.

Australian Battery Source

Newby to site here,

Downloaded the instructions on how to change the battery, now does anyone know where I can obtain a battery for a GO720 in Australia. Live in BrisVegas, Queensland, but assume it probably won't be local.

Ta,

Have a look on E-bay, most tend to come from HK or China these days, just watch the cost of postage - Mike

TomTom 930 Go

I've just used these instructions to replace the battery on my 930Go.
It's exactly the same as the photos in this article.
Superb Instructions, it went without a hitch.
Many thanks

You could still use the Line Out, FM Tx or Bluetooth audio outputs to get sound from the device if the speaker connection isn't repairable - Mike

Battery Glue was OK

Have just replaced my 720 Battery. Thanks to all contributors but it certainly wasn't as bad as some people have had. Some people may have had trouble getting the old battery unstuck. Mine came away quite easily. Battery was held in place by a type of double-sided rubbery tape. it lifted away OK and as the tape had plenty of stick left I re-used it. So hopefully this battery will last a bit longer than than original.

Good to hear.

Would you mind saying where you got the replacement battery? I ask because I know we've had some members from Oz who have had trouble finding a battery.

(I know but help your neighbour out, mate.........:) )

Help an Ozzie! Oh well we did thrash them in the Rubgy on Saturday.
I got the battery off eBay, a store called Battery.Check. The item was listed as -BATTERY FIT Tom GO 920,920T,AHL03713100,1300mAh - Cost USD15.99 plus $2 postage. Also got the tool kit for $2 this came in handy. They operate out of Hong Kong.

Only issue I have though is that now when TT is turned on the flash screen stays on for about 10 seconds then reboots itself. Never did this before. Perhaps it didn't like power being completly removed. Have tried soft and hard resets and also reloaded software from an OK backup but still reboots. Apart from that it's good.
Any ideas as to reboots. I've searched through forum but can't find anything relating to a battery change.
regards Denis

Well, I see from your sig line that the application installed is 8.302.

The current one is 8.351 (actually, it's the last one TomTom offered for the Go 7x (and 9x) series.

You may wish to connect to Home and update your application, it should be offered. That may help.

As an aside, the All Blacks beats the Aussies, eh? Will make a friend of ours in Auckland very happy..:)

Battery Replacement Kit

You can find a video that shows how to replace the TomTom Go 720's battery.

The company that produced the video also sells a kit which includes the battery and tools necessary for the install. See: Extended Life Battery for The TomTom Go 720 I swapped the battery of a friend's dying GPS using the aforementioned kit and all went well. His Go 720 is back up and running smoothly.

I think they also ship internationally (to Australia for example).

Hope this Helps,
Craig

Well Craig, I'll leave all the posts you've made related to the site and the video. Considering where you are posting from, is it fair to say you have, uh, intimate knowledge of the workings of the company? ;)

Ask a Question