715 North America Maps - ETA problem - first impressions

I was hoping to see some ETA calculation improvements, since this appears to me to be the biggest problem with TOMTOM.

The release notes say that they did update a bunch of roads with speed limits with aprox.150k miles.

So, I've tested few routes and NO IMPROVEMENTS as far as the ETA goes. (california, nevada routes).

So unfortunately it calculates the same old bad routes again, which means it does underrate highways (freeways are ok) big time. ETAs are 30-40% off so -useless.

Tomtom cust. service says its not the maps but the software - which calculates stops, gas stops along the way,...for you :) - to me this is ridiculous argument or feature, or more likely an excuse, i don't know.

No POI improvement in my area either - but that's OK... POIwise TOMTOM was always good - better than garmin.

The release notes say that they did update a bunch of roads with speed limits with aprox.150k miles.
These speed limits are used to warn you if you drive above the certain speed limit. I have the 7.15 map but haven't seen it.......yet. So far I've only seen this feature on the 6.50 North America map.
Tomtom cust. service says its not the maps but the software - which calculates stops, gas stops along the way,...for you :) - to me this is ridiculous argument or feature, or more likely an excuse, i don't know.
I will have to agree with TomTom. While a different map may offer a different route, the software is what calculates the ETAs and all that good stuff.

ridiculous is not that the software does the ETA, ridiculous is the way it calculates ETA.
I'd say 50% is in the SW and 50% in the maps.
Example: you have a 40mile route, speed limit on the road is 60mph, no traffic, country road. Tomtom says its going to take 1h30mins to get there. Useless. In this case its gotta be the map wrong.

ridiculous is not that the software does the ETA, ridiculous is the way it calculates ETA.
Example: you have a 40mile route, speed limit on the road is 60mph, no traffic, country road. Tomtom says its going to take 1h30mins to get there. Useless. In this case its gotta be the map wrong.
It says 90 minutes for a 40 mile trip? Seriously?

I was hoping to see some ETA calculation improvements, since this appears to me to be the biggest problem with TOMTOM.

So, I've tested few routes and NO IMPROVEMENTS as far as the ETA goes. (california, nevada routes).

So unfortunately it calculates the same old bad routes again, which means it does underrate highways (freeways are ok) big time. ETAs are 30-40% off so -useless.

No POI improvement in my area either - but that's OK... POIwise TOMTOM was always good - better than garmin.

Customer service is partially correct in that the software does the calculations for ETA, but the data used is from the MAP! TomTom's focus is defintley not with the ETA.

yes, somewhere on the road-160 from las Vegas, NV to Puhrump, NV.
useless ETA. and this applies to most of the highways in CA/NV.

Tomtom is a wonderfull piece. But I came from Garmin, and the ETA there is seriously right on.

This whole thing is interesting because on other side I think Teleatlas has better maps and POIs. At least Tomtom shows much more details on them. Garmin with its poor features is like a "mainframe" compared to a Tomtom which is like a "new hot OS". But a reliable accurate "mainframe"..

Did you run the route demo? Can be done at 450% of normal speed.

Post the route and I will simulate.

I've seen ETA issues with state highways here in Connecticut too. Interstates and other limited access routes seem fine. There are many occasions where the shortest route is in fact the fastest but TomTom consistently miscalculates them. I'm no lead foot either.

I'm not sure which model you have but my 920 has the ability to preplay the route in demo mode. I know that demo mode shows projected speeds enroute but I have not watched them closely on some of the bad ETA routes to see where it is going wrong. I'm wondering if the unit is overcalculating stop signs, traffic lights, etc.

i have the 920 too.
tomtom does nto know about traffic signs.
its ETA is just bad. and yes, when I say ETA I also mean that it affects its ability to pick the fastest route. which is a bit more helpfull than like adjusting volume based on cabin noise :))

Ask a Question