710 maps/mapshare worth it?

I've got a 910 running 7.160 and the 665 North American maps. Generally speaking the maps have been pretty good. I'm considering updating to the 710 maps so I can use mapshare and have newer maps but past experience dictates caution.

Are the 710 maps at least as good as 665? I've seen the 675 maps and they're as bad as my original 650 maps. Also, I keep hearing reports that the mapshare feature is more hype than anything else. Is anyone finding mapshare useful?

Of course I could call Tomtom and ask them but I have an appointment for some unnecessary dental surgery that I'd rather keep. :D

Thanks guys.

Lol-dental surgery!

You're right to be some what spectical, but I think it depends on your temperment.

I don't mind jumping in as one of the early adopters - I did it here and I really do it with my Tivo stuff. Sure you have some problems at first but I kind of like being part of the solution.

If you wait, I'm sure you'll be able to wait until more stable/better maps 7.?? or something comes out and of course at somepoint you'll have to upgrade, but maybe there will be a feature that you'll just have to have that will force you to make the move.

I think by virtue of reading/posting on this board you're an early adopter at heart :D

I've got a 910 running 7.160 and the 665 North American maps. Generally speaking the maps have been pretty good. I'm considering updating to the 710 maps so I can use mapshare and have newer maps but past experience dictates caution.

Are the 710 maps at least as good as 665? I've seen the 675 maps and they're as bad as my original 650 maps. Also, I keep hearing reports that the mapshare feature is more hype than anything else. Is anyone finding mapshare useful?

Of course I could call Tomtom and ask them but I have an appointment for some unnecessary dental surgery that I'd rather keep. :D

Thanks guys.

I would say the upgrade is worth it. So far I'm in love with the Map Share
capability on my GO 720.

Because I'm in Minneapolis, the first thing I did after taking my TomTom out of the box was run a demo destination to the other side of the Interstate bridge that collapsed in August.

The map with the unit navigated me across that bridge. After I updated with Map Share, my TomTom routed me around the bridge.

Just my two cents :)

It greatly depends on where you live. I live in a small town in NE Florida, and I serioiusly doubt that MapShare will truly benefit me. FYI, there has been a lot of construction in my neck of the woods of late, but none of it is on the the v7.1 maps. I was rather surprised, as I reported these major new roads to TeleAtlas (via TomTom's website) well over a year ago.

I think I like the Delorme implementation of "mapshare", where you can just draw in your own roads, changes, etc. I suspect that once more TomTom users get going with the MapShare thing, that it will be a very nice feature. Now....I don't know. With hindsight, it probably wasn't worth upgrading to the v7 maps.

A 910 owner on another forum posted that he got TomTom to give him the v7 maps for free, because he just bought the 910 and after updating the application to v7, he said that it's basically a downgrade without the new map. You may want to try the same thing

Thanks for the info guys. I don't mind blazing trails as long as it doesn't involve my hard earned cash. For now I'll wait for a few more folks to adopt mapshare before I jump in.

Ask a Question