710 looses power immediately

Everytime I hit a bump in the road and my 710 vibrate on the mount, it turns off immediately. Doesn't even go to battery. When you check the battery level when the unit is plugged in, it says it's fully charged and not charging. Same when I have it on the cradle at my PC. I go to take it off the cradle and the unit turns off immediately. From what I've found on here, it could be a missalignment of the pins, but let me guess, no way to easily fix it???

But, still I should be able to take it off the cradle and use it temporarily!

Please help. Would like to be able to use it this weekend for a road trip on some antique tractors!!!

Thanks
Tim

this is pretty much what happened to my 910 last summer after about 10 months of use, and again to the replacement this summer. I imagine when you do power it back on, it has lost the time and takes a while to find your current location. Longer to find then it did before this. All I can guess is that the internal battery is compleatly toast. Call tech support, get them to replace the unit.

The same thing happens to my 510. Either going over a bump or just shutting off he car will cause it to go through an entire reboot next time it's turned on, and the time resets to 12:00. It won't turn on without being on the computer or car charger.

I was thinking it might be the internal battery but on one hand the charging icon says that it's fully charged. But on he other hand the problem started after being left in the sun on the dash doing a recent 95 deg day - something that seems like it could fry the battery. :eek:

Is there any way to pop these things open and replace the rechargeable battery? I imagine mine is out of warranty.

Technically, I don't really know that the battery is dead. It may just be wired such that a diconnected wire from the battery will still allow the tt to function with external power. Why does it indicate a full charge when it still dies immediately from losing external power? No idea, but if this is a known problem to tt, they may have just put it into the software to show the battery at a full charge if it doesn't see it. Ot to show as full if it doesn't sense that it is being charged at all.

So, I leave mine in my car all the time, never bringing it in. And both of these failures have been during the summer. You may be on to somehting with the heat being an issue. But what a PITA to have to take it out and carry it around all day to keep it from getting overheated.

Ask a Question