700 not working, need help

TomTom Model(s)
Go 700
I bought my wife a Go 700 years ago brand new, and it stopped working all together about a year ago (won't boot up). So I've vowed to get it working again to use for myself.

It doesn't boot up. It's stuck at a screen with a flashing red circle wtih a white X in it.

I downloaded HOME v2.7 from the tomtom site. it can't connect to the device. It recognizes it's a 700 but doesn't link it to my account or allow me to get an update. All kinds of error messages.

I've scoured the internet to the very end and can't find ANY support that helps me, including the tomtom site. I'm very frustrated, ready to drive over this thing.

When I view the files on the Tomtom itself, I don't see a map file. I see:

itn (folder)
autorun.inf (1k)
connect2internet.db (101k)
connect2internet.so (256k)
CurrentMap.dat (1k)
data.chk (1090k)
tthome.bif (shows up sometimes but deletes itself when it can't copy from computer?)

HELP!

this is what i get in HOME when I try to link the device...

ERROR: 104/#https://home.tomtom.com/account/setDevice: Error from server: A system error occurred that wasn't your fault. Please try again later.
A system error occurred that wasn't your fault. Please try again later.
Error code: 104
URL: https://home.tomtom.com/account/setDevice
Additional information: info = [object]
info.func = [string] account/setDevice
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceCode = [string] KW4UWLTLAJ
info.args.deviceSerial = [string] M5
info.args.deviceModel = [string] go700
info.args.deviceNavcoreVersion = [string] 0.000
info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {}

info.method = [string] POST
info.useCache = [string] false
info.dryRun = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [object] empty

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:468
xmluploadbody: this.xmluploadbody
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:430
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:277
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:30:22 GMT

Well, the error does say there is a server error on TT's site. Not an unusual situation, sadly.

Do what the message says and indeed try again in a few hours .... or tomorrow ....

this one also comes up at thh same time.

ERROR: 104/#https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getAccountLicensedContent: Error from server: A system error occurred that wasn't your fault. Please try again later.
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getAccountLicensedContent
info.func = [string] shop/getAccountLicensedContent
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string]
info.args.deviceNavcoreBuild = [string]
info.args.publicBeta = [boolean] false

info.method = [string] GET
info.useCache = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [object] empty

Severity: 1103
Stack:
this._doneCallbacks();

Time: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:32:07 GMT

and this one slightly different.

ERROR: 104/#https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getNewestVersions: Error from server: A system error occurred that wasn't your fault. Please try again later.
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getNewestVersions
info.func = [string] shop/getNewestVersions
info.args = [object]
info.args.price = [string] free
info.args.includeMissing = [boolean] true
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string]
info.args.deviceNavcoreBuild = [string]
info.args.publicBeta = [boolean] false

info.method = [string] POST
info.useCache = [string] true
info.xmluploadbody = [xml] <getnewestversions>
<contentidlist>
<content idurl="http://str1.id.tomtom.com/phonedb/connect2internet?version=0"/>
</contentidlist>
</getnewestversions>

Severity: 1103
Stack:
this._doneCallbacks();

Time: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:32:07 GMT

Use winrar to extract the contents of this file to the Tomtom drive.

It will update your Tomtom's USB bootloader (including USB interface) to something that HOME 2.7 can better recognize.

Have you rebooted your computer since you got those errors you posted? If not, please do so and open Home again. See if the errors are gone.

I forgot one step:

After putting the files on the Tomtom hard drive, you need to disconnect, do a pin reset, and then start up the Tomtom until it gets to your map screen (or a no maps found screen). The startup is what does the upgrade.

Then try plugging into home afterwards.

Last edited:
Well, that did something....
I now have "No Maps Found!" on the screen. Yay! I've got something new.

Now why wouldn't I have a map? And more importantly, how do I get it.?

So far you've been very helpful!

Okay, well after resetting the tomtom again, and trying to get it finalized, it now boots to the no maps screen. So how do I get the map? Evidently its been erased at some point. Is that even possibly my wife could erase it easily? Or is this a glitch?

The maps were preinstalled on the GO 700 hard drive. There should be a map folder on the Tomtom called "North America" or "USA&Canada".

They can be deleted by a simple folder erase when plugged into a computer, so it's possible they were accidentally deleted.

If you don't see the folder, try running a chkdsk on the Tomtom drive. If that doesn't show the folder, try an undelete utility to see if it shows up.

If neither of those work, try calling up Tomtom phone support. Sometimes they are nice and will activate an old map on your account for free.

If none of the above work, you'll have to buy a new map from HOME.

Last edited:
Error 104 when attempting map subscription

I bought my wife a Go 700 years ago brand new, and it stopped working all together about a year ago (won't boot up). So I've vowed to get it working again to use for myself.

It doesn't boot up. It's stuck at a screen with a flashing red circle wtih a white X in it.

I downloaded HOME v2.7 from the tomtom site. it can't connect to the device. It recognizes it's a 700 but doesn't link it to my account or allow me to get an update. All kinds of error messages.

I've scoured the internet to the very end and can't find ANY support that helps me, including the tomtom site. I'm very frustrated, ready to drive over this thing.

When I view the files on the Tomtom itself, I don't see a map file. I see:

itn (folder)
autorun.inf (1k)
connect2internet.db (101k)
connect2internet.so (256k)
CurrentMap.dat (1k)
data.chk (1090k)
tthome.bif (shows up sometimes but deletes itself when it can't copy from computer?)

HELP!

---------

On my TomTom GO 720, I had to bypass the internal memory altogether because of the same issue. I inserted a 2GB SD, had TT (after about 5 phone calls later), send me the Library files in which I placed on the SD. Once I had them installed, my TT allowed Home to recognize it and the map update began.

I am working on my second TT device now that I purchased for a Christmas gift. One thing I can say it their Tech Support is almost NON-EXISTENT. I am very good with computers, so I diagnose everything before calling them. They're not much help at all. TT's are decent devices, but the Tech Support really needs an UPGRADE.

Hope the SD option helps.

NOW, my question, I have a new ONE device in which I cannot subscribe to the quarterly map update subscription. I get the Error 104, etc.. I have contacted TT oooh let's see 3 x's now, with no help on the horizon. It's a brand new device. I guess they are hoping that my map goes out-of-date and I will not be able to subscribe to the service without purchasing a new map first and THEN I'll be back in the same boat. Sounds pretty negative, I'm not...just have no faith with their support. In fact, when I rec'd my GO720, it was purchased in the summer for a Christmas gift for me. Well, TT allows within 30 days a free update. Well, that was not possible seeing that I rec'd it in December! Well, after a few dozen emails with no benefit, I suggested that they offer a monthly or quarterly service that we can pay for to get updates at a more reasonable rate. I find the irony here...they took my suggestion...and now it's giving me a hard time with my newer device!! Murphy's Law...gotta luv it!

Fedbred

---

Ask a Question