7.20 Maps and Speed Limits

Can someone confirm or deny that speed limits are a part of 7.20 maps within the US?

I've seen no indication that there are speed limits incorporated in to the USA version 7.20 maps. I'll check again, but pretty sure they aren't there.

7.20 maps in my 920 not only gives me highway/freeway speed limits, but it looks like they added speed limits on some residential streets here in Calif.

Here's my stupid question of the day. Did anyone hack to do the speed limits or is there a control to turn it on?

Here's my stupid question of the day. Did anyone hack to do the speed limits or is there a control to turn it on?

There is a setting to enable:
>Change Preferences
>Status Bar Preferences
>At the 1st 'Show on the Status bar' screen select 'Speed' and press Done.
>Now select 'Show max speed next to speed'

OK, did like y'all said. Does show speed limits on some roads now. but I also am seeing some of the speed limits posted are incorrect and are on roads that have had the same speed limits for a good many years. So at least its there.

Would somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't routes calculated based on speed limits also? So why doesn't TomTom just show them?

Would somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't routes calculated based on speed limits also? So why doesn't TomTom just show them?

For North America, Tom Tom apparently considers just 3 types of roads and arbitrarily assigns a speed limit to each. For example, highways = 55 mph, main streets = 40 mph and smaller street = 25 mph (something like that, anyway).

So, all route timings were based upon those kind of calculations prior to newer 7.15+ maps and, as a consequence, eta's were usually way off.

Apparently, the 720 maps have more roads mapped with actual speed limits so, presumably, the eta's are more accurate.

By the way, apparently maps in Europe apparently have 7 different road types that are associated with a specifi default speed.

I didn't have speed limits on my 720 until map version 720. Some roads and highways have them and some do not.

When I edit the speed limit, let us say "35" mph on a street the 720 will show it as "34". Streets that already have a speed limit programmed in have been accurate.

I didn't have speed limits on my 720 until map version 720. Some roads and highways have them and some do not.

When I edit the speed limit, let us say "35" mph on a street the 720 will show it as "34". Streets that already have a speed limit programmed in have been accurate.

Yeah 34 vs 35 mph is a silly issue. If you change over to kph, you'll see it's dead on. Since TT is a European company, they use kph and convert to mph for us. Their conversion constant is off a bit, and that's why it says 34 not 35. I've called them to let them know, but who knows if it will ever get to where it needs to be.

Yeah 34 vs 35 mph is a silly issue. If you change over to kph, you'll see it's dead on. Since TT is a European company, they use kph and convert to mph for us. Their conversion constant is off a bit, and that's why it says 34 not 35. I've called them to let them know, but who knows if it will ever get to where it needs to be.
From other posts, also from the UK, TT seems to do the lowering of 1 mile below at any speed selected.
Get this nice converter for your desktop and you'll notice the rounding up/down for metric/inch dimensions makes no sense.

If anything, it appears that TT used US maps for starters.
Why else are alerts on the Freeways called out at 1.6 km (1609 m = 1 mile), 800 m (1/2 mile) and 400 m (1/4 mile) !

[BTW, kph = 1000 per hour. (1000 per hour, what?) Did you mean km/h ?]

Thanks for the info. Yeah it's no big deal. Just nice to know nothing is wrong with my unit.

I have speed limits on some roads with 7.15 maps. I've added a bunch to other roads and have the same problem with them displaying as speed limit -1. It's strictly a conversion/truncation issue. All speed limits don't do it. There are several that work correctly. I have contacted TT about it too and went round and round with them because they insist on closing the tickets as solved, when I argue that as long as it's still doing it the issue is certainly not solved!

Ask a Question