7.161 kills sound in XL-S [Solution]

Same problem

I had the same problem...I thought I did a good backup but alas did not.

If someone is willing to email 7.14 to me...please feel free and thanks.

I finally.. after 1.5 hours with TomTom tech support got the problem solved. I have the file (older version 7.14) and I would be happy to share it with someone who needs it. It was a very frustrating day. Also, I am on a Mac, which made things even more complicated, but with reverting to the older version firmware and re-downloading Susan it fixed the problem.

I also asked why this firmware is still available if it is making all the xl's loose their sound. The response I got was.. " They are working on it!" I don't understand why they don't at least remove the update.

Anways...I am happy to share the download, to save anyone the pain that I had with tech support today.
So, I am not the only one with this issue!

Yes, please, please, please send me the file, or post it for download or put it on a site with a link or something.... anything!
Thank you.

Just bought a TomTom ONE XL-S. After a day of use, I was a happy camper. Then I upgraded (from 7.14) to 7.161 via TomTom HOME. Lost all sound, except initial "drumbeat" on startup.

Phone support tech led me through various steps, including a downgrade to 6.5xx, but nothing helped.

The last step that I had discussed with the support tech was restoring to the original software. (I had (thank goodness) done a backup via TomTom HOME prior to upgrading to 7.161). Initially, the tech said that would not solve the problem. By the end of the call, after other steps has failed to restore the sound, she agreed it was worth a try. I thought the restore would take as much time as the original backup , about 45 min, so I ended the call. Then I deleted the TomTom application from the TomTom, and did a restore back to version 7.14, which completed in only a few seconds (It looks like a TT HOME restore will not overwrite existing software--you have to first delete from the TomTom those parts you want restored).

My sound returned.

I am not going to try to upgrade to version 7.161 again, though I might try again with the next update after 7.161.
similar problem here. Had backed up, but only after installing 7.161!

All functions/voices fine except Text-to-Speech which was the one feature I bought this model for! Found that after upgrade the computer voices (that do the text-to-speech) were gone, just the normal ones remained. Went to install missing computer voices, but now there was not room on the internal memory to install even one computer generated voice, even if I removed everything except the default North America map.
Tried adding SD card to hold voices, but XLS does not (that I can figure out) use SD card and internal memory at same time... seems to be one or the other. Tried all techsupport's FAQ options. Waiting to hear back from Tech Support email request.

Software 7.14

Hi Everyone,

I can't attach it in this forum, because the limit of file attachment size is 8.5MB, so feel free to PM me. I have sent it to a few people already.

I also found that with the 7.163 update I lost all sound. I think this is because Home 1.5 (on Mac OS X) falsely identifies my XL-S as a GO and downloads the wrong update.

Strangely, when I restored to my backup, made straight from the box, the sound was fixed AND the app version remained at 7.163. I'm not 100% sure what it was before, but I think it was 7.12 (definitely not 7.163).

I also updated my TomTom One XLS. The only thing that went haywire was not having the ability to turn it on unless it has some kind of power supply plugged in (i.e. USB, in the car). Everything else is good including TTS. I do have a 7.14 backup but this is not a problem for me right now.

I also have the UK maps on a SD card. Its works normal when the SD is being used. Go figure!:confused:

I consider my self lucky! I can live with the way it is working right now.
Hi Barryg41,
I had the same problem after updating and tech support did solve that issue for me. They told me to turn the unit on, connected to a power scource then disconnect it from the power and let it reboot itself. Then, once it had done an automatic reboot and was running, use a paperclip or similar to push in the reset button (on the bottom under the sticker that says no SD card necessary) until the unit shut itself off. Since doing that I have been able to turn it on and off normally.

I finally.. after 1.5 hours with TomTom tech support got the problem solved. I have the file (older version 7.14) and I would be happy to share it with someone who needs it. It was a very frustrating day. Also, I am on a Mac, which made things even more complicated, but with reverting to the older version firmware and re-downloading Susan it fixed the problem.

I also asked why this firmware is still available if it is making all the xl's loose their sound. The response I got was.. " They are working on it!" I don't understand why they don't at least remove the update.

Anways...I am happy to share the download, to save anyone the pain that I had with tech support today.
Thanks so much for the file ebuyer.
Funny thing is, I thought I'd give it one more try before installing 7.14 and I discovered that, even though TTHome 2.1 says that I have no tts voices loaded, there actually is one in the device and it is working again normally for some reason. I have no idea why! But I still think it is a good idea to simply put in a 2gb or bigger SD card and run everything off that so you wont run into these issues of insufficient memory.
Thanks again for 7.14, I will definitely be hanging on to that file!
Cheers.

Thanks Ebuyer

I got the file and followed your directions, including downloading Susan from TTH. Luckily for me I have both windows and osX running on my Mac so I have TTH2 and was able to get Susan via TTH2. A total pain, but ultimately I am back to out of the box condition.

I certainly hope that the next firmware update improves this issue.

Are any of the pay per voice voices TTSable? I cant say I wouldnt enjoy a change of pace every now and then.

Re: 7.14

Hi Everyone,

I can't attach it in this forum, because the limit of file attachment size is 8.5MB, so feel free to PM me. I have sent it to a few people already.

Thanks a million for the file ebuyer. Happy New Year to you and your family and everyone else on this fine forum site. :)

I am glad to help. If I can save some of you the frustration which I had with tech support, then I am more than happy to do so.

I am inclined to call tech support and let them know, that despite their thinking that this isn't a big tech issues that I have sent over 20 emails out in less than 2 days, so I would consider this a larger issue which needs more attention.

Anways.. I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Hi Barryg41,
I had the same problem after updating and tech support did solve that issue for me. They told me to turn the unit on, connected to a power scource then disconnect it from the power and let it reboot itself. Then, once it had done an automatic reboot and was running, use a paperclip or similar to push in the reset button (on the bottom under the sticker that says no SD card necessary) until the unit shut itself off. Since doing that I have been able to turn it on and off normally.

essbee230....that did the trick!!!:D My TomTom is back to normal thanks to your instructions from tech support.

So I found out how to just fix the 7.163 version by replacing 1 file that is in the 7.14 version.

I posted that file on filefront for anyone who wants to download it

http://files.filefront.com/LoqAudioBoardso/;9364890;/fileinfo.html

You should be able to just place that file "LoqAudioBoard.so" in "<tomtom>/LoquendoTTS/lib" after pluging the USB cable to your computer.

The full download of 7.14 is at the following location.
http://files.filefront.com/ONEXLS+7140zip/;9364904;/fileinfo.html

The original poster can post instructions for the full downgrade to 7.14 if needed.

Top this thread!

This thread needs to be topped. Or consider it to be a sticky. Lots of good info on the TT1 with many problems AND fixes.

Downgrade Directions

Here are the directions I have been sending everyone for the downgrade:

Directions for downgrading software:

First unzip the file. You will see several files inside.

Mac Users:
Attach your TomTom to the computer.. You will see the TomTOm on your desktop. Click and drag the contents of the folder from the zip file ontop of the TomTom. It will ask if you want to replace those files.. say yes. This will give you the older version.

One issue I experienced after doing this.. was that I lost Susan(the computer voice which allows the TomTom to read) You will have to download this as well. Unfortunately, this is only available from TomTom Home 2.1 which is not available yet. I had to switch to the PC to re-install her voice. This is a large file and will take about 45 min. on highspeed connection.

To install Susan:
1. Open Home
2. Choose Add Voice and then look for the Computer Voice icon. You should be able to choose Susan from there.

PC Users:
I assume that you can drag the same folder ontop of the TomTom to replace the old software from the Hard Drive.

Computer voices fixed

In Windows XP you can't drag to folders and have them install like on a Mac (I have both an iMac and an XP laptop). If you have Windows, you can do it this way, and you don't have to reinstall the voices...

Take the files ebuyer kindly provided and put all but the LoquendoTTS folder in the root of E:\, replacing the existing files. Take the LoqAudioBoard.so file out of the LoquendoTTS\lib folder that ebuyer provided and put it into E:\LoquendoTTS\lib. Disconnect and let the unit restart. The computer voices will now work.

Because I was feeling daring and had made a backup, I reconnected to the computer and let Home update my TomTom XL-S. To my surprise, it updated me to 7.162 and NOT 7.163. I guess TomTom discovered there is a problem with 7.163. How about that.

Now everything works and I'm running 7.162. Thanks ebuyer!
Bryan

Last edited:
That is a verry old problem, all new model have newer version that dose not so that anymore. It should remove that sticky.

Ask a Question