7.161 kills sound in XL-S [Solution]

Just bought a TomTom ONE XL-S. After a day of use, I was a happy camper. Then I upgraded (from 7.14) to 7.161 via TomTom HOME. Lost all sound, except initial "drumbeat" on startup.

Phone support tech led me through various steps, including a downgrade to 6.5xx, but nothing helped.

The last step that I had discussed with the support tech was restoring to the original software. (I had (thank goodness) done a backup via TomTom HOME prior to upgrading to 7.161). Initially, the tech said that would not solve the problem. By the end of the call, after other steps has failed to restore the sound, she agreed it was worth a try. I thought the restore would take as much time as the original backup , about 45 min, so I ended the call. Then I deleted the TomTom application from the TomTom, and did a restore back to version 7.14, which completed in only a few seconds (It looks like a TT HOME restore will not overwrite existing software--you have to first delete from the TomTom those parts you want restored).

My sound returned.

I am not going to try to upgrade to version 7.161 again, though I might try again with the next update after 7.161.

Moderator Edit: The link to the older firmware 7.141 is post #33

Last edited by a moderator:
I encountered the same issue, though at the time I didn't realize it was the update that wiped out my sound. I exchanged it for another, and all was well, until several days later when the update was again installed. But, like you, fortunately I had made a backup and was able to restore to the older version, bringing sound back.

--Michael (also in NOLA)

i'm glad i'm not the only one that was bitten by this. i too sat on the phone with tech support forever this afternoon to no avail.

unfortunately, i hadn't backed up prior to installing 7.161

is there anywhere to download 7.141?

I thought I saw a site that archived all the TomTom updates. (I guess not this site--I haven't spent much time looking at TomTom sites.) Try some Google searching. Sorry to not be more specific.

You're looking for 7.14, not 7.141.

I got the exact same problem. Open Trouble Ticket with TomTom support, they let me reinstall the computer voice (Susan and Dave), but no help.

I did not do backup when upgrade to Navcore 7.161_8491, Wonder is there anyone can upload the Navcore 7.14 which come with the original TomTom XL-S? (If connected TomTom to your PC and open the file brower, these are files under TomTom directory, called: ttsystem,install.bif,libaec.so.

7.162 is now the latest per TomTom site with "minor improvements" over 7.161. Has your XL updated to this version and did it help?

7.162 is now the latest per TomTom site with "minor improvements" over 7.161. Has your XL updated to this version and did it help?

i've read about 7.162 also, but TT home says there are no updates available for me. i haven't been able to update to 7.162 yet.

After I opened a trouble ticket with TomTom support and get the Applicaion version 7.140, I reapplied and the TTS works right away.

I think the XL-S is kind of special product. Hardware wise, it is exactly the same as XL, even the product in the system states One XL. So general One Application such as 7.161 might not work with the new model "S". It just kills the TTS feature. I am not sure 7.162 will fix it since XL-S is just hitting the market and application is not fully tested with it.

So wait for couple of months before do any upgrade. If you don't have version 7.140, open a ticket with TT and they will send to you.

so after way too much time spent with tech support, they forwarded me a copy of 7.14 to restore my XLS unit. it works, although somewhere along the way, it erased the computer-generated voice necessary to take advantage of the TTS function. baby steps i guess.

but i did back-up this time!

I've had my XLS for only a short time, & after getting on TomTom Home & upgrading the XLS a couple days ago (Mac OS 10.4), the computer voice is gone. Thus, it appears I'm also the victim of the "upgrade?"

Is there any way to learn what version is in my device?

Is there an easy source for the older version other than going thru TT tech support?

7.161 killed Susan, got her back though

Just bought a TomTom ONE XL-S. After a day of use, I was a happy camper. Then I upgraded (from 7.14) to 7.161 via TomTom HOME. Lost all sound, except initial "drumbeat" on startup.

Phone support tech led me through various steps, including a downgrade to 6.5xx, but nothing helped.

The last step that I had discussed with the support tech was restoring to the original software. (I had (thank goodness) done a backup via TomTom HOME prior to upgrading to 7.161). Initially, the tech said that would not solve the problem. By the end of the call, after other steps has failed to restore the sound, she agreed it was worth a try. I thought the restore would take as much time as the original backup , about 45 min, so I ended the call. Then I deleted the TomTom application from the TomTom, and did a restore back to version 7.14, which completed in only a few seconds (It looks like a TT HOME restore will not overwrite existing software--you have to first delete from the TomTom those parts you want restored).

My sound returned.

I am not going to try to upgrade to version 7.161 again, though I might try again with the next update after 7.161.

Seems tyipical for the xl-s...although I encountered 2 issues w/7.16

1. Issue with TTS/Susan. I had to manually deleted her directory, and downloaded her via Home 2.1...now all is OK.
  2. After upgrading to 7.16, picking up signal is slower...it takes now between 30-45 secs to get a signal (before, it used to do it instantly)

7.163 still broken

I did the same thing many of you did: I upgraded my XL-S without doing a backup first thing out of the box, and discovered TTS doesn't work.

It upgraded me to 7.163, which still doesn't work.

I'm trying to get through to tomtom support to get the working version (7.140), but their phone line is constantly busy. They're probably busy dealing with all the people who got XL-S's for christmas and broken them by upgrading!

I have been running all the updates and have 7.162 loaded and have sound. I assume you are referring to the voices being used. I did notice a reduction in the number of choices. Yesterday I downloaded free voices and loaded one up. It does not work. Wonder if there is a file format change.

Frustrated

Like most of you.. I also blew out my sound settings.. after spending a few hours trying to connect my Verizon phone. After reading everyone's post, I began searching for the older version software(7.14) and I can't find it anywhere. I guess what I find most disturbing, is that during my search I found people who had this issue in the beginning of November. I don't understand why the update hasn't been pulled or the company hasn't provided a place on their website where you can revert back to the original version. I guess I have learned my lesson about backing up.

If anyone find the software online. Can you please post the link. I hope that I will have more success when I call tech support, as they should be very familiar with this problem.

ugh!

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

I've had my XL-S for three weeks now and have none of these issues discussed here. One would think that production would be the same on all units, guess not. :rolleyes: I'm one of the fortunate ones, so far.

I also updated my TomTom One XLS. The only thing that went haywire was not having the ability to turn it on unless it has some kind of power supply plugged in (i.e. USB, in the car). Everything else is good including TTS. I do have a 7.14 backup but this is not a problem for me right now.

I also have the UK maps on a SD card. Its works normal when the SD is being used. Go figure!:confused:

I consider my self lucky! I can live with the way it is working right now.

My XL-S is three days old, and came with version 7.163 out of the box. The human voices worked fine, but the TTS computer voice didn't work.. and now NONE of the voices work. What's going on?????

I finally.. after 1.5 hours with TomTom tech support got the problem solved. I have the file (older version 7.14) and I would be happy to share it with someone who needs it. It was a very frustrating day. Also, I am on a Mac, which made things even more complicated, but with reverting to the older version firmware and re-downloading Susan it fixed the problem.

I also asked why this firmware is still available if it is making all the xl's loose their sound. The response I got was.. " They are working on it!" I don't understand why they don't at least remove the update.

Anways...I am happy to share the download, to save anyone the pain that I had with tech support today.

I got a one xl for christmas and as soon as I did the update it never worked again, even after 2 hours with tech support. They finally said the unit was toast and said it would have to be sent in. Luckily my wife got it from QVC and they have a no questions asked return policy. I was thinking of trying the xl-s, but this my previous experience with the xl and this thread has scared me off. I am going to try a garmin nuvi 260 instead. Based on my research on the xl product line, especially from all of the issues noted on this site, I think tomtom really needs to retool the software.

I have the file (older version 7.14) and I would be happy to share it with someone who needs it.

I would LOVE to have the 7.14 software, if you're willing to share it. It's the only solution I can think of... Please let me know how we should be in touch, or if you can post it in the forum, that would be great.

Thank you!

Ask a Question