7.05 North America Maps Bigger than 7.10

Hi guys,

I just realized that the North America maps 7.10 for the go 720 are about 400mb less then the North America maps 7.05. Could this be right?

Hmm I wonder how many other people have the same problem.

This also might explain why some are having problems with the Spoken address feature not working.

Hmm I wonder how many other people have the same problem.

This also might explain why some are having problems with the Spoken address feature not working.

Ok after speaking to tomtom north america their appears that they have three map versions for the tomtom go 720.

1.North America and Canada at 900mb = no spoken address dialog, Maps included: All 50 states and Canada but with less poi's.

2.North America and Canada at 1.7GB = no spoken address dialog, Maps included: All 50 States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

3.North America at 1.9GB = spoken dialog after adding the support_asr.dat file, Maps Included: All 50 States, Canada and Puerto Rico

so the 1.9gb is better then 1.7gb? I don't see the 1.9gb in tomtom home.

You will have to call tomtom and ask them to activate it.

They will ask you to verify the SN of the device and they may require that you provide them with a receipt and map guarantee code.

That's what happend to me.

I just download the map used Home and I dont think I have the 1.9GB Map but my voice input works :confused:

You will have to call tomtom and ask them to activate it.

They will ask you to verify the SN of the device and they may require that you provide them with a receipt and map guarantee code.

That's what happend to me.

Did that version come with the unit or did you have to purchase it?

Did that version come with the unit or did you have to purchase it?

My unit came with the North America_2gb (actual file size 1.24gb). For some reason it would not let me upgrade to the 7.10 maps thru tomtom home, so I called Tomtom.

They gave me 3 sets of maps because there initial mistakes.

First rep gave me the 900Mb file. I noticed most of my POI's were gone so I called tomtom again.

Second rep gave me the 1.9gb file. I couldn't fit these files on the internal memory without having to rip some map files out.

Third rep finally gave me the correct maps. (North America and Canada file size 1.7GB) I also asked him about the different map versions and what they contained and he was nice enough to get a senior rep to explain the differences which are posted above.

Ok after speaking to tomtom north america their appears that they have three map versions for the tomtom go 720.

1.North America and Canada at 900mb = no spoken address dialog, Maps included: All 50 states and Canada but with less poi's.

2.North America and Canada at 1.7GB = no spoken address dialog, Maps included: All 50 States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

3.North America at 1.9GB = spoken dialog after adding the support_asr.dat file, Maps Included: All 50 States, Canada and Puerto Rico

That's not accurate. I downloaded the 1.7GB version and have spoken address.

OK, a ;littel help here please:
1) Which one is the correct map to get voice with the AST file?
2) since it will not fit on the 720, please set by set to either get it on the TomTom
3) what is the difference of running it from the TomTom or putting it on a card and running it from the Card?

OK, a ;littel help here please:
1) Which one is the correct map to get voice with the AST file?
2) since it will not fit on the 720, please set by set to either get it on the TomTom
3) what is the difference of running it from the TomTom or putting it on a card and running it from the Card?

North America 7.10 map (NOT US & Canada 7.10) PLUS firmware 7.221 installed on your TomTom 720 unit.

I won't even go through the steps (they are listed in detail in other threads, David) necessary to get the map to fit on the internal memory. Get a SD card of 2 gigs or 4 and install it there. Life will be soooo much easier for you. It'll work from a compatible sd card.

North America 7.10 map (NOT US & Canada 7.10) PLUS firmware 7.221 installed on your TomTom 720 unit.

I won't even go through the steps (they are listed in detail in other threads, David) necessary to get the map to fit on the internal memory. Get a SD card of 2 gigs or 4 and install it there. Life will be soooo much easier for you. It'll work from a compatible sd card.

Do you then keep both versions of the map on your TomTom?

Seems some people have got the 1.7Gb map and spoken dialog to work.

However, I was not able to get it to work with the 1.7gb file.

I ended up buying a 4gb SDHC from office max and installed 1.9Gb file with spoken dialog.

Ask a Question