540TM Lifetime Map activation problems

also as a high end model the 720 had lots of smaller added features like auto-volume, auto-brightness, bluetooth weather, etc.

The only thing I'll miss on the new unit vs. my 720 is the SD Card slot I think. My 720 is not a good speakerphone, voice recognition is so-so (didn't rely on it), don't really like autovolume, don't use the MP3 player. That's probably why it's been a reliable navigator for me..I don't use a lot of the frills. .

xxl 540tm lifetime map activation problem

Try the following...

1) Switch on the device (preferably in open air. Charge if needed?)
2) Set your country, language, home location & other preferences
3) Create an A/C with Tomtom
4) Switch off, connect the device to your computer & switch on
5) Follow the instruction to activate the lifetime map update code and other updates

Note: you might have to retry couple of times to get the update (in case of any error, switch off the device, reconnect it to the computer and switch on)

First Post

I just got my TT XXL 540 M in the mail from Amazon. The updates went ok, but it will not let me enter an activation code. The message tells me to try again later. What should I do. This is my first TOM TOM.

Thank You,

Call customer support (open Mon - Sat) at 866-486-6866.

Many with the 540 lifetime maps are reporting the same issue regarding activation.

I went thru this process a few days ago. If it's been previously covered, I apologize in advance. Connect your Tomtom device to your computer, and let it connect to your Tomtom home application which you'd downloaded (mine is v 2.7.4.1962- ostensibly the current release). Make sure you're logged in (your email address utilized for this should be displayed in the upper right hand of the app. Otherwise, log in). Click on Tools--> Use Latest Map Guarantee. The most current map should be displayed for downloading. Once that's been selected, downloaded and installed (and this took me almost two hours; it's an exhaustive process), then click on the "Use my activation code" icon and try to enter it again. If that doesn't work, then switch off and on your 540TM, let it reconnect and try to enter the activation code again - as explained by hizbiz in a previous post. I was advised that the latest map should be downloaded first in the manner described above, before attempting to activate the promotion code or it will fail. You should receive a subsequent email with the verbiage: "Welcome to TomTom Lifetime Map Update Service," once the code was registered successfully.

I just got a XL 340 live with maps and traffic and I get that error when I use my code also. As for the 30 day map, Home told me I did not qualify for this. I will be on the phone with CS first thing tomorrow.

UPDATE - I finally got my tomtom to show the screen with the agreement and plugged it in. Now my code works so no need to call tomtom.

Last edited:
XXL 540 promotion code problem

Hello,

I just bought the XXL540 from newegg because of the lifetime updates. However, I've been getting the same error message "An error has occured, please try again later."

My 30 day guaranteed update worked for me, and I've installed it. Somehow the code wouldn't work. Should I call tomtom or can this problem be resolved without calling tech support?

Morocco Map - Download issue with the xxl 540S

Good day. This is my first post. I received my TT XXL 540S last week with USA/Canada/Mexico and European maps pre-loaded. I am having problems downloading the

Morocco Map (4.6MB).

TT CS helped me with the download but it doesn't show on the TT device (when I try to type in Morocco for the country the device says it's not found). Home says its there and on the computer. File downloaded was 4736Kb but the actual map is suppose to be 4.6Mb. TT CS said it would take about 45 minutes for the download. I had them on the phone when it started. The download that was installed only took 5 minutes. Had already hung-up with CS and could not reach them again.

I am logged on with my email used for my account on the TT Home when I downloaded the file. Home says its on the F:/Morocco and when I click there - it all appears to be there.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem. I know the European maps work on the device. (I see them). Thanks for any help on this problem. The 540S is useless to be without the Moroccan maps. Rick

Welcome to TTF.

On the unit, have you tried to go to Manage Maps, switch maps and see if Morroco is listed as being selectable? (Change Preferences-->page 3 will be Switch map).

I just bought (October 26, 2010) my tomtom xxl 540TM also from Amazon.com.
You have to download the "tomtom home" first and and activate your code (promotion Code). This activation paper is inluded in your box. And it will load all latest map for north america (USA, Canada and Mexico).
But now I am having problem. My first destination of my tomtom xxl 540TM I was lost to Geneva Illinois for the exact location and direct me to opposite of town(Geneva IL.), from my house (waukegan Illinois).

But now I am having problem. My first destination of my tomtom xxl 540TM I was lost to Geneva Illinois for the exact location and direct me to opposite of town(Geneva IL.), from my house (waukegan Illinois).
I'm not 100% clear about your problem, but by any chance did you just enter a street name without an E or W included? Sometimes, a town will assume one or the other ... for example, Main Street (for the north side of town) and S Main Street (for the south side of town). Happens with E and W, too. If you don't include the compass direction, it will go with the side of town that doesn't use one in the street name.

And are you saying it won't give directions to a location in Geneva, IL from your home location in Waukegan?
Sounds like it sent him to an address in Geneva, but on the other side of town from where he wanted to go.

Ask a Question