540S WTE Lifetime Maps? - Future Shop

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S WE
Hi All

Saw an add in Future Shop (Canada) for a TT540S WTE (World Edition) with Lifetime Maps for $229 CAD. Thought this was a good deal but I wanted to be sure about the lifetime maps so before I bought it. I asked the FS salesclerk (the expert on GPSs I was told) if it was in fact lifetime map updates on this model. He said he didn't know and would check. When he came back he said it was, so I purchased it. Still being a non-believer I phoned TT from my car to verify and the women at TT said yes, it was true, so I went home happy. When I got home I hooked it up to my computer but found that I needed an activation code for the lifetime maps (according to TT Home) but nothing in box or manual.

I started to become suspicious about the info I had received and did some searching and found that the model with the lifetime maps world edition is the 540TM (or M) WTE, that the "S" version doesn't have the lifetime maps. This a.m. I found in the newspaper (in exteremely small type) a correction notice for FS that the 540S DOES NOT have lifetime maps! WTF! Both the FS sales and the TT help line gave me wrong info!

From checking around it seems that the TT540TM WTE version is not available yet, did FS jump the gun on this? Will a 540TM WTE version be out soon?

I guess I'll take the 540S WTE back to FS and wait for the TM model. BTW Best Buy had the exact same model (540S WTE) for $199.99 ($30 less than FS which leads me to believe that the FS was supposed to be the TM model?).

Confused & Frustrated!

Hi All

Saw an add in Future Shop (Canada) for a TT540S WTE (World Edition) with Lifetime Maps for $229 CAD. Thought this was a good deal but I wanted to be sure about the lifetime maps so before I bought it. I asked the FS salesclerk (the expert on GPSs I was told) if it was in fact lifetime map updates on this model. He said he didn't know and would check. When he came back he said it was, so I purchased it. Still being a non-believer I phoned TT from my car to verify and the women at TT said yes, it was true, so I went home happy. When I got home I hooked it up to my computer but found that I needed an activation code for the lifetime maps (according to TT Home) but nothing in box or manual.

I started to become suspicious about the info I had received and did some searching and found that the model with the lifetime maps world edition is the 540TM (or M) WTE, that the "S" version doesn't have the lifetime maps. This a.m. I found in the newspaper (in exteremely small type) a correction notice for FS that the 540S DOES NOT have lifetime maps! WTF! Both the FS sales and the TT help line gave me wrong info!

From checking around it seems that the TT540TM WTE version is not available yet, did FS jump the gun on this? Will a 540TM WTE version be out soon?

I guess I'll take the 540S WTE back to FS and wait for the TM model. BTW Best Buy had the exact same model (540S WTE) for $199.99 ($30 less than FS which leads me to believe that the FS was supposed to be the TM model?).

Confused & Frustrated!
Right. I received the 540S when I expected the 540 WTE.

I RETURNED IT.

I'm waiting, and waiting for the 540 WTE TM.

A 540WTE *AND* TM would be a heck of a steal at that price. The 540 WTE without the lifetime subscriptions is going for around US$180 at Amazon at the moment, and that's as low as I've seen it.

Just an FYI for anyone not wanting the world traveler edition...

I got the 540TM at Amazon.com $212.95 including next day (Saturday) shipping.

Item(s) Subtotal: $192.98 Shipping & Handling: $19.97

Ask a Question