510 took a dump, please help...

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 510
Update:
I ran out of gas, and just had TT support troubleshoot it with me until they decided to repair it. I am now boxing up my device and sending it to them. If you can get your TomTom to hook up to your computer correctly, then the following link might help.

http://www.tomtom.com/2053

Other than that, I will be here in a few weeks when my new/working TT510 is back. Thanks for all your help guys!!!!

There is still a lot of excellent troubleshooting advice from the mods. If you are having problems, continue to read.

I searched the forum, but could not find an answer.

My TT510 worked great out of the box. Everything was awesome. I fully charged it, and turned it off. The next day I tried installing 'home', and connecting my TT510. My device was frozen, and I had to charge it and hit the reset button in order for it to power back on.

Once it powered on, I got the red X over the SD card error, and my computer won't recognize my TT so I can reload the application. Any ideas as to why my computer won't recognize it?

I installed the CD software, home is running, and I tried to select my device. My TT even comes up in device manager. But, home will not recognize it.

My computer is a brand new Dell running Vista Home Premium.

(I bought it as a present for my wife:D , and she has not received it because of the problem. So, if you could help quickly I'd really appreciate it, and would write it up into a post on the forum.)

TL;DR = Trouble connecting new TT510 to computer for the first time. SD card somehow erased, and I cannot reload it so I'm stuck with the RED X OF DEATH.:eek: HELP

Last edited:
What version of HOME are you running? Does the 510 behave as it should when NOT connected to the PC?

With Vista, my first impulse is go download HOME from tt.com to ensure it's the latest version. I know they updated it awhile back just for Vista. Don't rely on the app that came with the CD and/or your product.

Let us know!

I searched the forum, but could not find an answer.

My TT510 worked great out of the box. Everything was awesome. I fully charged it, and turned it off. The next day I tried installing 'home', and connecting my TT510. My device was frozen, and I had to charge it and hit the reset button in order for it to power back on.

Once it powered on, I got the red X over the SD card error, and my computer won't recognize my TT so I can reload the application. Any ideas as to why my computer won't recognize it?

I installed the CD software, home is running, and I tried to select my device. My TT even comes up in device manager. But, home will not recognize it.

My computer is a brand new Dell running Vista Home Premium.

(I bought it as a present for my wife:D , and she has not received it because of the problem. So, if you could help quickly I'd really appreciate it, and would write it up into a post on the forum.)

TL;DR = Trouble connecting new TT510 to computer for the first time. SD card somehow erased, and I cannot reload it so I'm stuck with the RED X OF DEATH.:eek: HELP

Are you sure the card is functioning properly? can you r/w to it thrhough a card reader?

DON'T run it in a card reader. Leave it int he TomTom. You're problem is most likely running HOMe from the CD that came with your unit.

go to http://tomtom.com/home and download the latest version of HOME. If you need to...you might need to re-install your app after you install the new version of HOME.

Keep us posted....

...and welcome to the site!

I can power up, but no matter what I'm connected to when i power up, I still get the green screen with the red X. Home tells me that it cannot detect my TT too. I contacted customer support, and they told me that I would need to call back on monday and they would reload the application on my SD card with me. Not sure how if Home won't recognize my TomTom connected.

I really would not like to wait for monday...

I seriously appreciate how fast you guys are responding!!!

EDIT: I am going to download home directly from tomtom.com. Will update later.

Alright, I downloaded home, and it seems to be working. I am now on an XP computer. The computer itself recognizes my tomtom, but Home will not. I think we are a step closer. Keep the help coming!!!

How can I reinstall the app? I do not have a CD besides the HOME INSTALL disc?

Being a noob is frustrating.

Last edited:
Did you uninstall the old version of HOME first?

Have HOME running.
Don't power on your ONE but connect it to the PC.
Turn it on, then it will ask you if you want to connect to the PC, say yes.
HOME should see it.

What?!?!?!1

I contacted customer support, and they told me that I would need to call back on monday and they would reload the application on my SD card with me.
WHAT?!?!?!?!

What kind of support is this?!?!?!? Next they'll tell you that we need to call between the hours of 9-5 THEIR time?????

This is ridiculous! Granted we as TomTom owners don't have a 'support contract' but come on TomTom!!!!

...just ANOTHER reason why anyone with TomTom questions should come here! To TomTomForums.com to get all your aswers.....

Yeah, imagine my surprise. I tried

Have HOME running.
Don't power on your ONE but connect it to the PC.
Turn it on, then it will ask you if you want to connect to the PC, say yes.
HOME should see it.

But, still no response from either device. My PC sure let me know that my USB device could run faster...

Is there anyway to restore my app, not through home?

A long shot, I know, but have you tried to go up to device->change device under HOME? Sometimes that found my device when all else fails.

I have real home issues tonight so i'll be offline the rest of the evening. I'll look for updates on this tomorrow and if you haven't a fix, I'll do some troubleshooting...

Thanks, Battom, you guys have been great so far. Like I said, I'm just hoping to get it fixed before Monday. That's when my wife leaves for Chicago again for 5 days. (She is doing a practicum for American Sign Language)

OK I'm not up to par on Vista yet so let's get this up and running on your XP machine.

As berkisho has said, let's make sure that SD card isn't dead. Put it in a card reader (either XP or Vista) and see if you can read it. If not... (Do this is XP) Format the SD card. FAT or FAT32, doesn't matter. FAT would be best but my card is running fine in FAT32.

Next.... still on XP.
Ensure you have the latest version of HOME installed on XP from http://tomtom.com/home
with the TomTom OFF, plug it into a USB port on your XP box (try a different port too as you said the PC found it last time and told you it could run faster...) I would think by this you either plugged it into a front side port on your machine instead of in the back? Or maybe you just have a really old PC...

I think I read that you don't have the OEM CD that came with the TomTom to install the app from? Let me know.... and if you can give me some details I can provide you with 6.560. HOME will try to update to this anyway after you install the app from the CD and it does an update check.

DON'T LOAD ANY MAPS yet until you have the current app loaded. Lets try to get that far first.

Do you have a spare SD Card? Just in case? If you just bought this and you are planning on getting the updated Maps DVD an putting the North America map on instead of the USA_Canada map, you'll need a bigger SD Card anyway.. (See the hot deals section of our site).

Once you have the latest app loaded then we can load the maps.

Yeah, I don't have the OEM CD. I only have a card reader for the dell (VISTA), and putting the TT SD card in and trying to read it causes it to crash Windows explorer. I'm heeding your advice and going to Meijer and getting a reader and a 2GB card. I'll PM you my gmail address. If you can email a CD image to me, I'd appreciate it.

Lionheartck's saga is only one of too many threads about dead TomTom's that I read here or on other European forums (Red 'X', don't turn ON, don't turn OFF). I think Moderarors should make a sticky like "TomTom newbies read this first" , with all the precautions about TomTom home, connecting & disconnecting procedure, importance of backups ...
I think his biggest mistake is connecting to Home without his 510 on power supply & it went down midway. Without a backup, he can't do anything without contacting TomTom's support. The SD card has been messed up by Home.
For Lionheartck's question whether can he install the app back without Home. The answer is yes, if you have a backup, just reformat the SD card and drag & drop all the files back.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. The CD that came with it is a tomtom CD, but only seems to have the user manual, voices, and the home install program on it. I don't recognize anything else as useful (licenses and raster)

oh yeah that's right!! the OEM CD doesn't have the maps on it.... I forgot!!!

Do you have a god backup???? Have you ordered you maps update DVD yet?

Know that I"m new, but I have a few friends with ONE's and 510's, which are SD based, so I hope that their steps will help. I can't post a link yet, but there's an FAQ under the support tab at tomtom.com. Just type in Vista and it'll be the first one there.

With your 510, and if you have a red X on it, you can try the following:

-use a back port USB (dunno why this works with ours and not our front ports, but it does) and do a soft reset on the TomTom device before putting it on the docking station. Power it on and see if the screen changes to a red x over a hand or a green screen with a cord (The ONE's have the green screen, but one of the 510's has a red X over a hand with languages that say please wait....weird, but okay....) That should make a connection for the computer to recognize it

-next, use that updated TomTom HOME application for Vista and see if it will automatically look for updates (we've never had it not look for updates automatically, so if it doesn't then the computer connection is weird) If it looks for updates and says none are found, you can go to install to TomTom on the left side and look for an application to install onto the TomTom device. If it downloads, then you can go ahead and just install the application over again

This worked for us, dunno if anyone else has had issues, but here's hoping. We have a few other steps we try if you need anything else! Good Luck!

I have only had my TT510 since last thursday. It started doing this on Friday. I did a hard reset because it would not turn on, then I put it on the PC dock, it was trying to auto-update, then froze. I tried power-cycling it, and got the RED X animation. I know for sure that my PC (Switched to my older one running XP) recognizes it, but home keeps telling me that no compatible tomtom device is connected.

Know that I"m new, but I have a few friends with ONE's and 510's, which are SD based, so I hope that their steps will help. I can't post a link yet, but there's an FAQ under the support tab at tomtom.com. Just type in Vista and it'll be the first one there.

With your 510, and if you have a red X on it, you can try the following:

-use a back port USB (dunno why this works with ours and not our front ports, but it does) and do a soft reset on the TomTom device before putting it on the docking station. Power it on and see if the screen changes to a red x over a hand or a green screen with a cord (The ONE's have the green screen, but one of the 510's has a red X over a hand with languages that say please wait....weird, but okay....) That should make a connection for the computer to recognize it

-next, use that updated TomTom HOME application for Vista and see if it will automatically look for updates (we've never had it not look for updates automatically, so if it doesn't then the computer connection is weird) If it looks for updates and says none are found, you can go to install to TomTom on the left side and look for an application to install onto the TomTom device. If it downloads, then you can go ahead and just install the application over again

This worked for us, dunno if anyone else has had issues, but here's hoping. We have a few other steps we try if you need anything else! Good Luck!

Home says that no updates have been found when I look for them. Home just refuses to see my TT at all.

Edit: Also, the only SD card at Meijer that was 2GB was priced at $89.99. So, that's out for now...

Last edited:

Ask a Question