510 some settings not being saved [Q]

I got one of the Woot Go 510 TT's for a friend that wanted a GPS. The price was great even for a refurb @ 205 shipped. I was setting it up for him with all the latest updates and such. One thing I noticed is that the settings will not be saved, the initial ones like language, map handedness and such, if I remove and replace the chip. To be a little more specific, after putting in the chip, and going through the setup, I can turn the unit on and off repeatedly and it will not reset and I don't have to enter anything. However, if I pop the chip out and replace it, I have to go through the settings again. It seems to save the POI choices and other stuff just not the initial ones as stated above. I know when I had some problems with my TT 1 v2 I did the reflash app from the tomtom site and that fixed things. I'm wondering if this is what I need to do to the 510 or it's normally that way? I just hate to reflash if it's not needed, if something goes wrong we could end up with an expensive paperweight :p

Thanks,

Peaty

I got one of the Woot Go 510 TT's for a friend that wanted a GPS. The price was great even for a refurb @ 205 shipped. I was setting it up for him with all the latest updates and such. One thing I noticed is that the settings will not be saved, the initial ones like language, map handedness and such, if I remove and replace the chip. To be a little more specific, after putting in the chip, and going through the setup, I can turn the unit on and off repeatedly and it will not reset and I don't have to enter anything. However, if I pop the chip out and replace it, I have to go through the settings again. It seems to save the POI choices and other stuff just not the initial ones as stated above. I know when I had some problems with my TT 1 v2 I did the reflash app from the tomtom site and that fixed things. I'm wondering if this is what I need to do to the 510 or it's normally that way? I just hate to reflash if it's not needed, if something goes wrong we could end up with an expensive paperweight :p

Thanks,

Peaty

I would try the flash tool. I have a 510 which had similar problems(just not as bad). I did the flash tool and have been problem free.

Just a quick follow up, I did the reflash and have removed and replaced the chip a few times and doing the relfash seemed to do the trick thanks :)

I am have the same problem. Any time I remove the SD card OR connect my 510 to my computer, when I turn it on the next time, it will want to go through setup again. I've already updated to the "latest" version through TomTom Home (6.525) but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? Where is this "reflash" tool you guys are speaking of?

EDIT: SOLVED! I found the flash tool (they don't make it obvious) and it's working fine now.

Last edited:
Yes I had a problem too when people said they reflashed just for people that might search and find this here is the link on the site:

http://tinyurl.com/yo9b7q

Hope that link works, if not go to the Tomtom.com website and then support, pick your model and drill down to activation issues that will point to the flash app..

Glad it worked for you too.

From that liink:

If you are having one of the problems described below, it could be that there are too many files in the flash memory on your device:

* You are unable to activate the map on your TomTom device even though you have a valid product code.
* You have to enter the passkey every time you connect your TomTom device with your mobile phone.
* Your settings are not saved when you turn your TomTom device on and off.

To fix these problems, follow the instructions below to download and run the TomTom Clear Flash tool.

I got my 510 on woot! as well. It is like new, and the only problem I have had with it is that it wouldn't connect automatically to my phone without having to enter the passcode every time. The clear flash tool fixed my problem and I am now quite pleased! :D

I wonder how many of these things were returned simply because of stupid stuff like this? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling it's just a good idea to use the reflash tool if you get a refurb unit. So far I've worked on three of them and they all needed to have it done.

I have a feeling it's just a good idea to use the reflash tool if you get a refurb unit. So far I've worked on three of them and they all needed to have it done.
Wouldn't you think that the factory technicians might do this routinely as part of the refurb process? Pretty dumb!

Ask a Question