510/710/910 Main Board the same?

I am a brand new member, but I did a pretty good search (I think) and couldn't find the answer to my question.

I have a 910 with a fried main board. I took the board out of a working 710 and simply installed it on the 910. I can read the hard drive on my computer when it is in the dock but the 910 unit now has a completely white (light grey) screen.

I thought I had read somewhere that the 510/710/910 main boards are all the same. They certainly look the same.

So, why is my screen now white?
Failed to make good ribon cable connection with the screen when installing the new board? Obviously the hard drive ribon connection is fine as the computer can easily access all files.

or

I need a real 910 board, the 510/710 one can't work.

I would take another look at the ribbon cable feeding the screen as it might not be seated under the retainer clip quite correctly, worth taking it out and re-seating it - Mike

Success - kind of

Well I now have the 710 main board installed on the 910 and it boots just fine. The normal start up screen appears on the device. I guess the cable was the problem,

Just a few problems.

The message on the device after the boot screen goes away (the line in the upper right of the screen) says GO 910 but TomTom Home thinks it is a 710 so any 910 functions are unavailable. Even the device, without the computer, will not let me see the US & Canada maps that I can clearly see on the hard drive. Activating them will be my next challenge.

I ran "clear flash" hoping the board would forget where is came from originally, but no luck. Clear flash is not the easiest program I have ever run when it comes to seeing what is happening so I think maybe it isn't actually working for me.

Ideas?

The chipset on the board will have been blown at the factory to include the device type, if it isn't a 910 you can forget the mp3 player or LoqundoTTS voice support - Mike

The serial number and model type are loaded into flash memory on the board.

The applications read this memory and enable/disable features. Some are hardware dependent, some are software based. Since you have the 710 model loaded on the board's flash you probably won't get any 910 features (eg TTS) due to the software thinking it's a 710.

Similarly, your old maps probably won't work, since they'd be locked to the old Tomtom's serial number. If you copy the maps from the old 710 SD onto the 910 hard drive, they may work (assuming the map isn't locked to the SD serial number, some old maps were). You may be forced to buy a map, too.

Clearflash doesn't wipe out the model/serial number, so that people can't share maps and/or get features intended for a higher-end device.

hi there

ive just swapped the hard drive from a 910 into a 510. the maps dont work. they work if you drag and drop the maps from the the 510. amazingly its plays the mp3s i can view all the pictures and it reads texts. so the internals are identical . but the 910 maps need to be activated with the product codes which i dont have.
there is a problem on some of these boards which prevents the battery from charging . i sent one back to tom tom and they fixed it f oc but wouldnt say what the remedy was . i know they didnt change the battery i painted with an ultra violet marker so i could check. hope this helps lol. you can tell i m a tinkerer. i wish i could find my code card for the 910 to see if the maps wouls activate

cheers

magic

Ask a Question