3rd edition better or worse than 1st edition?

TomTom Model(s)
TT One 3rd
Hi everyone, first post here so I'll say hi first.

I just got a 3rd edition and I've already updated the missing items etc. from browsing this site. BUT...my friend has a 1st edition that he'll sell me for much less than what I bought mine for. I'd like the bluetooth and the ability to upgrade to more memory with the SD cards so would it be worth it to return my 3rd edition and just buy the 1st edition?

Thanks!

Where you located?
The ONE Version 1 was available in Europe.
If your friend purchased it in North America, they should have the ONE version 2.

so as long as I update the maps and firmware, it'll be just as good if not better than the 3rd edition right?

Right! You'll be better. Because you have an SD card slot, in the future you can buy the large North America map and put it on a 2 GB card. Or the Western Europe map, if you wish to go over there.

The 3rd Edition has no SD slot, so you are limited by the internal 1 GB memory. Also, if an SD card screws up, you can replace it. If the internal memory screws up, the 3rd Edition becomes an expensive paperweight.

The 3rd Edition has been stripped of some menu items too.

I'm reading this with interest and have a sort of related question. I've confused myself as to the TTOne versions. I understand the V3 has no slot and internal memory. Which I think we all agree is a step backwards. I have a TT One that has no internal memory and an SD slot. I recently purchased for a friend a One that has an SD slot but when I opened the box did not find an SD card. When I looked at the owners manual I discovered it has a 1 GB internal memory. I guess my question is if he uses an SD card will work in addition to (say for maps and such) the internal memory or does it take the place of the internal memory? I did see a thread about this but for some reason can't find it. How is the slot used exactly?

to use an sd card in that unit you have to transfer the system files and maps to the card as it boots directly from the card bypassing the internal memory. this is easily done.

as long as nothing is deleted from the internal memory, it is still useable simply by starting the unit without the sd card.

Ask a Question