350XL TM More street names on maps?

TomTom Model(s)
350 XL TM
Hi Guys,
Just got my second 350XL TM after returning the first one and noticed the new one showed less street names as I moved along then then the first one. Is there a way to increase the amount of names shown. Its not a big deal on guided travel but during a plain old moving map I like know whats coming up.
The unit has been updated with the latest software/maps and it hasn't blown up yet (its been a week of gps nigthmares).
Any ideas?
Thanks,
shaydis

You may be observing one method TomTom uses to get more information (new roads, for example) into a limited space on a map; in other words, data for side streets is removed to gain that space.

Also, if you zoom in on the map, you should see more street names. Are you using 2D or 3D view?

I'm in the 2D (top down) mode. Zooming in and out doesn't seem to increase the amount of info shown. I'm hoping for more of it showing the major cross streets as I come to them. The other thing was the first 350XL TM showed quite a bit of info, so that's why I'm a little confused. I'm going to take it today and see if things are any different. If you have other suggestions, thanks.:)
shaydis

Did you update the device to the latest version (both map and navcore)?

It might be that you are running a different version of the software, perhaps they removed the names in the new version (or vice-versa).

Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm running what ever current updates that TomTom feels free to load onto my unit, it was the same for the 1st unit as well. I have noticed that I get more info in the 3D mode :( (not my preferred mode). I guess I'll have to get used to it.

On a unrelated note and I'm note sure if I should start a new thread about it, this happened to both of my units. In fact its why I returned the first one. The units would loose sat. signal for 2-5 minutes and reset itself 2-4 times. During the sat. blackout it would display Downtown Manhattan as its location. After regaining sat. it would operate normally (so far). This after its been updated with everything from Tomtom and has been use for at least 24+ hours (2 days).
Is this a know bug? Is it normal? Do have to worry about it? I don't think I can convince Best Buy I have another defective GPS. Ideas?
Thanks
shaydis

Well, one way to go about it is to do this:

Use Explorer to delete anything found in the ephem folder on your unit. Then, go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris\ and delete any sub-folders you see there.

Connect to Home and a new gpsquickfix should be offered.

Ask a Question