340s xl - display speed limit and car speed

Greetings. I just purchased a 340XL-s aka XL IQ and i am unable to display both the posted road speed limit and the current vehicle speed. also the warning chime for over driving over speed limit does not active.
i tried change preferences>status bar preference>speed(checked)>show max speed next to speed (checked)
change preferences>safety preferences>warn when driving faster than allowed (checked) sound>polite 2
sound works fine for turns and street names. Thanks for your help!

Not all roads have a default speed limit associated with them on the specifc map. Mainly highways and some main roads. Is that the issue?

Greetings. I just purchased a 340XL-s aka XL IQ and i am unable to display both the posted road speed limit and the current vehicle speed. also the warning chime for over driving over speed limit does not active.
i tried change preferences>status bar preference>speed(checked)>show max speed next to speed (checked)
change preferences>safety preferences>warn when driving faster than allowed (checked) sound>polite 2
sound works fine for turns and street names. Thanks for your help!

On the side roads you can set the speed with mapshare and then the speed will always show whenever you use the road again

My wife has the model 330xls and all paved roads/highways/interstate display the posted speed limit on the left a "/" and the car speed on the right. I only have the car speed in mph displayed in the (horizontal right side) centered with the model 340xls. compared with same car, same roads at the same time.
all updates applied to 340xls. I will check the mapshare settting.

In safety preferences-->Warn when driving faster than allowed. Do you have that checked? If not, do so and see if it makes a difference.

i added my state highway, interstate and local community with mapshare (change road speed) on the tt 340xls and now have the proper display (both posted road speed and current travel speed in mph). This tells me the 330xls and the 340xls uses different USA map data since mapshare is turned off with my 330xls.
I thought the 340xls would have MORE built-in automatic features than the 330xls !

The difference between the 330 and the 340 is that the 340 maps include IQ routing and Advanced Lane guidance.

I am fixing to buy the 340s XL what is your opinion on this TT unit? is it worth the 129 usd that they are selling it for a new one? any quirks or things that would tell me not to buy this unit/ would appreciate your aopiinion since you have one and seem to like it
sonny in south Texas

My wife and I have enjoyed the tt 330xls for six months. i took the tt 330xls, and not my wife, for a 32 hour one way road trip and every map function was on target. I purchased a 340xls last week and after calling tech support EVERYDAY and posting this blog, I am unable to display the highway and interstate posted speed limits next to the vehicle speed. I now find myself constantly having my fingers on the tt 340xls using the mapshare/map corrections/correct a map error/change road speed function to enter the road speed information instead of my eyes and concentration on the road ! (see above posts/blog entry)
I had the 330xls and the 340xls with all updates applied in the same car, on the same interstate, at the same time, with the same option settings and only the 330xls showed the posted speed limit. My opinion is that the 340xls has a design / programming flaw since none of the suggestions seem to fix my display problem. Also many posts dealing with map update file size too big for the unit. I have to wonder if tt took out the posted speed limits to make the update file smaller for the 340xls...hhmm. I should have purchased another 330xls and waited for the third revision of the 340xls.

So does the speed limit show properly after the mapshare correction?

What map version is on both devices? Map 835 is the latest for both, but it's not a free update.

The latest XL340 maps had to be shrunk to fit all the POI and the Mexico map on the in-expandable internal memory.

What road do you see the mismatch? I'll check map 835 on my 720. If it has the speeds and the 340 doesn't, then perhaps speed limit removal is how Tomtom achieved the necessary shrinking.

So does the speed limit show properly after the mapshare correction?
>>manual user entry of street by street information into mapshare>change road speed is not my idea of fun but to answer your question, yes. after i manually enter the info, the proper speed limit and vehicle does display.

What map version is on both devices? Map 835 is the latest for both, but it's not a free update.
>> map usa_canada_and_mexico_p v825.2197 and gps app v8.414

The latest XL340 maps had to be shrunk to fit all the POI and the Mexico map on the in-expandable internal memory.
>>i would happily compromise removing the mexico map to regain the posted USA speed limits

What road do you see the mismatch?
>> it is not a mismatch, the 340xls does not have any speed limits automatically loaded/displayed.
state road 45 aka US41 between ft myers florida and palmetto florida.
interstate 75 between mile marker 111 ft myers and mile marker 350 ocala
state road 681 a small but very useful interchange
interstate 95 between interstate 4 daytona and interstate 10 jacksonville.
US301 - known and verified speed trap area by AAA between ocala and interstate 10
interstate 10 between us301 and interstate 95

according to tomtom phone tech support on 9/18/09, ONLY manually entered mapshare/posted speed limits into YOUR device will work. tomtom home version 2.7.2.1825>tools>mapshare>lowest setting will upload your data but has ZERO to share with you.

another great post/blog is the unability to backup and restore your mapshare data !

then perhaps speed limit removal is how Tomtom achieved the necessary shrinking.

should a consumer that purchased a tomtom 340xls two weeks ago have to pay for the latest map update ?
doesn't tomtom offer to bring your unit up-to-date with maps (atleast once) upon purchase ?
as for me, tomtom home does not show any updates available, either free or by charge

Map 825 is from February.

If you bought the 340 two weeks ago, go to Tools -> Use Latest Map Guarantee in the menu of HOME. It should give you map 835 for free (be prepared to leave it on for 3-5 hours for the map install).

If it doesn't give you 835, call up Tomtom phone support at 866-486-6866, and fax your receipt to get the map.

Tomtom doesn't have too many speed limits, because it has a time-of-day "driven speed" database that is more accurate for routing. Speed limit info on a Tomtom is informational, it won't change your routes.

I'll check if your location has speed limits tonight or tomorrow on map 835 for my device.

verified: speed limit map data WAS removed by TT

Speed limit info on a Tomtom is informational, it won't change your routes.
I'll check if your location has speed limits tonight or tomorrow on map 835 for my device.

I received another response from tomtom escalated tech support. the posted speed limit map data WAS removed. pseudo the iq route feature. it does not change my daily routes, instead it keeps me being a speed limit aware abiding driver.

trivial INFORMATIONAL like how far until your next turn, which direction to turn, location of POI's, menu options that work, customer satisfaction, nothing tomtom should worry about.

Sell it and go with a different brand. Most dont offer displayed speed limits at all so you wont have to worry about it...

Ask a Question