2535 WTE vs 2535 LIVE?

I'm a European living in the US, so I am both interested in the European maps provided by the WTE model, and the Google Local Search provided by the 2535 LIVE model. I would like to have my cake and eat it to, so I have a few questions:

1) Can the WTE model handle the TomTom LIVE services? I presume the WTE model does not include the AT&T SIM to do so.

2) Can the TomTom LIVE be loaded with European maps in the future? Is there enouh storage to do so?

As a long-time Garmin owner (On my 6th one now: Zumo 550), I look forward to trying something different. I'm mostly excited about the HD Traffic, Lane Placement, and Google Local Search functionality.

Currently, there is a 2535 WTE with both NA and European maps but it is not a LIVE model and doesn't have a sim card to make it LIVE.

And the LIVE 2535 model doesn't have European maps on it.

As I understand it, LIVE models in NA won't work in Europe and vice versa since the sim cards aren't compatible between the two continents.

At least I think that's how it works .........:p

You cannot upgrade a non-LIVE model to a LIVE model.

Until Tomtom enables map purchasing on the GO 2535LIVE, you could try a GO 740 LIVE. It has HD traffic, and a sim card slot to fit the purchase of additional European maps.

Problem is: the American GO 740 LIVE and European GO 740 LIVE use different cellular networks, and the sim cards don't roam from continent to continent.

Thanks for the reply! A few more questions.

Until Tomtom enables map purchasing on the GO 2535LIVE, you could try a GO 740 LIVE.

Ouch. You can't yet purchase a Europe map for the 2535 LIVE? :confused: I presume this functionality is due to occur, or are 2535 LIVE owners forever stuck on this side of the Atlantic?

and a sim card slot to fit the purchase of additional European maps.

I think you mean SD card slot here. Does the 2535 LIVE not come with an SD slot or internal space for the European maps?

Yes, I meant SD slot for additional maps, and sim slot for roaming.

The 2535 LIVE has internal flash memory, with no sd slot expansion. Once Tomtom enables map purchasing, the hope is that you can swap out North America and Europe maps on demand with a computer connection, like you can do on all earlier Tomtoms. But without an SD slot, there's won't be enough space to store both maps on the device at the same time.

The GO740 has an SD slot, so you can easily fit maps of the entire world at once if you choose to buy all of them.

Again, beware that the LIVE services only work on the continent it was purchased on, the different cellular carriers and sim cards prevent roaming across continents.

Ask a Question