2050TM Issues

Hi Gang,

Been snooping aorund on the forum now and now I have some issues I'd like to ask.

Just upgraded from 930 to a 2505 in the new yrs, and quite honestly it's starting to bug me...

a few issues that have been mentioned
no updates for it yet
shows up on MyTT as 1005
buggy

A few things that havent been mentioned before
- I have had a few issues with the GPS not catching signal after coming out of an underground parkade... a few times
- Have the GPS malfunction and not boot properly a few times
- Wondering if I can change the setting for Traffic to a manual frequency. The traffic isnt working very well, and most of the time isnt showing proper traffic...

starting to bother me a lot more than it did when I first bought it... anyone have any solutions for the stuff that havent been reported?

Just upgraded from 930 to a 2505 in the new yrs, and quite honestly it's starting to bug me

I really wouldn't refer to it as an 'upgrade' but maybe it's just me .....:eek:

no updates for it yet

Yeah, they missed the end of January deadline for custom pois, didn't they?

shows up on MyTT as 1005

Known issue, sadly.......

have had a few issues with the GPS not catching signal after coming out of an underground parkade... a few times

It does take a few seconds and a stationary unit is more receptive to capturing the signal.

You can try resetting the unit by holding the power button for about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll. It may help.

I really wouldn't refer to it as an 'upgrade' but maybe it's just me .....:eek:
well I was looking at the fact that now with this I dont have to purchase traffic and new maps all the time... but to be honest i kinda feel scammed at this point in time lol

It does take a few seconds and a stationary unit is more receptive to capturing the signal.

You can try resetting the unit by holding the power button for about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll. It may help.
Well I tried that once. The time Im thinking about when I was typing this it was not catching signals for about 2-3 blocks driving (about 10 mins time) so when I resetted it it just froze (fun fun) I dont know if this is "normal" but this machine has always been kinda dumb so I've just dismissed it...

Another complaint I have about this is probably the fact that it's really slow... like not enough ram... much slower than the 930 I had... which right now I kinda miss...

Actually, route planning should be as fast, if not faster, than with earlier models. Don't have too many poi categories showing on the map (more than 4 or 5). That'll always slow down screen refresh.

Actually, route planning should be as fast, if not faster, than with earlier models. Don't have too many poi categories showing on the map (more than 4 or 5). That'll always slow down screen refresh.

well the planning part is faster. but the part when its cycling through the address names (with its auto complete) as you are typing it in feels very lacking or slow. not sure if it's the current version of software being buggy (which i kinda drew conclusions based on so many problem with the unit) or because this unit is malfunctioning somehow...

for example, for street name kingsway, on the 930 when you hit k-i quickly, the words from the auto complete would already be there for you to select, but when you hit k-i sometimes the unit has problems and the auto complete just seem to not function quickly enough.

Not sure if anyone notices that

Also, traffic doesnt seem to be correct for the region at all, a lot of times the traffic info is incomplete, and sometimes there's just no traffic info at all, regardless of how many times i've pulled the antennea off and reconnected it... Had to sit in traffic an additional 20-30 mins today because of that... sigh...

Understand that with rds-tmc traffic, the information is neither as current nor accurate as those models which have LIVE traffic.

It is what it is............. :eek:

- Have the GPS malfunction and not boot properly a few times

Mine does this on occasion as well. You see start up screen come up then go away, then come up and go away again, etc. Finally it comes all the way up after several attempts.

And on mine the planning is very slow on a longer trip, say 3-4 hours than my 720 was. Trips under 2 hours are very quick and recaculating is almost not even noticable it is so quick. But if I plan a longer trip it takes much longer to analyze and plan than my 720. Sometimes I think it's stuck and then it will slowly continue and finally finish.

This week I noticed that instead of "eleven" the unit says "deleven". Must be some mis-spelling in the TTS?

Hope future updates will fix most of these issues...

Understand that with rds-tmc traffic, the information is neither as current nor accurate as those models which have LIVE traffic.

It is what it is............. :eek:

So what I should've picked up instead was a 340TM or 740TM with live series?

Wow it's nice to know that now that I've already spent a bunch of money on a 2505... Im starting to wonder what kind of stuff Tomtom support people actually know... I was never recommended these when I realized i couldnt purchase traffic on my 930 anymore...

not a very happy camper right now... because sometimes I spend an upward of 4-6 hrs on the road a day... traffic updates is just as crucial as knowing where my next appointment is...

LIVE services are not available in Canada.

The rds-tmc is as good as it gets for now, sorry.

The coverage is provided by Clear Channel and here is the area in BC for the signal:
Total Traffic Network

Interesting. But if you look at the coverage section of the site, Vancouver is actually listed :p

Total Traffic Network | Vancouver Traffic

I also notice on the link you provided, the radio stations listed at the top there, Im assuming those two are the only frequencies that you will be able to catch a signal with, which makes it FM only? We have a great AM channel here with traffic updates, but I guess if it's FM only then this wont do :( Because another option I was looking at was manually tuning the GPS to catch traffic...

Personally I'd avoid the 2505. A revised model, the 2535, is set to announce within another few days and available within weeks. Even tho the 2505's were only recently released, I suspect they may already be on the way out.

Well that was a quick response. TomTom just advised me that the 2535 is being added to the model line and not replacing the 2505. Think of it as an improved 2505.

Personally I'd avoid the 2505. A revised model, the 2535, is set to announce within another few days and available within weeks. Even tho the 2505's were only recently released, I suspect they may already be on the way out.

I somewhat feel the same way... I hate it when these companies do things like this. I think i'm going to use my return policy and return my 2505... kinda fed up with the unit as of right now... crashed again yesterday and yet again today...

Last edited:
Tomtom usually runs the same core software across all its supported models, with different features enabled/disabled purely by a serial-number lookup in the code.

So most likely any bugs present in the GO2505 will also exist in the GO2535. And when they're resolved, they'll be fixed at the same time for both models.

Tomtom promised a software update for custom POI by end of January, and usually these updates come with a series of bug fixes too.

While they missed 1/31, I'm almost certain the software release will occur before February 18. Tomtom has a year-end shareholder call on that day, and I bet their CEO doesn't want to answer an investor question on why they can't deliver promised features and/or bug fixes.

Gator any ideas on what 'enhanced' means re the 2535?

Also this would not be a connected model I take it?

I'm almost certain the software release will occur before February 18. Tomtom has a year-end shareholder call on that day, and I bet their CEO doesn't want to answer an investor question on why they can't deliver promised features and/or bug fixes.
You never read one of those >>>transcript of an annual shareholders meeting<<< did you? I can tell you they don't care at all! :)

Oskar

Ask a Question