2002 Honda Accord with satellite radio mount

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
As promised elsewhere, below are pictures of my mounting solution (all pictures are hosted on Flickr). All pictures are without the power cord and traffic receiver since I don't really have an elegant solution for that; they just hang every which way. Still, this should give you some ideas.

First, the final product, then I'll go into how I built it:
3175428419_f5621cb4b5.jpg

The mounting plate itself is a generic satellite radio mounting plate I picked up at Best Buy. It has screwholes in it and is designed to be drilled into place behind the dashboard. On my 2002 Accord I found all that was necessary was to open the center dashboard and pinch the plate into place. No holes, no screws, no mess.
3175428125_c8019ca849.jpg

The disk included with the TomTom has been superglued over the plate (the adhesive tape was not enough to keep the thing in place over potholes and speed bumps).
3175428233_74afa9679c.jpg

I should mention, my previous GPS (Magellan RoadMate 3050T), actually came with screws that matched the predrilled holes on the plate so there was none of this ceramic disk nonsense.

Does the original OEM suction cup work? Yeah, kinda' sorta', but a couple good potholes is all that it takes for the weight of the TomTom to release the suction cup. San Jose has one of the worst-maintained highways of any U.S. major city as far as maintenance, so it was dropping all the time. The Mount Guys had an Arkon suction cup mount that was 10x better. Clean the disk with rubbing alcohol and stick on, then flip the clip shown on the right and you have a fantastic grip on that disk. Best of all, the Arkon mount is very adjustable, so it easily swivels to accommodate my sandbag grip mount in my wife's SUV.
3176262948_d72c16e59c.jpg

So again, without the suction cup it looks like this:
3176262644_1f251e0bbd.jpg

With the suction cup mount and TomTom it looks like this:
3176263276_0f12dfa143.jpg

It's tilted slightly so that it's easy to see and reach from the driver's seat even though it's sticking out of the passenger's side of the climate control center.

Ask a Question