2 different North America map sizes (help)...

I've read through the forums, but I'm still slightly confused by this...

i have a TT GO720
app: v 7.221
map: North_America_2GB 710.1584

Now when i plug my TT into TT Home v2 ... and go to "add maps" it shows that the map i have installed (North_America_2GB) is 1225.4MB ... there is another map that i have downloaded on my computer (North_America) that is also a 710 version that is 1723.1 MB

so do i keep the North_America_2GB version, or do i remove it and install the North_America version?

from what i read, the larger version may be for the TT920 and have voice features, hence the larger size ... but im not totally sure.

any help greatly appreciated =)

I've read through the forums, but I'm still slightly confused by this...

i have a TT GO720
app: v 7.221
map: North_America_2GB 710.1584

Now when i plug my TT into TT Home v2 ... and go to "add maps" it shows that the map i have installed (North_America_2GB) is 1225.4MB ... there is another map that i have downloaded on my computer (North_America) that is also a 710 version that is 1723.1 MB

so do i keep the North_America_2GB version, or do i remove it and install the North_America version?

from what i read, the larger version may be for the TT920 and have voice features, hence the larger size ... but im not totally sure.

any help greatly appreciated =)

On your unit, in the North America map folder is a file named North America.pna (or whatever the name of the folder is). Look at that file with Notepad and notice the build number.

Now then, in your documents/tomtom/ .... /map folder will probably be two separate NA map folders, with slightly different names. They will be in zipped format. Look in each and, again, look at the build numbers in the .pna files.

I bet what you'll see for the larger map are: 1) a pna build of 1609 AND a poi.dat file about 270 megs. For the smaller map, I think you'll see: 1) a build of 15xx and a poi.dat file of about 75 megs.

In other words, if you have the room, you want the more recent build map on your unit --- many more poi's and a few improvements to the map.

However, if you're short of room, you can copy the larger poi.dat file (if indeed it exists) to the other (smaller) map and still have a decent map with the many more poi's.

I hope the above isn't too convoluted.

p.s. even the smaller version has the voice features: Text-to-speech and the ability to get Voice Recognition.

Ask a Question