1st Trip - Observations

TomTom Model(s)
One
I just completed my first long trip using a GPS, TT ONE 125. I traveled over 4,300 miles, in three weeks, through the mid-west and eastern US. Here are some observations based on records I kept during my trip.

The GPS was right on about 80% of the time.
About 10% of the time it was "close enough" to find my destination, with a little searching.
About 10% of the time it was so far off I would never have found my destination if I did not know the area.​

In one instance the GPS was on the wrong street almost 1/2 mile away even though the correct street was clearly on the map. I just happened to have seen the sign for the motel while driving by the day before.

When it was "close enough" I was able to find my destination by driving up and down a couple of blocks looking for the address.

"Most" of the time routing was acceptable, meaning it would eventually get me to where I was going.

The TT did a good job of re-calculating the route when I missed a turn by accident or intentionally. (It can be a bit stubborn at times wanting me to turn around.)

I am curious as to what others have observed in these situations.

Bob Forkner

PS It was a bit upset when we got on the ferry to cross the Delaware River.

Do you have the most current map installed for the unit? Tap the satellite bars to see the application version installed and then tap the version number to see the map installed and its version number.

I assume so. When I connect to my computer it says Your map is up to date. I also assume that Automatic Updates will tell me if there are updates available.

The version listed on the device says Map: 'United_States' v830.2323 and the App says 8.014

Bob

Last edited:
You can't assume anything that Home tells you is correct.

The latest map version is 835. If your unit is less than 30 days old, call support at 866-486-6866 and tell them you want the latest map. They may ask for a scan/fax of your receipt but then they should add the 835 map to your account.

My receipt is dated August 2, 2009. I guess I could try giving them a call. I was sure I updated the map after I bought it. Does resetting to factory settings change the map to the original?

After the trip I had a problem with the "Add New Favorite" screen. Two icons, one on top of the other. I don't have a clue how that happened. It looked like resetting to Factory was the easiest way to fix it.

Thanks, Bob

Resetting to factory defaults will not revert to an original map but will cause you to lose all custom settings.

See more detail here

I was only concerned about the map. I knew everything else got reset as expected and desired. The TT ONE doesn't have that many settings. Takes 5 minutes to put all of the custom stuff back.

I did try a few things regarding the worst error. I tried my brother's Garmin and my son-in-law's Magellin GPS units as well as Google. They all had the same errors so I doubt a new map would fix anything. Mapquest and Yahoo got it right. It looks like a TeleAtlas issue.

Bob

The 125 is shipped with a pretty old map. Latest Map Guarantee should have given you the latest Tomtom map. The latest map is 835, released on 8/20, and the prior map was 830. If you ran the Latest Map Guarantee in early August, that's why you got map 830.

routes.tomtom.com has the latest Tomtom maps, Google usually does too. If your issues aren't fixed on those websites then map 835 won't fix them either.

Guess I should follow up. Problem is that I was on vacation before the latest map came out and my 30 days was up before I got back.

Maybe a phone call on Monday to see if they will make an exception.

Thanks for the explanation,
Bob

Oh, so your 125 came with map 830 preloaded? That's a surprise - map 830 was released in May, and I thought the 125 discontinued production before then.

At this point I'm really not sure what it came with. I bought the device on Aug. 2nd. I "thought" I upgraded to the latest map shortly after I bought it. That must be where "Map: 'United_States' v830.2323" came from which is what it has now.

I left on vacation on Aug 15th. Now I learn that Map 835 was released on Aug 20th. I didn't return until Sep 5th.

So, it appears that just a few days after I upgraded to 830, a new map was released but I didn't find out about it or have a chance to obtain 835 until Sept 5th since I was on vacation.

Bob

OK, so that makes sense.

From what I understand, Latest Map Guarantee will only give you one upgrade. So you wouldn't be eligible for 835 since you already used your upgrade for 830.

Tomtom phone support will sometimes bend the rules if you get a compassionate rep.

I don't think too much would change in the 3 months between the May 09 830 map and the August 09 835 map. So if Tomtom won't let you upgrade, I wouldn't worry too much.

If you're curious about a specific road, check out the road on routes.tomtom.com (which has map 835).

This is getting VERY interesting. I too doubt that the changes to upgrade would be worth it. Maybe before a big trip in another year. Now here is where it gets interesting...

I went to routes.tomtom.com and entered: 111 S Market Place Blvd, Lansing, MI (from hotel website)

It returned the following "suggestions":
  • 111 Market Place Blvd, Knoxville, TN, US
  • 111 Market Place Blvd, Peachtree City, GA, US
  • 111 Market Place Blvd, Farragut, TN, US
  • 111 Market Place Blvd, Cartersville, GA, US
  • 111 Market Place Blvd, Concord Farragut, TN, US
  • 111 Market Place Blvd, Tyrone (Fayetteville), GA, US

Next I went to maps.google.com and entered the above. It got the right city but the wrong location. (Market Place Blvd. is on the Google map on the west side of I-96.)

Next go to maps.yahoo.com and it finds the correct location. Next try mapquest.com and again it finds the correct location.

I doubt I am going to spend a lot more time on this issue but I will verify new locations in the future.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Bob

I'm confused!

I have an XL340s, I purchased it on 8-17-09. In your posts it was stated that the latest Map was 835. My unit shows map version 825. So i called TomTom supoprt, and that guy told me that if i have an 800 version it the newest. He also said if TomTom home told me I had the latest version, then it was right. Im Not convinced. What can I do?

Thanks,
Eric

I have an XL340s, I purchased it on 8-17-09. In your posts it was stated that the latest Map was 835. My unit shows map version 825. So i called TomTom supoprt, and that guy told me that if i have an 800 version it the newest. He also said if TomTom home told me I had the latest version, then it was right. Im Not convinced. What can I do?

Thanks,
Eric

Call and get a different rep, the last one was wrong. Map 835 is the latest. The latest map guarantee in HOME should give you map 835. HURRY HURRY HURRY - the deadline for getting the free map is 30 days after purchase.

I actually recalled them before your reply. While the first person disputed what you said the second one told me that ver 835 was the latest available and didn't know why tomtom home didn't show it. Basically verifying everything you said. guess I know who I trust:D. thanks loads!

Eric

I doubt upgrading the map will help. As far as I'm concerned the maps stink. They show my house a mile down the road from me.

Yes, there are many errors in maps, by TeleAtlas which is owned by TomTom and provides maps to TT as well as NavTek, provider of Garmin maps. That doesn't make it right, just reality.

You can report the error using mapshare and, as a matter of fact, can also move your home location from the incorrect location to the correct one using mapshare corrections so that when you navigate to 'Home', it'll go to the right location. Better than nothing, I guess ........

Ask a Question