1505TM map animation issue

I've noticed when I'm driving and have the map in 3-d view, the map will sometimes skew (for a lack of a better word) from side to side a bit.

In other words, I'm driving on a straight road, the map image will kind shift a bit as if I've turned slightly, then it will go back to center, it does this on a farily regular basis. It's not a big shift, but it is noticible.Should I exchange it for another or is this normal.

I just purchased it yesterday and didn't really notice it until this morning. I'll try to post a video on youtube and provide a link, or is there someway I post the video on this board?

I've noticed when I'm driving and have the map in 3-d view, the map will sometimes skew (for a lack of a better word) from side to side a bit.
I wonder if you mean only side-to-side or whether it rotates a bit while it skews?

A straight side to side skew that takes you off road on the map indicates that either your GPS signal isn't good enough to keep you where you are, or it indicates that the map data isn't entirely perfect (it rarely is) and the feature that tries to snap your position to a road is shutting down because there is too much difference between your detected position vs. the position of the road.

For rotation: I see that when I have a poor satellite lock. Most often occurs when just leaving the house with just the minimum number of blue bars. Sometimes comes with a good bit of side skew as well until I get more satellites locked up.

Nope. Sent me to a webmail login, and unable to view a video there.

I guess the primary issue is to clarify what you meant. Which of the following are you seeing?

1) your car icon / arrow jump from side to side on and off road
2) your car icon / arrow jump from side to side onto adjacent road
3) your car icon / arrow rotate with respect to your actual direction of travel while remaining on road
4) your car icon / arrow rotate with respect to your actual direction of travel while taking you 'off road'

Okay, your driving on the hwy, the image of the hwy you are on is on the TomTom, the hwy image runs from the bottom of your screen to the top. As I'm driving the image shifts or tilts if you will, then will correct itself and be centered again.

Hold a pencil out in front of you at arms lenght with the point up, now tilt it a half inch right or left then return it to center. That's about the best way I can describe it. THe pen is the road I'm no in this example.

So what you're saying is that it's #3 above, but it's the map that is rotating and your car icon / arrow remains in a vertical position. Either way, you're staying ON the road, but your car / arrow is not being shown in the same axis as the road upon which you're traveling. Correct?

If so, that's not that uncommon, even on older units, when you've got less than an ideal satellite lock. So I guess if you're in agreement with the above, we ought to be talking about how often this occurs, and why your satellite reception might not be what it could be.

Update: Okay, here’s what I think is causing this issue (may not be one), when I’m on a relatively flat or level stretch of road, no problem, however when I’m on a road, street or highway with hills, it happens.
I noticed the image of the road I’m on, when I’m on a flat road, is nice and straight, however when I’m on a road with hills, the image of the road has some small jags in it that correspond with the hills. When I navigate past the area where the hills are, I get the effect I was telling you about. It’s like the unit is interpreting these hills as if they are turns. As I pass them the image moves as in your example 3, once I pass the area, it corrects itself. The movement is very small, but there none the less. Maybe this is just normal behavior.

Ask a Question