1500+ Miles and no issues with Rider2

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2, OneLE, XXL540TM
Hey All,

Having received my Rider v2 in November in Northeast Ohio, I really hadn't got a good chance to mount it up to the bike and see how things worked.

Well, this past weekend (well, Thursday-Sunday) I met a few friends in Cincinnati and we headed off to Deals Gap (if you don't know where it is, Google it, you must try to get there, this was probably my 4th or 5th trip) We ran the dragon once, but we were more interested in the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) roads. We stayed in Maggie Valley, NC and went to see the Wheels through Time Museum (well worth the $12.0o to get in). We decided to do some off roading rather than tearing up the asphalt.
Going over dirt roads is something new to my BMW R1100RS, so that part was interesting in the least, but I must say I surprised myself.

Anyway, my reason for posting is that the GPS unit worked flawlessly for the entire trip without an issue. I was bounced all over the place and never once lost power connection to the bike. The headset (scala rider) was great for spoken directions too, but only up to about 55 mph. I really like the trip logging abilities of the system, but thinking back I should have loaded TYRE or tripmaster to get a better log of the actual location rather than the speeds and travel times.

I was also impressed that many of the dirt roads were actually loaded, we only ran into a few roads that the GPS could not find. I will warn
you if you map a route to check the roads, we once mapped ourselves down a ski resort road, (mostly loose gravel) because the GPS told us too. It was kind of funny after a day in the gravel (and me saying ENOUGH!!!!) to have to do more (oh well...LOL)?

Hey, I was up there too

1200 miles guided by a 720

I rode the dragon only once as well - too much cruiser, police, etc

It was fun to glance down and see what type of curve was coming up

I am extremely pleased with my RR2. I havnt had any issues with it, and the features it has are superior to the Garmin Zumo line (IMHO), infact my buddy that has a Zumo 450 wishes he bought a Rider2.

Make sure you update to the HOME 2.3 and application 7.45, it makes the RR2 even better!

Cheers

Hey, I was up there too

1200 miles guided by a 720

I rode the dragon only once as well - too much cruiser, police, etc

It was fun to glance down and see what type of curve was coming up

What was real fun was exiting one of the "mountain roads" at mile marker #4. We came out of the woods right into the middle of the dragon. I'm downloading the pics from my friend right now. I'll try to post the one of me taking my bike through 1.5 feet of water at a stream crossing.

I want a dual sport now... We were hoping to get a Harley to follow us on the mountain roads...

Here we go... You can even see the TomTom over my left hand...

Water_Crossing.JPG

I want a dual sport now... We were hoping to get a Harley to follow us on the mountain roads...

lol, its no problem having a Harley follow, its just that they will be waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind.

Did you know that 80% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road?

The other 20% actually got home......

;)

Cheers!

ps: I have a Suzuki VStrom, love it (109,000km on it so far)

lol, its no problem having a Harley follow, its just that they will be waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind.

Did you know that 80% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road?

The other 20% actually got home......

;)

Cheers!

ps: I have a Suzuki VStrom, love it (109,000km on it so far)

Well my brother, looks like we have a couple of things in common, then !
I'm ridin' a '04 dl-1000 !
Whenever you have 5 minutes of idle time, go check my site, it shows a trip to Lake Ockeechobee, one to NC including The Dragon and a Florida run in the sun.
Enjoy!

http://www.themicocci.com

Ask a Question