140s no computer voices available

Recently purchased the 140s. I deleted some voices to make space for the map upgrade. I was able to manually upgrade the map successfully. However, now i've lost ALL computer voices. The voices are in the loquendo folder and the voices do show up in the HOME program. I've tried re-installing, removing, etc. I know it just has to be a missing file but cant figure out which one. Only the recorded voice show and they work fine. But the whole point of the 140s is the computer voices. And, no I didnt not do a backup. :(
Any ideas?

You could make a complete Explorer, not Home backup now.

Then, delete the complete Loquendo folder.

Connect to Home and download a computer voice from there and let it install.

If that works, make a new Explorer backup.

You could make a complete Explorer, not Home backup now.

Then, delete the complete Loquendo folder.

Connect to Home and download a computer voice from there and let it install.

If that works, make a new Explorer backup.

Tried that. I deleted entire Loquendo folder. downloaded susan computer voice. Installed just fine. But it still will not show up on the tomtom when going to preferences / voices. Only the recorded voices appear.

*scratching head*

Are you trying to select it using Home's emulator or on the unit itself? If in Home, you can't select a computer voice that way.

Connect your unit to Home and go to the Manage My Unit option to see what is listed under voices. Is the computer voice listed there?

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with my 140s. I just got it today, updated the software and map, after making a backup. Now, all computer voices are gone. If I try to install new computer voices, Home tells me they are not supported by my device. The backup is no help, because after the software update, the restore/backup button is grayed out in Home and tells me the feature is not available on this device.

Are you trying to select it using Home's emulator or on the unit itself? If in Home, you can't select a computer voice that way.

Connect your unit to Home and go to the Manage My Unit option to see what is listed under voices. Is the computer voice listed there?

In Home under manage you can remove any computer voice and go back under add voices and choose computer voices and add it that way or you can choose the re-install option under add voices.

Yes, under Manage My Unit option computer voices are listed under voices.

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure you have the 'S' model? Home, being wonky may have allowed for the download of a computer voice for a 140 (not 140S) but a 140 can't implement it.

Are you absolutely sure you have the 'S' model? Home, being wonky may have allowed for the download of a computer voice for a 140 (not 140S) but a 140 can't implement it.

yes Im sure it's the 140S.

I finally resolved the problem by calling support. Ill share it here so that others can fix it without spending 2 hours on the phone and going thru 3 different support agents. The computer voices did not work because the tom tom application for IQ Routes edtion S was corrupted. This application had to be removed under Manage and then added again by pressing check for updates. After it is removed close the HOME program as you will need to rename the tomtom folder located in your documents folder. Proceed to open the HOME program and the automatic updates will show the application available for download. The download is an older version of the application and then after it is installed the automatic updates will show the latest version which will have to be installed as well. The size that is download says 24.9mb but the actual installed app will be 12.5mb. That really confused all the support reps for some reason. After the app installed all the computer voices showed up just fine.

Last edited:

Ask a Question