140S help / update errors

TomTom Model(s)
140S
I plugged my TT into my Mac, and Home opens, wants me to update my software. I do that, and during the install to device, about 3/4 the way thru and a error happens and the update quits.
Then it tells me I have no maps available.
So I call TT Customer Support and I'm instructed to scan the TT for errors, then format it, and will have to reinstall everything. Ok, easy enough, I do all that but I keep getting errors during the install of the software. I did save a copy of the error report, if that matters.

By now I'm getting pretty ticked off. I've made 4 calls to TT, and spent 4/5 hours now trying to fix it.

Customer Support tells me my TT is no good, and offers me $10 off a new device. Which I think is crap, there software update hosed my TT, and now there gonna tell me there's no fixing it & go buy a new one. B.S.
I fiind it hard to believe that my unit just up and died like that, during a software update. We've only used this thing like 4 or 5 times over the past year that we have owned it. When it's not being used, it's lived in a desk drawer.

Do any of the TT gurus here have a suggestion, short of going out and buying a new GPS?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks.

Last edited:
Have you got a backup on the computer? if so format the device (FAT32) and copy the backup to the drive letter associated with the TomTom using whatever the file explorer capability you have available on a MAC, try to avoid using Home as its as good as useless - Mike

Thanks Mike for replying.
I think I have a proper backup saved. I did like you said, and copied the back up files and dumped them onto a fresh fat32 format.
I'm still getting No Maps Found.
It looks like there is no map contained within the back up copy. BUT there is another folder where the backup on my computer is at called Complete. Inside that folder I see a Map folder. I tried to move that on to the TT and now it says not enough free space. Not sure if or what I can delete on here to free up enough room.

Man, how frustrating this has become. I'm bout ready to say screw it and just go buy another one. And it won't be a TT.

Apparently, on a Mac, the operating system puts athrash can on the device itself and you have to manually delete the files in there.

Supermod canderson has more information on that but, as I remember, it's that which will often cause the 'insufficient space' on a tomtom unit connected to the Mac.

Wait for him to pop into this thread or pm him about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Found the thread he posted the information in:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/24424-no-maps-found.html

Read through it and see if you can get things to work.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been reading around on another post with same / similar issues.
I think the last format I tried was a Quick Format, so going back and gonna try unticking that and have another go at format & reinstall.

I forgot to mention, I have access to a win7 lappy. TT cus service told me to stop using the Mac and use the Win to format.
The back up files are on my Mac.

Last edited:
I don't know a Mac, obviously, but I think that for a Mac, the choice you want is DOS format. In other words, I don't think it offers fat32 as an option.

Could be wrong ......... often am..................:eek:

Thanks! I've been reading around on another post with same / similar issues.
I think the last format I tried was a Quick Format, so going back and gonna try unticking that and have another go at format & reinstall.

I forgot to mention, I have access to a win7 lappy. TT cus service told me to stop using the Mac and use the Win to format.
The back up files are on my Mac.
Yes - go ahead and format without Quick Format selected.

Then clear out any trash can associated with your TomTom https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/24466-how-free-up-space-when-using-mac.html

Then connect to Home and get the latest application for your unit or use the backup data you already had for that.

Then use that map that's sitting in "complete" and install it per dhn's recommendations here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Ask a Question