12 month map updates (sneaky)

I regularly update the speed cameras, which I have subscription for 12 months, so when I saw a map update I downloaded it.

However after 6 months I have been told that my maps are out of date and my subscription is no longer valid.

Apparently I am only allowed 4 map updates per 12 months period????? Is this right????

I just think its sneaky that Tom Tom encourage you to go and get your new maps, with frequent e mails and then you discover after 6 months you have an up to date map but

Its all the more galling when I paid ?39.80 for the Upgrade to the latest map and another ?39.80 for the Map update service.

?79.60 for 6 months service!!!!!

Never again

That's what I kinda thought, but didn't realise.

Still think its sneaky, I have to remember how many updates I have downloaded, yet I can get speed camera updates as many time as I like.

How sneaky is it when the information is CLEARLY spelled out in the Subscription offering screen that it involves 4 updates over the next year????

From the UK site describing the subscription:

Because roads change so much every year, TomTom likes to make it really easy and affordable for customers to use the most accurate and reliable map available.

Anyone with a TomTom device can take advantage of our smart TomTom Map Update Service. This service gives you every single release of your map over a fixed period, from the equivalent of just ? 7.95 per quarter.

You will be prompted every time a new release of your map becomes available by TomTom HOME.

Plus, in between map releases, you can make corrections to your map ? such as road closures, and points of interest ? through Map Share? technology.

The options

12 months ? that?s four maps in a year.

You will be prompted every time a new release of your map becomes available by TomTom HOME

That's obviously happened in the last 6 months .......... 4 times!!!

Which means I go and up date them, but I don't know if there may or may not be other updates in the following 6 months, do I just hang on and hope there isn't???

If there isn't that's fine, but if there is, which seems to happen, then I am left with out dated maps for 6 months unless I want to subscribe again and the whole thing starts again.

If it was stated that TOM TOM are going to issue every 3 months (4 times every 12 months), then fine, I know that I will get value for money, but for them to keep updating them 8 times per 12 months is not on.

This service gives you every single release of your map over a fixed period, from the equivalent of just ? 7.95 per quarter.

That implies that I will get every single release over the 12 months ............. which patently isn't true.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the TOM TOM as a product, but I might as well just get the single update every 12 months.

I accept that I should have been more careful in tracking how many updates I have chosen to download, but I do wonder how many other have fallen for this?

Shadowfax, my point is that the bold print of 4 maps per year was not added by me.........it was there on the site, a couple of lines below what you quoted......

You can accuse TomTom of a lot of things, often with justification, but to accuse them of being 'sneaky' when they offer you what they SAY they will offer you is NOT one of these things!

You will be prompted every time a new release of your map becomes available by TomTom HOME

That's obviously happened in the last 6 months .......... 4 times!!!

Map Releases
v815 - Nov 10th 2008

v825 released 27th February 2009

v830 Maps released 18th May 2009

v835 Maps released 20th August 2009

v840 maps released 24th November 2009

So if you if you updated to the newest map(v815) in Nov 2008 and then signed up for the Map Service you would have gotten all (4 ) the Maps released over the next 12mnths and be currently sitting with v840.My understanding is there is only a new map every three months,are you saying you get more ?which unit and which Map i.e. Central Europe.

I updated and paid on the 25/7/09

1 Map Update Service - Western & Central Europe ? 39.80 ? 39.80
1 Upgrade to the Latest Map (original map discounted by ? 50%) ? 39.80 ? 39.80
TOTAL: ? 79.60

I dont think I've upgraded 4 times, as I remember having to re enter my favorites, I found out how not to lose them the 2nd time

My present map is Western and central Europe v8.351

So in response to the last post, its seems like I don't have the latest, which I should have had ....... so Mr supermoderator, your response please???

Mr Supermoderator says to call UK support:

0845 161 0009
Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 18:30 GMT

(don't waste your time with emailing)

and ask what is going on and why weren't you offered 840 as part of your subscription series.

v825 released 27th February 2009
v830 Maps released 18th May 2009
v835 Maps released 20th August 2009
v840 maps released 24th November 2009
Those are the numbers of the last four maps, with 840 being the current one.

To find out the number of your current map. tap the satellite strength bar and then tap the Version number (which in your case will be 8.351) The 5th line, starting with Map gives you your current number.

I updated and paid on the 25/7/09
I dont think I've upgraded 4 times,
[ ... ]
My present map is Western and central Europe v8.351
As mentioned above that number represents your Operating System, the navcore.

Before you call Support make sure you checked out the current number so it will look right.

Ask a Question