1005 - Acquiring Network Address

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1005 World
Hi

New owner of a Go Live 1005 World. Have only had it since last Friday.

Went through the myTomTom procedure as instructed, but got completely stumped. MyTomTom application appeared in (Windows) tray, but perpetually shows "Go Live 1005 Connecting".

Meanwhile I can see that a new network connection has been created for the TomTom, which is continuously showing "Acquiring Network Address".

When I failed to resolve this on my desktop, after several attempts to uninstall and reinstall, I then tried on my laptop, and that worked perfectly. So I know I am doing things right, and everything is ok with the actual kit.

My problem is that I wish to use my desktop for the TomTom - the laptop is old, has limited diskspace (I had to delete a lot of stuff to enable the map update), and generally lives in a cupboard.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to diagnose/solve the problem? Both machines are running Windows XP.

Other than this problem, have been having fun with the device. Which is good, because before I had success on the laptop, I was preparing to throw it out the nearest window!

Chris

Would the main computer have a firewall or anti-virus blocking proper communications between device/computer that the laptop doesn't have?

Both machines have firewalls and AV, but I turned off the firewall and AV on the desktop, but it didn't change anything.

However, I just had a bright idea, that while it hasn't solved what was going wrong, it has bypassed it for me.

I plugged the GPS into my laptop, and let myTomTom connect.

I then went into a DOS session and ran "ipconfig /all" to give me all the details of the TomTom session.

I then plugged the GPS into my desktop, and waited for the Network Connection to appear. When it did, it was in perpetual "Acquiring Network Address" again. So I went into properties for the connection, and then edited the TCP/IP properties, using the values I'd got off my laptop.

Disconnected the GPS, rebooted my desktop, reconnected the GPS. Instant connect, and everything is working.

So whatever the problem is, it is the computer seeing the DHCP provided via the GPS unit, in order to get an IP address.

What I don't know is if this will give me a permanent solution. According to the ipconfig, I have a lease on this IP address for the next 24 hours.

However, even if it means I use my laptop for regular use, and pull this trick with the desktop any time I need to do something like grab new maps etc., it's an improvement.

Nice bit of detective work there, sir!

I've learnt something today now. :)

Cheers.

Anyway, I am now a happy bunny. Having connected successfully, I have now managed to upload some meaningful warning messages to assign to speed cameras, and work out how POIs work.

....I have now managed to upload some meaningful warning messages to assign to speed cameras

Out of interest, where did you get the speed camera warnings from? (professional interest as I edited up the warning voices for the PocketGPSWorld camera data).

Also, is this for the built-in camera warning system? Because you can only have messages about the camera type with the built-in warnings. But if you use an alternative camera database provider (such as PGPSW, plug.plug...) then you can have the TomTom read out the speed limit as well, as you approach a camera.

Excellent work - yes, I used voices from PocketGPSWorld. I used the Vicki Archer consolidated set, for the built in camera warnings. I did consider the separate speed solution, but to be honest, I'm pretty sure that the default warning will be all I need, and it means I don't have to think about keeping it updated separately. I'll see how I get on.

However, the voice warnings are a 100% improvement on the rather anonymous pings and bells that it came installed with. Am considering recording a "Who do you think you are - Stirling Moss?" to trigger when I exceed the speed limit. (Perhaps that would be a little too long, though...) :)

Maybe just a recording of an approaching police siren would work....? :D

Well, it's now been a few days, and my explicitly addressed (i.e. not using DHCP) TomTom is still connecting correctly.

However, it puzzled me why DHCP wasn't working - the answer was a Doh! of the first order. At sometime - no doubt when the machine was sluggish - I went through Windows Services and made any service that I don't use day-to-day non-Automatic (i.e. so I don't spend the first 10 minutes of a boot waiting for something that I use once a year). This is not an insignificant saving, as my machine has about 4 different VPN clients installed, all requiried by different customers, all draining resources on my poor underpowered PC..

While "pruning" my services, I must have stopped the DHCP client running on the machine. After all, my PC had an IP address assigned, what did it need DHCP for? Re-enabled the DHCP client, and reset the TomTom network to the default setting, and it all works.

So you can add this to your check list if you like - if anyone reports a similar problem to mine, get them to check the status of "DHCP Client" on the machine's services. And if that is not the answer, my fix still works.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. Glad it appears all sorted for you and, as well, good information that others may utilize in the same situation........

Much appreciated. :thumb:

Maybe just a recording of an approaching police siren would work....? :D
Didn't canderson say that his favorite sound for that purpose is the submariners' "Dive, Dive, Dive" horn whoop? :eek:

- Tom -
Yes, specifically, a Nav2 sound that I found it necessary to import to my Nav3 units. On Nav2, it is called "Beep 5". Certainly effective at getting MY attention!

Ask a Question